DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tips, tricks or common issues?

dajain

Reactions
I have been playing with cheap drones for a while now but finally bough a decent drone. Just waiting anxiously for delivery.

Like the title says, any advice for these little drones?

Is the advertising correct about distance and fly time in real world flying.

Any advice is always welcome.

welcome to the forum use the search facility there is lots of advice about the MM

Yes as omm said and do pay close attention to flying
in any wind. That seems to be the main issue lots
are having. Do not try any distance flying until you
truly understand it only goes so fast and if the wind is greater then it will back up fighting it and if you panic you
will lose it. Not trying to worry you just be aware of it’s limitations.
Oh..watch out for trees.
Don’t ask. ?
ADDED- Take a little time when you can and look through
this section. Mavic Crash & Flyaway Assistance
You might learn from other’s mistakes. I do. ?

Last edited:
Looking over the manual right now (online PDF) and looking at the calibration. How often do people have to do this? It gives recommendations but do you owners have a preference? Would it make it a better flight experience if you do it before every flight? My previous drone had the same process but had to be done before every flight.

Reactions: old man mavic
Not in my opinion. I only do it when the app ask for it.
You possibly could do it in a metal infested spot and that
cause you issues.
JMO

Just a little info. I really don't have to worry about trees here, just huge rock cliffs. I live in Southeastern Utah on the Grand Staircase that ends up at the Grand Canyon. Plenty of wide open spaces as long as I don't fly into a cliff. lol.

Another luxury I have is lack of airports. There is not a commercial airport within 120 miles from me. :)

I also run an off road recovery business and can be 150 miles out from civilization and hoping this drone may help in location of the stranded vehicles, that's why I ask about distance.

Thanks for the input guys!

Welcome and here's one tip: After turn on always wait for the voice confirmation that "Home Point" has been established, meaning that you have enough satellites for GPS lock for stability and the proper "Return to Home" point. If you takeoff too early your HP will be established where the Mini is at the time it gets the lock, which may not now be near to you but the MM will use that point to return to. Hopefully not over a tree or water...

I try to do as the voice says "check it on the map" and often manually move and reset the HP in a better spot than where it is taking off from. If needing to use RTH note that as it tries to land it will be close to the HP but it's not a precision landing and may be of by a few feet so I'll often move HP a little bit to keep away from trees, water edge etc. You can always stop the RTH and auto landing and manually land it exactly where you want.

Enjoy!

The last drone I had was GPS connected and the minimum i have seen is 13 sats. I seen up to 19 several times. City problems are not a problem here.

So, if I happen to fly past the transmission range, will the drone "return to home" with a lost signal? If so, how reliable is it with the mini?

Love all the info! Thanks guys. Just want to be ready for my first "adult" drone flight. Very excited duh

Well, FedEx says it will be here today. Still reading the manual. Thanks for all the info guys! Appreciate it all.

I see a photo button but can videos be posted here?

Just saw on the news FedEx just shut down an hour ago and went on strike ?
jk
Yes you can upload photos from your device but as far as videos you have to put them on YouTube or Vimeo or whatever you use and place the link in your post.
Now don’t get all in a hurry when you get it just take baby
steps in a field or large area void of trees and get a feel for it
and look forward to seeing anything you post.
Be sure and post you photos/videos in that section.
Good luck and fly safe Thumbswayup

The app might not speak that HP has been recorded if it gets busy with other notifications and you certainly won't hear it if your phone volume is low or muted. However if you get a green "OK to fly", then you should have GPS lock with corresponding HP set.

Triggering RTH on signal loss is reliable, though depending on the nature of signal loss, you may be prompted to confirm RTH.
The success of RTH itself, no matter what engaged it is dependent on two factors:
If your AC is within 60ft of HP, it will land rather than go home.
If winds are too high, it might not have the power to combat the wind. RTH mode has the same speed/attitude angle limitation as normal mode.

I would suggest getting the feel of the MM's capabilities in an open area/field at low altitude and distance. Say less than 100ft up and less than 500-1000ft out to start.

Read the downloaded manual thoroughly while you're waiting for the MM's delivery.

Reactions: Drgnfli and dajain
I have been playing with cheap drones for a while now but finally bough a decent drone. Just waiting anxiously for delivery.

Like the title says, any advice for these little drones?

Is the advertising correct about distance and fly time in real world flying.

Well, FedEx says it will be here today. Still reading the manual...

OK ... good, you're on the way with the manual Thumbswayup

But I'm pitching over my "Newbie Card" to you anyway ;)

Read the user manual ...the thick downloadable one, not only the quick start

Power on in the right order ... First power on your RC & start the app ... after that, power on the drone (& do it on the spot you're going to take off from). Reverse order to shut down.

Before take off ALWAYS ... add in one very easy check to avoid a really scary event coming from launching from a magnetic disturbed place with following flyaway at height in an uncontrollable "toilet bowl" shaped flight path. After powering on your drone, connected to your RC/app & placed it in the take off spot ... but before lift off, ALWAYS check that the drone icon on the map in your app is pointing equal to reality ... if not abort launch attempt & move away and try take off elsewhere.

Keep well under the wind spec were you fly
... and please note that it's not only at ground, it's at the altitude were you fly. The winds up to 400ft are very different then on ground.
Use for instance the UAV Forecast app were you can get a feeling about the wind on higher altitudes, but please note that it's forecasts we are speaking of, a bit of common sense is good to apply to that ... "better skip flying a windy day & fly more another day".

Don't go & calibrate everything on a regularly basis ... why fix thing's that are working, it's just a higher risk that you by mistake calibrate your compass in a magnetic disturbed area & the drone goes haywire 10 meters up in the air. Calibrate IMU + compass according to user manual, keep away from magnetic things like cars, metal tables & reinforced concrete at take off & compass calibrations. If the app recommend a compass calibration first try another launch spot on a far distance from the first ... if calibration still is recommended by the app do it, but only then.

Don't launch in a hurry ... wait until you have at least 8, preferable 10 locked satellites & wait for the lady voice announce that the Homepoint has been updated, check then on the map that it's in the correct spot. Learn how the RTH function works, don't set the altitude for that unnecessary high, look around were you are going to fly and set it to clear the highest obstacle, to high & the drone risks a blow away.

Seek up a large open place ... a soccer field, free of obstacles & people. Test off every function one at a time until you fully understand how it works & the logic behind, confirm through the user manual if needed. Fly low, slow & near.

Take the claimed control distance from DJI with a pinch of salt ... only doable out in the countryside completely free of WiFi disturbance & obstacles in between the Remote & Aircraft.

Don't use the RTH button as a "panic button" it's usually the weakest mode of them all ... you will always have access to more power in the manual modes ... if slow against a bit to strong head wind, go for Sport mode, drop altitude & maneuver the drone home manually.

Learn the rules & regulation ... keep the drone within Visual line of sight, if you can't avoid going out of visual keep it at least in line of sight (unobstructed line between Remote & Aircraft even though you don't see it).

That's all ... Good luck, fly safe & be happy :D

Download UAV Forecast, it’s free and is an eye opener for wind aloft. My experience is that the MM does ok in wind below 20mph but keep it low and fly into the wind. Don’t push your luck on battery life. When it hits 30 percent, start to bring it home unless you’re already fairly close. Watch out for power lines, they’re sometimes hard to see on your screen. I get an honest 22 or 23 minutes of flying time (in cold weather) before it hits 25% and wants to come home. Once activated, you only have 48 hours to get the DJI insurance. After that, it’s a pain to get. The cheap range extenders really do work if you need a little more reach. Respect the privacy of others and get to know your local drone rules and regulations. Around here, the furthest I’ve got was 1.25 miles. You’ll probably reach out further, but legally you’re required to fly within your eyesight (VLOS). Be careful about updrafts and downdrafts around canyons, also big birds have been known to dislike drones and attack. I know this post is a bit scattered but I wanted to add to help. Happy flying!?

Power on in the right order ... First power on your RC & start the app ... after that, power on the drone (& do it on the spot you're going to take off from). Reverse order to shut down.

Before take off ALWAYS ... add in one very easy check to avoid a really scary event coming from launching from a magnetic disturbed place with following flyaway at height in an uncontrollable "toilet bowl" shaped flight path. After powering on your drone, connected to your RC/app & placed it in the take off spot ... but before lift off, ALWAYS check that the drone icon on the map in your app is pointing equal to reality ... if not abort launch attempt & move away and try take off elsewhere.

... and please note that it's not only at ground, it's at the altitude were you fly. The winds up to 400ft are very different then on ground.
Use for instance the UAV Forecast app were you can get a feeling about the wind on higher altitudes, but please note that it's forecasts we are speaking of, a bit of common sense is good to apply to that ... "better skip flying a windy day & fly more another day".

Don't go & calibrate everything on a regularly basis ... why fix thing's that are working, it's just a higher risk that you by mistake calibrate your compass in a magnetic disturbed area & the drone goes haywire 10 meters up in the air. Calibrate IMU + compass according to user manual, keep away from magnetic things like cars, metal tables & reinforced concrete at take off & compass calibrations. If the app recommend a compass calibration first try another launch spot on a far distance from the first ... if calibration still is recommended by the app do it, but only then.

Don't launch in a hurry ... wait until you have at least 8, preferable 10 locked satellites & wait for the lady voice announce that the Homepoint has been updated, check then on the map that it's in the correct spot. Learn how the RTH function works, don't set the altitude for that unnecessary high, look around were you are going to fly and set it to clear the highest obstacle, to high & the drone risks a blow away.

Seek up a large open place ... a soccer field, free of obstacles & people. Test off every function one at a time until you fully understand how it works & the logic behind, confirm through the user manual if needed. Fly low, slow & near.

Take the claimed control distance from DJI with a pinch of salt ... only doable out in the countryside completely free of WiFi disturbance & obstacles in between the Remote & Aircraft.

Don't use the RTH button as a "panic button" it's usually the weakest mode of them all ... you will always have access to more power in the manual modes ... if slow against a bit to strong head wind, go for Sport mode, drop altitude & maneuver the drone home manually.

Learn the rules & regulation ... keep the drone within Visual line of sight, if you can't avoid going out of visual keep it at least in line of sight (unobstructed line between Remote & Aircraft even though you don't see it).

I just read this and it’s excellent!?

Reactions: dajain and slup

Just one cuestion... if you’re using a non gps positioned device, such as an iPad mini WiFi, the drone icon on the map in your app will not be pointing equal to reality. Your position in the map will be based in a WiFi connection, which isn’t accurate at all. This way, the icon in the app shows your drone position related to this supposed position of the rc. Even sharing your cell phone connection whith your tablet, it will show a wrong position, and it can’t me manually set in the map.Flying is easy with a big map displayed, real problem comes when you have to use the find my drone function, as it don’t shows your realposition.
F5084B43-1DBE-4B91-868B-683FD520739D.jpeg

Just one cuestion... if you’re using a non gps positioned device, such as an iPad mini WiFi, the drone icon on the map in your app will not be pointing equal to reality. Your position in the map will be based in a WiFi connection, which isn’t accurate at all. This way, the icon in the app shows your drone position related to this supposed position of the rc. Even sharing your cell phone connection whith your tablet, it will show a wrong position, and it can’t me manually set in the map.Flying is easy with a big map displayed, real problem comes when you have to use the find my drone function, as it don’t shows your realposition.
View attachment 96395

The heading relative the map north & position of the drone icon (in the red circle) on the map both in the Fly app & GO4 comes from your drones GPS & compass ... your mobile device have nothing to do with this ... & when I write "equal to reality" I mean that the drone shall point in the same way to other objects in the map as the drone does in reality.

1583959105481.png

Below symbol (in the red square) from the Fly app however ... is depending on your mobile device compass.

1583959350889.png

Having played with cheaper drones, and only one with GPS, I have seen what he wind can do with these things and this one being so small and light, I will keep the flying to calm days no matter what.

Wanna hear something funny everyone? I got the drone package today and BAM, power goes out for scheduled maintenance. No battery charging for me today. haha

By the way, love how other questions are coming in. Great way to get an inside scoop on things others have questions about that I wouldn't think of.

Thanks everyone!

The heading relative the map north & position of the drone icon (in the red circle) on the map both in the Fly app & GO4 comes from your drones GPS & compass ... your mobile device have nothing to do with this ... & when I write "equal to reality" I mean that the drone shall point in the same way to other objects in the map as the drone does in reality.

View attachment 96396

Below symbol (in the red square) from the Fly app however ... is depending on your mobile device compass.

View attachment 96397
That’s the same I said

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique