DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

100% New to Drones - Need Assistance Please!

Thanks Oman. I'm finding that more in the $900+ range. Are you seeing it for less? Btw, I just moved from MA after 22 years. Where in MA are you? Best, Lyman

You can get a refurbished mini 3 pro from DJI for less - I just bought one with the RC controller (which I LOVE - it is worth the extra $$$ - you don't need to use your cell phone any longer). That will increase your budget a bit though..... You can also get the RC-N1 controller that uses your cell phone to save some money.

Another option would be to get a mini 2, which are quite a bit cheaper, and are still a really good drone. You can practice on it and if/when you have outgrown it, you can get something bigger/better/more full featured.

My initial flying for sometime will be line of sight without question. And it appears that I'm going to have to go over budget as I do want the Obsteridal Avoidance. Those sensors to me would seem to be worth the extra money it will add to the appropriate Drone model. And there are allot of models to choose from.

Please know two things about Obstacle Avoidance (OA):
  1. You need to know which directions your given drone has OA on (most aren't omnidirectional - the mini 3 pro has no sideways or upwards OA)
  2. OA is not foolproof - especially with things like branches and powerlines.

Only cheap, old-tech drones used Wifi.
Real drones use radio signals that travel much further than wifi.

You do need a screen which could be a cell phone, of an 8 inch tablet or a controller with a built-in tablet.
Cell connectivity is not necessary.
Thanks Meta4. I've got both so I should be all set!
Best,
Lyman

I seem to remember from somewhere that a part of Illinois is connected to the”Windy City”. If where you are is on the windy side, I would not lean towards anything that includes the word”Mini”.
The 30 minutes of fly time will be the challenge based on your budget.
The Mavic2 Pro is a decent unit and in pre-owned form is close to the dollars mentioned.
Your questions here are the correct starting point and plenty of members here to get them answered.
Fly safe!
Thank you, Starz! I struck Gold, here. I sincerely appreciate the wealth of information provided by yourself and everyone else. I was stunned by the wealth of replies and great information.

As I pointed out elsewhere and have to change, I am not from Illinois but just moved to Northern Michigan. No clue as to why I hit 'Illinois' when registering but changing it as soon as I respond to all the replies.

Many, may thanks!
Lyman

Please know two things about Obstacle Avoidance (OA):
  1. You need to know which directions your given drone has OA on (most aren't omnidirectional - the mini 3 pro has no sideways or upwards OA)
  2. OA is not foolproof - especially with things like branches and powerlines.
Ahhhh....thank you. Very good to know. Thank you!

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

You have already received a lot of good answers to the drone choice, I'll add the Air 2s to the mix. It does well with wind and has a 1-inch sensor for better images.. Take your time and read what each drone offers and get one that best fits your needs and budget. One non-DJI drone that I would recommend is the Evo Lite Plus. It also has a 1-inch sensor, does great images, and has no GEO fencing issues.

Welcome aboard. If you ever have any question's about your Hardware or Software, this is the place to come for help. You have access to years of experienced Drone Pilot's knowledge in this Forum. I don't post a lot, but I love reading and watching the other members Videos and Photos of places I know that I would never see, if not for members sharing their post. So have fun with whichever Drone you decide on.

Thank you, Hauptmann! Greatly appreciated! Do you know if State Farm covers, for instance, flying into a brick wall? Just a scenario, no plans to do so <grin>. In other words, total annihilation? Best, Lyman
State Farm is all risk insurance.Theft,loss(into the ocean etc),fire.Even if you dropped it off your table and it became inoperable they will pay for a replacement.However,I have seen it sad that your claim goes into the national database so your homeowners can be affected even if it's with another insurance company.

State Farm is all risk insurance.Theft,loss(into the ocean etc),fire.Even if you dropped it off your table and it became inoperable they will pay for a replacement.However,I have seen it sad that your claim goes into the national database so your homeowners can be affected even if it's with another insurance company.
Thank you! I just reached out to them two minutes ago and will advise what they say.
Again, thanks!

Welcome aboard. If you ever have any question's about your Hardware or Software, this is the place to come for help. You have access to years of experienced Drone Pilot's knowledge in this Forum. I don't post a lot, but I love reading and watching the other members Videos and Photos of places I know that I would never see, if not for members sharing their post. So have fun with whichever Drone you decide on.
Thanks Mac$$. This certainly IS the place to go given the rapid response time and the depth of knowledge already shared. I was fortunate to find this Forum, no question about it!
Best,
Lyman

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake