DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Title 49/107

What LEOS do enforce is city law, which, from what I have seen locally, is a much bigger issue for drone operators than compliance with Part 107. Cities are very good at writing lots of stupid laws that grossly overreach the city's powers by trying to regulate flight. Unfortunately cities can regulate use of land, so laws that prohibit take off landing and ops in area x, y, or z are legal and their LEOS enforce them. As a result, in some parts of the country its almost impossible to fly anywhere inside a city.

Reactions: PoonDog
I think the key words in the discussion are "FAA LE guidance". Based on my reading local LE isn't required to do anything. The FAA would like cooperation with local LE to be notified of violations but my guess is if what someone is doing isn't a clear hazard to life or property local LE isn't going to get involved.

I think the key words in the discussion are "FAA LE guidance". Based on my reading local LE isn't required to do anything. The FAA would like cooperation with local LE to be notified of violations but my guess is if what someone is doing isn't a clear hazard to life or property local LE isn't going to get involved.

^^^^^ BINGO

Reactions: Thomas B
Keep in mind is that your state may have an ordinance similar to a federal ordinance. You can be arrested and charged with violating a state ordinance and the case referred over for federal prosecution, if they so choose.

This is topic will never be resolved on the forum! Every state's laws are different. For instance, Connecticut law authorizes state and local police to arrest people for violations of federal law.

Reactions: BigAl07
Keep in mind is that your state may have an ordinance similar to a federal ordinance. You can be arrested and charged with violating a state ordinance and the case referred over for federal prosecution, if they so choose.

This is topic will never be resolved on the forum! Every state's laws are different. For instance, Connecticut law authorizes state and local police to arrest people for violations of federal law.

And when it comes to Aviation NC "models" many of it's State Laws after existing Federal Laws.

While not completely solving the morass, in AZ the state reserves to itself the right to make all laws regulating drones.

My state (New York) has an ordinance for everything :(. That said LE in my area has their hands full dealing with crime on the ground so dealing with local ordinances is not a high priority on their list of things to do. I'm pretty sure the vast majority don't have a clue about federal or local drone laws. An example, I was going to fly near a boat launch and a town park range happened to be in the parking lot so I figured I ask him if it was permissible to fly in the area. His response was "I guess it's o.k." I could tell he had never been asked the question and probably no training on the issue.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rustjan