DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

To Hot To Fly!

I'm more cautious than most. This was an expensive toy to try and fly recklessly Imo.

I was pooping my pants when I took it 250ft up last night lol
It is never a bad idea to be cautious, and a case of nerves can cause an accident very easily. Fly at your comfort level first and foremost.

Reactions: mad monkey
I've reached uptown 72celcius on my MA batteries in the Aussie summer, so far so good but scary none the less. These run much hotter than the spark and mavic pro. I regularly reach 51+ Degrees plus in winter so I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Why is it that nobody ever gives a thought to their device/phone/tablet?
The demands we put on the $2. chip in our phone is astronomical. But, no DJI sold me a bad product. DJI is only half of the equation.

Well I'm near Phoenix and its been over a 100f and a few over 110f for the past few weeks and no end in sight, I had 1 day it hit 118:(, if I get out a 530am its a around 85 to 90 and I can fly a little say 1 or 2 batteries. Daytime flying is all done till Sept maybe not even then.:mad::eek::oops:

One of the reasons I selected the white canopy was because I theorized that it would be better in the hot sun. I wonder if it makes a difference? Thoughts?

A few years ago a mate and I took an infrared contact thermometer into a car park on a hot Australian summer day to check vehicle temperatures. Ambient shade temp was around 38ºC. The surface temperature on the darker cars was on average 8-10ºC warmer than the light coloured ones. All were well above ambient. White was best, sliver next warmest. There wasn't a Delorian so we couldn't check brushed stainless steel. The interiors were warmer than the metal surfaces but the difference was less - we guessed that the area of glass was a significant factor in interior air temperature. The interior highest temperature we measured was over 65ºC.

Well I'm near Phoenix and its been over a 100f and a few over 110f for the past few weeks and no end in sight, I had 1 day it hit 118:(, if I get out a 530am its a around 85 to 90 and I can fly a little say 1 or 2 batteries. Daytime flying is all done till Sept maybe not even then.:mad::eek::oops:

Just curious - why would you live in a place that hot?

Another factor is air density. The hotter it is and the more humidity in the air, the less dense the air becomes; so flying is proportionally less efficient.

Cool dry air is your friend!

Its 114 F right now humidity 8%

Another factor is air density. The hotter it is and the more humidity in the air, the less dense the air becomes; so flying is proportionally less efficient.

Cool dry air is your friend!

Just curious - why would you live in a place that hot?
Well theres over 5 million people live here in the Phoenix Metro area so must have some attraction. I can be in much cooler area in about 70 mins..In Jan. its 70, 9 months out of the year its very pleasant, We have about 300 sunny days a year

Keep in mind radiant heat too - As Pietros pointed out, dark colors absorb heat more than lighter colors and MP/Ps are dark grey (obviously except Arctic White) as are 2 of 3 MAs. Us humans might seek shade but 400' feet up it's a bit harder to find plus the craft is (typically) in constant motion so any shade (e.g. cloud cover) is temporary at best. All it took was an early summer day/flight here in Central Texas and when I went to change the battery for a new one, (1) the 'old' one was WTH?! HOT when removed and (2) the 'new' one had a 'heat warning' flash pattern even though it was in the shade with me... Except for a lucky, post-rain/cloudy day, Iv'e put my birds up until fall.

Here in Ottawa today , it reached 36C

WOW, that is some temp. for up there.
Down here in Arizona it gets WAY too hot to fly after about 9:00 am and is still too hot to fly in the afternoon / late evening. We get up about sunrise and go flying then. By about 10:00 it is too close to 40C; I am not willing to take chances with my hardware.

View media item 2072

I’m here in AZ as well and so far the Mavic Air has handled the heat. Fingers crossed ;0)

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters