DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

To Skin or Not to Skin.

Do you have a skin on your drone(s)? If you're planning to get one then consider that a "Yes."

• Yes, I do have a skin on my drone(s).

Votes: 33 45.8%
  • No, I do NOT have a skin on my drone(s).

Votes: 39 54.2%

• Total voters
I am hoping this light and dark check will cover me against both light and darker backgrounds.

it was not easy to skin with this package .. Some of the parts cover a lot of area (leg especially) and if you start even a little off it is exaggerated further away with the skin.

Attachments

• check.jpeg
    check.jpeg
    210.5 KB · Views: 8
I've always skinned every device I've ever had. From iPods and iPhones to Xboxes and PCs, I've always skinned them everything. I skin skateboards and OneWheels and charging blocks and Jul vapes.. lol I skin anything I can because I think MY IDEAS are better.. lol This is Including my recent Mini 2. I wasn't real happy with the latest mini 2 skin but maybe thats the point here... I'm "evolving."

So, with this NEW Mavic 3 that I just received, I'm starting to think that I do NOT want to cover this BEAUTIFUL "Precious" of mine up. Its "dark package" just OOZES coolness and swagger to me. Personally, I think its B.A.

I would like to know where people stand on this subject and if skinning is as popular as I think it is. Please vote and comment.

Thank you for your time. :)
I'm not sure I want to be unique in this environment.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
I am hoping this light and dark check will cover me against both light and darker backgrounds.

it was not easy to skin with this package .. Some of the parts cover a lot of area (leg especially) and if you start even a little off it is exaggerated further away with the skin.
With a skin coloring and pattern like this is your drone mistaken for a police drone?

I have an Air 2S and I fly in Florida therefore am concerned about overheating. Do the skins go on the bottom of a drone and, if so, do they affect cooling?
Skins do (can) go on the bottom of the devices but they are all cut out so as to NOT hender air flow. None of the "vents" are covered... If you had a skin in BLACK or real dark it might increase the heat level on a sunny day, of course, but only because it's black not because it restricts ventilation.

I've always skinned every device I've ever had. From iPods and iPhones to Xboxes and PCs, I've always skinned them everything. I skin skateboards and OneWheels and charging blocks and Jul vapes.. lol I skin anything I can because I think MY IDEAS are better.. lol This is Including my recent Mini 2. I wasn't real happy with the latest mini 2 skin but maybe thats the point here... I'm "evolving."

So, with this NEW Mavic 3 that I just received, I'm starting to think that I do NOT want to cover this BEAUTIFUL "Precious" of mine up. Its "dark package" just OOZES coolness and swagger to me. Personally, I think its B.A.

I would like to know where people stand on this subject and if skinning is as popular as I think it is. Please vote and comment.

Thank you for your time. :)
I skin mine. 1. Because I like the look. I'm not much into conforming visually and 2. because I oftentimes find myself standing above my drone flying through canyons or valleys below and the bright colors I chose stand out against almost any natural backdrop...at least in the desert. I also thought that if I ever experienced an unplanned cessation of flight, it would be a lot easier to see pink, red, and light blue in the desert scrub than a charcoal gray drone. But again, I like to be at least a tiny bit different.

I did try a different skin before the current one I fly but found that it blended with the rock and scrub much better than even the charcoal gray that is standard. Live and learn.

Oh, I don't ever plan on unscheduled cessations of flight, who does, but in the off chance one happens, I hold out hope that even the thin skin might save me some minor scratches or dings. Of course, that won't be an issue if the drone is in pieces, but one can hope.

Skins do (can) go on the bottom of the devices but they are all cut out so as to NOT hender air flow. None of the "vents" are covered... If you had a skin in BLACK or real dark it might increase the heat level on a sunny day, of course, but only because it's black not because it restricts ventilation.
Since the bottom of a Air 2S, and I assume other drones, looks like a conventional heat sink I was thinking the skin might reduce the radiation of heat through that area. BTW I made note of your comment about the vents which is the most important consideration for dissipating heat.

With a skin coloring and pattern like this is your drone mistaken for a police drone?
Since covering mine I have looked on the internet for drones the police use in UK and non looked checked like this. The do have the colours but not checked which surprises me thinking about it. I don't fly anywhere near people at all so this is purely for me.

Reactions: mavictk
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ