DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

To those who have Fly More Combo...

Hi Jhun80. What you're considering is the worst you can do with a battery. I have a masters degree in electronic engineering from MIT. Without going into battery "memory" details what you want to do is FULLY CHARGE all your batteries - then FULLY DISCHARGE them - at least five times in a row, ( one cycle won't work) otherwise the battery will never achieve FULL charge capability (ever) and why some people complain they get LESS minutes then "advertised" from the battery manufacturer. Do this about ever six months or so. ALSO - don't leave the batteries (fully charges) sitting in a charger. Do a full charge then unplug them. If its been more than a day or two you can put them back in and "top off" the battery before a flight. Hope this is helpful to U :)

Never, ever fully discharge a LiPo battery it will destroy it. Referring to ‘memory’ is irrelevant with LiPo’s they do not suffer the same memory effect that inflicted NiCad batteries.

Reactions: OneQuickSix
I do rotate my 3 batteries......having had my M2 zoom for a month down, each has been charged 18 times.

I am curious why others take the time to number their batteries when each has a SN written right on it that can be even be seen on Airdata. The last two letters is how I keep track though perhaps all companies don't serialize their batteries like DJI.

WDK
Because when I use that paint stick and put a number on it.....it's much easier for htese old eyes to read than the serial number. I do use Air Data and my batteries are named with the drone type and corresponing painted number.

Reactions: Tentoes
Because when I use that paint stick and put a number on it.....it's much easier for htese old eyes to read than the serial number. I do use Air Data and my batteries are named with the drone type and corresponing painted number.

I used a gold sharpie to put big A, B and C on them.

Reactions: WobblingWillie
I assume (uh-oh!) that it is okay to leave them on the charger when fully charged? That is, I assuming that a charger from DJI in the year 2020 is a smart charger, and is not trying to keep the battery maxed 24/7.

PS> Maybe the batteries can't/won't do the discharge to 60% after sitting for a while IF they are on the charger?

Last edited:
I assume (uh-oh!) that it is okay to leave them on the charger when fully charged? That is, I assuming that a charger from DJI in the year 2020 is a smart charger, and is not trying to keep the battery maxed 24/7.

PS> Maybe the batteries can't/won't do the discharge to 60% after sitting for a while IF they are on the charger?

The reason they discharge themselves is it's hard on them to stay at full charge.

Do you guys used all 3 batteries already? Like charged all of them, then toggle to each batteries, use it when it ran out? Because I only used 2 for now, and been keeping 1 as a "new" uncharged battery as for a future spare. Not a frequent flier, no problems with charging 2 batteries.

My question is, will the 3rd uncharged battery remain as new?(doesn't make since lol)

Is this a good idea or not?

Any inputs welcomed. Thanks
From my understanding, the batteries are designed to discharge after a certain amount of days, I know with the go4 app, you can set the discharge rate, but to make a long story short, I’m using 4 batteries with my MA2, that I rotate when flying

Thanks. Yeah, so I just checked on one that I know I have not used in at LEAST a week (been messing around more with my Mini) and it is still at 100% ... but it is still plugged into the charger. I like leaving them there so there are "locked-in" and not loose, able to be knocked off the table, etc. But if that is going to shorten their life, I'll definitely start unplugging them.

All sounds good ,but what happens if you got 3 batteries and don't fly for 6mths ?
Charge them up once a month, let them discharge through internal software. Not a good idea to leave batteries idle for 6momths, they'll end up useless probably.
Goes for all Lipo batteries, not just drone ones. As stated earlier, they will degrade ovet time if not cycle charged periodically.

So two general battery questions while we're on the subject:

1. "Goes for all Lipo batteries, not just drone ones. As stated earlier, they will degrade ovet time if not cycle charged periodically. " So this goes for Lithium-Ion batteries as well, I assume?

2. What is the reason they could not use NiMh batteries (hold a charge forever, ala Eneloops). Is it a low charge density and/or weight issue I am guessing?

So two general battery questions while we're on the subject:

1. "Goes for all Lipo batteries, not just drone ones. As stated earlier, they will degrade ovet time if not cycle charged periodically. " So this goes for Lithium-Ion batteries as well, I assume?

2. What is the reason they could not use NiMh batteries (hold a charge forever, ala Eneloops). Is it a low charge density and/or weight issue I am guessing?

1. Correct.

2. NiMh batteries are substantially heavier and would lead to reduced flight time. They do also have a lower charge density compared to LiPo batteries. LiPo’s also have the advantage that they can be made to any size.

Hi everybody, so I have not flown my air2 and I have had it nearly 2 months, I charged all 3 batteries when I first got all 3 batteries showing 50% so now I am charging again hoping I will sell before I need to do it again as no place to fly thanks col.

Hi everybody, so I have not flown my air2 and I have had it nearly 2 months, I charged all 3 batteries when I first got all 3 batteries showing 50% so now I am charging again hoping I will sell before I need to do it again as no place to fly thanks col.

No place to fly?

Yep only bought it for holiday but that went pair shape and live in built up area near airport southend so got to go might get one in September to fly next holiday only wont to get some film of caves in flambough as to old to get down cliff happy days.

1. Correct.

2. NiMh batteries are substantially heavier and would lead to reduced flight time. They do also have a lower charge density compared to LiPo batteries. LiPo’s also have the advantage that they can be made to any size.

Thumbswayup Thanks, Rigs!

I fly till they die, replace, repeat. I'm not ever shooting pics or vid, just flying.
Welcome to the "flyer's Only"... It's very rare to read someone being more interested by "flying" than shooting video or pictures!
Maybe we can start a new "post" about " flight technics" ?
Would be interesting as I'm from Belgium (french speaking) and maybe there is differents "approach" ... I'm almost new on this forum so could start a new "post" ?
PS; something to start with;
Question: can a pilot bring some techniques to the "drone sector" and... vice versa?
Bob (Retired commercial pilot with 5000 hours (manned AC) & Phantom + Mavic drone pilots today).

If you turn the battery over, opposite the pins is the SN which I use for my rotation, no phone, no laptop nor Airdata necessary, just your vision. No nasty scribble with a magic marker, felt tip pin or numbered piece of tape......the ultimate grab and go and you can see it in your phone, laptop, as well as Airdata. If you ever have a problem with it, DJI is going to ask for the SN, not weather or not its battery 1, 2 or 3, I simply use the last two letters so for me its not necessary to write on it when the info is already there.

WDK
The numbering of the batteries is for quick reference, usually on the top with a label or tape. I have not seen many folks other than on here write directly on the battery with a marker but instead most folks use a removable label of preference. It's much simpler to use reference numbers like 1, 2, 3 instead of having to look at the serial number on the other side. Perhaps only a couple mins of effort to label. But hey, whatever works for you is all good.

I don't think having one's own reference label(s) would be confusing if asked by DJI, a serial number is hard to miss so the point you made is not really applicable.

Yep only bought it for holiday but that went pair shape and live in built up area near airport southend so got to go might get one in September to fly next holiday only wont to get some film of caves in flambough as to old to get down cliff happy days.

Hope you get to fly soon and get a holiday too. Very strange times that we’re living in.

Thanks very much, it is what it is all good stay safe and keep flying.

I always take at least 3 batteries to every shoot. On drones equipped with intelligent batteries that discharge automatically after a set period of time, I top them off before heading to the job. And as others have stated, let the batteries cool down before charging. It does increase their useful life.

The numbering of the batteries is for quick reference, usually on the top with a label or tape. I have not seen many folks other than on here write directly on the battery with a marker but instead most folks use a removable label of preference. It's much simpler to use reference numbers like 1, 2, 3 instead of having to look at the serial number on the other side. Perhaps only a couple mins of effort to label. But hey, whatever works for you is all good.

I don't think having one's own reference label(s) would be confusing if asked by DJI, a serial number is hard to miss so the point you made is not really applicable.

I am simply saying for me it’s already numbered/ labeled and can be referenced just as easily as 1 2 3.

WDK

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_