DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

To Wait or Jump Right In

kgreylgrey

Reactions
Hi All,

I'm trying to decide between a MPP or a P4P and am leaning towards the MPP - really like the low noise level and portability, but wish it had a better camera. I don't NEED a better camera, but would certainly pay for one if it were available and reasonably priced.

Anyone heard rumors that DJI is looking to release a MPx with a better camera setup? Just hate the idea of dropping a $1K on a product and then end up with 'buyers remorse'. Given the popularity of the current MP models and the biggest con of the MP is the camera, I think it would make a lot of sense.

Thx,

Ken

The only reason you'd need a better camera is if you were a professional photographer. 99% of people couldn't tell the difference in the quality of pics & videos between a Mavic & a P4P.

Reactions: pixl
The only reason you'd need a better camera is if you were a professional photographer. 99% of people couldn't tell the difference in the quality of pics & videos between a Mavic & a P4P.
In truth the camera on the Mavic is total garbage. That said - and I have been a professional videographer for nearly 15 years - the Mavic simply rocks. There are a few good programs that can be used in post to help clean up the image, like Neat Video which can remove the key-frame deficient flicker. And, at the end of the day - sadly @james_mav is correct - the majority of viewers simply don't know the difference. I have shot some stunning scenery using the Mavic, with zero regrets that I wasn't shooting on a better camera.

Reactions: go fast and pixl
The best camera is the one you have with you.

That's what swung it for me, i couldn't decide between the Mavic and p4p, but so pleased i got the mavic, so many times ive used in places i know i would never have had the p4p with me cos of its bigger size.

As for waiting for a better model, you could, then you could not get that one in case they bring a better one out -which they will- whatever you buy be it a computer or a drone or whatever will soon be bettered by the next model, all waiting does is means you miss out on the hours of fun you could be having waiting for the better one to come out :)

Reactions: Glennyboy and pixl
It's worth adding here as an example: from the time I bought my Inspire 1 Pro there were persistent rumors of the imminent release of the Inspire 2 -- a machine that was going to fix all of the issues of the Inspire 1 and improve the camera equipment. Of course it took almost 2 years for the Inspire 2 to become available (the rumors were always guesses anyways), and guess what? It was a better machine in almost every way. But there was a new problem -- it was too good for much of the Inspire 1 crowd -- in fact it was/is a true pro cinematography machine. It is also a more expensive "system" of interchangeable components.

Not surprisingly, the Inspire 1 community is still alive and well and not abandoning their bird for the upgrade. After 2 years of anticipation, most have found, upon reflection, that the drone they have satisfies their needs.

The moral of the story (especially with DJI) is to not wait for the next new and improved drone. The improvements you're hoping for may occur, but at a price. And honestly, $1000 for a machine this capable is a pretty sweet deal. They've come a long way in 5 years.

By sitting on your hands and waiting for the next "better" version, you're missing out on the enjoyment you could be getting from it right now.

By sitting on your hands and waiting for the next "better" version, you're missing out on the enjoyment you could be getting from it right now.

As Van Halen said, lo so many years ago: "You might as well JUMP..."

vanhalen.gif

Reactions: NinjaNut
lisadoc - Ouch! My eyes! My eyes! You should be kinder to old men.:)

Well, the collective advice seems to be to go for it. And I do believe the video/pics will be satisfatory for my needs. Last time I shot video/pics from a drone was 2012 with a Naza fc, gopro (no gimble) and home built hex - so today's technolgy is far more advanced.

However, it looks like l'll still have to wait - the MPP is curently sold out. Anyone know of a supplier with MPP's in stock?

lisadoc - Ouch! My eyes! My eyes! You should be kinder to old men.:)

Well, the collective advice seems to be to go for it. And I do believe the video/pics will be satisfatory for my needs. Last time I shot video/pics from a drone was 2012 with a Naza fc, gopro (no gimble) and home built hex - so today's technolgy is far more advanced.

However, it looks like l'll still have to wait - the MPP is curently sold out. Anyone know of a supplier with MPP's in stock?
Amazon is always a great way to go, especially if you have Prime. Also, Costco is selling a bundle that you may like.

Personally, I recommend the Fly More Bundle. I don't use the case, but everything else makes it a pretty good set-up.

In truth the camera on the Mavic is total garbage. That said - and I have been a professional videographer for nearly 15 years - the Mavic simply rocks. There are a few good programs that can be used in post to help clean up the image, like Neat Video which can remove the key-frame deficient flicker. And, at the end of the day - sadly @james_mav is correct - the majority of viewers simply don't know the difference. I have shot some stunning scenery using the Mavic, with zero regrets that I wasn't shooting on a better camera.

Saying that camera on the Mavic is "total garbage" is totally misleading. The truth is that camera on Mavic is like camera on flagship smartphones.

Reactions: 4wd
Anyone know of a supplier with MPP's in stock?
DJI hasn't started shipping these yet. They were supposed to be shipping at the end of September, so I suspect we'll see some arriving soon.

When do you buy. There is always new models but like anything they all come with hitches. My short experience is the mavic

When do you buy. There is always new models but like anything they all come with hitches. My short experience is the mavic
Simple! Buy when you are ready. Don't ever wait for the next version, unless it's been announced and is forthcoming. There will always be bugs. Most of the original Mavic's bugs have been solved with firmware updates - as will be the case with each DJI drone. If you have the money, and are itching to fly - then buy...

I got the Mavic because of its portability. I always have it in my car and it is nothing to take it anywhere. You never know when an opportunity for aerial photography presents itself (or just a chance to fly for fun). This is truly an amazing machine.

I got the fly more combo at B & H Photo and would recommend them. Their web site shows them in stock now (Drones: Aerial Drone Photography - B&H Photo). I also recommend a Polar Pro filter set and if you are flying indoors, the Propeller Guard set (indoor flying is tricky and for $15 these really reduce the stress). Since I use a larger tablet, I got the Skyreat tablet holder (the older style that folds almost completely flat). All of this (except the charger and propeller guards) fits inside the carrying case that comes with the fly more combo.

Get it and don't look back.

Last edited:
I am new here, do not have my Mavic yet, but what others have said is rings true in my experiene. Best camera is the one you have with you.

I am coming from a Phantom3 Pro. I liked the drone, but the size was an issue. Fixed arms and landing gear, plus the large controller meant a big full size backpack just to carry it. It was cumbersome, especially if you were someplace were you needed other gear so had to carry 2 bags. I literally noticed this within a week of having the P3P. A P4P will be similar in requiring more space/volume to haul around which probably makes it less likely you will bring it with you everywhere and thus miss opportunities to use it. MP batteries are a significant amount cheaper than P4 batteries as well. $150/ea, vs $79/ea, so you can buy many more and fly even longer for the same $.

If you are not stuck on the MPP(From my limited research the only difference is slightly longer flight time and 4dB noise), maybe consider the MP Fly more bundle as mentioned. MP you can find used for a good deal, either here, or check your local craigslist.

Saying that camera on the Mavic is "total garbage" is totally misleading. The truth is that camera on Mavic is like camera on flagship smartphones.

That's not really the truth either though, the Mavic's sensor is the same size as some of the flagship smartphones but the performance certainly isn't the same and the Mavic hardware doesn't do anywhere near as good a job as extracting the image quality out of the tiny sensor. It sounds negative but I would agree the Mavic camera is very poor quality on any measurable scale, it has very little dynamic range and a lot of noise which is aggravated by very aggressive noise reduction which smudges the detail, there's almost no latitude in the raw files to help work around these. I don't see any benefit to tip-toeing around the fact it's not a good camera as it's misleading to claim otherwise.

That said the reason I have a Mavic and nothing bigger is because as someone else mentioned, the best camera is the one you have with you and the Mavic is portable enough to easily carry around with me. While I've considered the Phantom4 Pro for its larger 1in sensor, it's just too big for me to carry around and I'm not going to benefit from the bigger sensor while it sits at home.

There's been no leaks I'm aware of about a new Mavic and I don't know realistic it is to fit the 1in sensor on a Mavic sized body, it's a much larger sensor and looking at the P4P prices, it would make for a much more expensive Mavic. While the Mavic's camera isn't great, I have absolutely no regrets buying my Mavic as it's good enough and for me, there's nothing else suitable that will do the job.

Thanks for all the good input. But one more question. Between the MP and the P$P, which drone can produce the best real time video image on the RC display unit? I'm thinking the variable settings of the P4P camera and better lens would produce a noticeably better quality image? Or is the 1080P limit on the live video transmission the only reason?

I was looking at a YouTube video put out by DW that show cased their MaXX Mod Kit. The video kept switching between the live video display and the processed/rendered video. I don't know what video settings they were using, but the live video was noticeably less quality.

The live video quality may depend on the device being used. On my Tab A, the still shot quality was so poor they were unusable. Turns out that the app was displaying them in a very low resolution. A different app displayed them in much higher resolution.

The live video is probably a compressed, lower quality rendition so it does not bog down the display.

Reactions: Martin Dinsmore
I am super new but super impressed with the Mavic and it's camera quality! Like a few said here ,,, the best camera is the one you have on you. That's why I bought the Mavic and i don't regret it one bit. To get sky high in minutes shooting 4k..... well wow that's amazing! Really only a PRO would need more and at that point wouldn't even look at this when they can get an inspire 2. The quads are so dirt cheap for what they do and prices / quality will only get better.

It’s a great drone and the video is outstanding, especially if you watch it on a 4K TV. You will be impressed not disappointed.
Electronics are always getting better and cheaper. There is no best time to jump in, so if you’re ready, now is the best time for you.

As for the video quality, id always thought it was very good on the mavic, but then im no photographer and its just something we use for fun.
Anyway i watched something on tv over the weekend -cant remember what it was called but basically the guy goes out with nothing -except for the cameras he carries and the clothes hes wearing - into the middle of nowhere in various countries and survives for x time whilst travelling across where ever it is he is to his extraction point.
I watched it and it seemed like any other main stream made for tv documentary, with regards to the quality of the filming.
Then when the next in the series came on, i saw what the Ariel shots were filmed with..... A Mavic pro.
My point being -and i guess maybe it was made better in the edit or whatever they do- watching it on a large 4k tv at no point did i think that's poor quality aerial filming and tbh if id not seen later that it was filmed from a Mavic, id have just assumed it was done from one of the big drones they use or maybe even from a chopper.

Certainly made me feel even more so that i did the right thing getting the little mavic over the phantom and unless your making a film for the big screen id say the mavic is more than good enough for most people

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev