DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Today I got a Firmware warning to Calibrate the Vision Sensors with DJI Assistant - Why?

TomSull

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Today, I was getting ready to send my Mavic 2 Pro up for some Autumn Foliage shots around my house, and I got a Firmware Abnormal Warning. When I selected it, it said "Calibrating the Vision Sensors with DJI Assistant on a PC or Mac is recommended."

Any idea why I got this today? I last flew last Thursday and had no issues. In fact, though I didn't stray far from my takeoff location, I seemed to have no issues today (I realize that was a risky action to take to even do that with warnings, but I really wanted to get some foliage shots).

Why would I suddenly need to do this? Has anyone run into this before?

Here are a couple of screen shots from my Samsung Note 20 Ultra phone, attached. Note that I had not moved the drone from powering it up, so saying it's 18.5 feet away, then clicking on the red Abnormal, 15.7 feet away is ALSO odd. I'm 99.9% certain those screen shots were done by doing the first one, clicking the Abnormal indicator, then doing another screen shot immediately after. However, I likely did not have a GPS fix yet.

I powered it down and up a few times, including the controller, the drone, and the app to no avail. RTH did a perfect landing on my launch pad as well, but I was watching it like a hawk to assure it would land correctly and not veer off into the trees.

After the short flight, I everything off, including the app, then turned everything back on, which reinitialized the app, and I still have the error.

I'll do the recalibrate tonight hopefully.

Thanks...Tom
Screenshot_20211011-165414.jpgScreenshot_20211011-165422.jpg

Last edited:
Today, I was getting ready to send my Mavic 2 Pro up for some Autumn Foliage shots around my house, and I got a Firmware Abnormal Warning. When I selected it, it said "Calibrating the Vision Sensors with DJI Assistant on a PC or Mac is recommended."

Any idea why I got this today? I last flew last Thursday and had no issues. In fact, though I didn't stray far from my takeoff location, I seemed to have no issues today (I realize that was a risky action to take to even do that with warnings, but I really wanted to get some foliage shots).

Here are a couple of screen shots from my Samsung Note 20 Ultra phone, attached. Note that I had not moved the drone from powering it up, so saying it's 18.5 feet away, then clicking on the red Abnormal, 15.7 feet away is ALSO odd. I'm 99.9% certain those screen shots were done by doing the first one, clicking the Abnormal indicator, then doing another screen shot immediately after. However, I likely did not have a GPS fix yet.

I powered it down and up a few times, including the controller, the drone, and the app to no avail. RTH did a perfect landing on my launch pad as well, but I was watching it like a hawk to assure it would land correctly and not veer off into the trees.

After the short flight, I everything off, including the app, then turned everything back on, which reinitialized the app, and I still have the error.

Thanks...Tom
View attachment 136377View attachment 136376
Check to see if the vision sensor lenses are clean. I had this once and the warning went away after cleaning.

They all look good, but I just wiped them all down just in case, but the error remains. So, I recalibrated and the error went away.

But, why should it suddenly lose this calibration? Any ideas why this occurred?

I'm primarily glad that there wasn't a camera failure or other electronic issue causing this, as the Mavic 2 Pro calibrated as expected, but why was it needed?

Does it automatically require re-calibration after a certain number of flights?

Thanks, just curious why this happened.

Last edited:
Any impacts to the drone? Could have knocked one imperceptibly out of alignment. Also could be a dead pixel or other sensor level error that needed to be adjusted for.

You didn't need to do it, the warning says 'is recommended' - not 'is necessary'. You already fixed it, so I wouldn't worry about the 'why'.

Can't say why that pops up, but I can say: I've been ignoring that 'warning' for ~6 months, with no ill effects. But I keep 'Enable Obstacle Avoidance' turned OFF, so don't need the Forward Vision Sensors anyway.

'Downward Vision Sensors' work despite the warning, and I'll turn that ON before takeoff sometimes, when I want to use Precision Landing. That way, it can ascend to ~20 ft. and get a good image of the DIY landing pad. This will bring it down to usually within an inch of where it was sitting at takeoff. If I want/need to hand catch, I bring the drone down to ~10 ft, hover while I turn OFF Downward Vision Sensors, bring it down a bit more, and let it land in my hand.

Last edited:
I had exactly the same "abnormal" warning earlier this month. I flew several times with the warning, with no problems. Re-calibrated a few days ago and have not flown since then.

I have had this warning several times on an Inspire 2 and once on my Mavic Pro 2 with 85 hours on it. It seems to happen after the aircraft has taken a big bump, but I can not confirm the two are connected.

Thanks...Tom
My Question is, where do you get the DJI Assistant from? I can’t seem to find it on my Mac!

Of course its only human nature that we may react to the same set of facts in different ways. That’s ok and to be expected. But personally, I always want to know “why” something happened because it just may help me prevent the problem in the future. Thanks to all who responded because I now have a better idea of what may or may not be happening. 👍🏾

Reactions: DMavic
I always want to know why, not comfortable if I don’t.
Regards
Sorry... re: this warning, can't help you there. I do know it's not from any 'big bumps'... my AC has not had any.

My Question is, where do you get the DJI Assistant from? I can’t seem to find it on my Mac!
As the saying goes, Google is your friend :)

Reactions: Capt KO

Thanks...Tom
I had the same thing and just did the calibration and works fine now. Was interesting learning the dji assistant and good to know how to calibrate them.

Reactions: Gagey52

Thanks...Tom
I have had the same scenario with my Mavic air 2. Comes up once in awhile. Also says that it is Recallibrating rear sensors !?
Seems to only happen on one battery. Never has come up using my other three batteries.
My craft is about 1 yr old. This started months ago. Has not affected flight performance and it happens even after updates. But not on a regular basis. Rarely.

Thanks...Tom
Hello Tom..! I think you have already received various answers about your query about the proximity sensors, perhaps it is a bit strange for you, that you may have flown with your drone days before and then the next day the App suggests that you calibrate obstacle sensors, that is “normal” more than the opposite that we can think… The strange thing would be that you did the calibration and once the calibration is loaded in the drone, the suggestion to recalibrate the sensors appears again. The calibration or recalibration of the sensors, like this such as the compass or the IMU, we should have it as a safety standard for our equipment and do it, although not every time we are going to fly, but do it from time to time, clean each of the obstacle sensors, the ultrasonic sensors as in the case of the Phantom or Inspire... if the App suggests it, take it as a "good suggestion" that will give you more confidence that your team will be better prepared for the next flight... Greetings!

I know this thread is a couple of months old but I'll throw in what I've learned so far, from my experience, incase this issue come's up again.
I have owned my M2P since it was released, and in that time I've had to calibrate the sensors a fair few times.
It has never been crashed, landed harshly nor taken any 'bumps'.
I suspect there is a counter within the software, so that after so many flights or hours of use it is suggested to recalibrate - not necessary due to a fault but as part of routine maintenance of the vision system.

Reactions: TomSull
I know this thread is a couple of months old but I'll throw in what I've learned so far, from my experience, incase this issue come's up again.
I have owned my M2P since it was released, and in that time I've had to calibrate the sensors a fair few times.
It has never been crashed, landed harshly nor taken any 'bumps'.
I suspect there is a counter within the software, so that after so many flights or hours of use it is suggested to recalibrate - not necessary due to a fault but as part of routine maintenance of the vision system.
Mine M2P Zoom says the same thing but I have never Calibrated the Sensors but it flies fine!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll