DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Today's most important drone in the world

African wildlife

Reactions
This has simply got to be the most important drone in the whole world today! There surely cannot be any other that will top this one?!

Of course, I'm referring to the SpaceX drone that frequently appears above the launch pad at Boca Chica, Texas. And, yes, we're all getting very excited that today could be The Day that we'll see Starship SN9 ignite its three Raptor engines to perform its test launch. (We've already seen them ignite for no less than six static fire tests.) Nothing has captured the imagination about space travel so well since I watched the Apollo 11 Moon landing way back in 1969.

SpaceX's drone will probably be aloft for the launch. But it will certainly be up for recording the astonishing landing sequence, which comes after that amazing skydiving belly-flop decent. And, this time, SpaceX is likely to nail the actual landing - after SN8 crash-landed on their "landing pad" after an otherwise phenomenally successful and pioneering flight up to and back from 12.5 km.

If, by some miracle, the drone pilot gets to read this (which is highly unlikely to be the case because he or she will be piloting an Inspire 2), let us know how you're feeling. Cue music, as in "Under pressure!"

Am I excited? Do I really need to answer that question? This is genuinely historic.

I'm sure there'll be plenty of people who haven't yet woken up to all that SpaceX are doing at Boca Chica - nor indeed with Falcon 9, Falcon Heavy, and Starlink. This is your chance to get with the program. Mars, he we come. And before that will be the Moon. Meanwhile, it's all on show for us to follow the test program in great detail.

Disclaimer: NET is short for "Not Earlier Than". Delays are always possible or likely because of weather and a thousand things that can go wrong. Today's weather is looking good. But this is a test program. For SN8, we had an abort just before T-0, then the next day there was a "Hold" before a recycle and launch. Anyway, put away your own drone from 3.00pm UTC or GMT today and follow what's hopefully going to happen. SpaceX.com will have their own live feed at T-5 minutes before takeoff and there'll be various good coverage beforehand.

I've got the Pre-Launch live stream running in the background (just listening). Thanks for the reminder.

I've got the Pre-Launch live stream running in the background (just listening). Thanks for the reminder.
And there was me thinking that you might be SpaceX's drone pilot! (I think it's a good guess to think that BigA107 is a serious contender for "best pilot" on this forum. His attitude is undoubtedly professional.)

They are currently arming SN9's Flight Termination System (explosives), so everything is progressing well and fast at Boca Chica. Test flights are normally late afternoon events, but they just might be targeting a morning flight today (local). Or is it just me getting super-excited?

Reactions: BigAl07
Thanks for posting: I'm going to go launch the NASA app on my Roku (connected to 4K OLED TV)!

Thanks for posting: I'm going to go launch the NASA app on my Roku (connected to 4K OLED TV)!
I doubt it will be covered by NASA - unless you're meaning the NASASpaceFlight one (which has nothing to do with NASA).

Have the SpaceX.com website or YouTube channel ready as we get nearer to launch. With SN8, the official live feed was awesome. I'm British and we don't easily use the word "awesome".

To anyone who is new to SpaceX, the aim is to start a colony on Mars, so that we become a multi-planetary species. One day, we'll be flying drones on Mars' to view its spectacular landscapes - and the first one is already on route right now.

Here's the official drone footage from the SN5 launch (together with a bit of onboard footage).

The drone pilot did a really good job to get around for the post-landing view. Again, pre-planning before the event is so important when you have one opportunity to deliver and with no chance of a "take two".

Reactions: maven4336
And there was me thinking that you might be SpaceX's drone pilot! (I think it's a good guess to think that BigA107 is a serious contender for "best pilot" on this forum. His attitude is undoubtedly professional.)

They are currently arming SN9's Flight Termination System (explosives), so everything is progressing well and fast at Boca Chica. Test flights are normally late afternoon events, but they just might be targeting a morning flight today (local). Or is it just me getting super-excited?
Thank you very much. I WISH!!

Did you see the Camper go driving by a few minutes ago? The announcer was "was that a camper that just drove by? How are they allowed in that area. That was a CAMPER LOL"

"He kids let's drive by the launch pad real quick" LOL

Thank you very much. I WISH!!

Did you see the Camper go driving by a few minutes ago? The announcer was "was that a camper that just drove by? How are they allowed in that area. That was a CAMPER LOL"

"He kids let's drive by the launch pad real quick" LOL
The local Sheriff somehow missed a vehicle and boat trailer that was still on the beach for one of the static fire tests. SN9 was being loaded with propellant when this vehicle, trailer, and boat drove by on the road. There was also a photographer with his kayak just inside the restriction zone for the SN8 launch, fortunately reported and then told to go away by security. So these things do happen.

Big doubt about today now as it seems the TFR (Temporary Flight Restriction) might have been pulled.

Reactions: BigAl07
Wonder if they purchased a care refresh package......... just incase
Hi Gary. yes, they did. But it was used up long ago. Check out what happened to SN4. There was a RUD (Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly). After a good static fire test, ground support equipment failed and SN4 went BOOM. Then SN8 landed in a more crumpled manner than your average DJI RTH.

It seems that the pad is now finally clearing, but doubt remains about the TFR. Whatever is the actual plan - and we're always somewhat in the dark because this is a test program - we remain dedicated Texas Tank Watchers.

sounds like space X is trying to get the faa to give approval still lol
You just beat me to the same information. Keep watching just in case. The sky is blue. Bureaucracy grinds slowly and this has been an ongoing issue for the past few days.

Reactions: TheDude
Elon is not happy. He's just tweeted:

"Unlike its aircraft division, which is fine, the FAA space division has a fundamentally broken regulatory structure. Their rules are meant for a handful of expendable launches per year from a few government facilities. Under those rules, humanity will never get to Mars."

NEWSFLASH. SpaceX have just employed the services of Dolly Parton to sort out the FAA. If there's one woman in American even better than Gwynne Shotwell, then it's Dolly. :)

Reactions: Afghanpilot
Not yet sunrise at Boca Chica, but live coverage has already started:

If we get a "Go for launch" today, this is something you don't want to miss. Plus you get a bonus point if you spot the SpaceX drone up in the air. I've just spotted it, early, doing some kind of inspection!

Two more that technically fall in the UAS category

After being earlier evacuated, the residents of Boca Chica village have just been told they can return. So no test flight today (Friday). Presumably the ongoing FAA hold up is the reason. Don't y'all love bureaucracy? (And, yes, that's a Brit attempting a Texas drawl.)

• Angry
After being earlier evacuated, the residents of Boca Chica village have just been told they can return. So no test flight today (Friday). Presumably the ongoing FAA hold up is the reason. Don't y'all love bureaucracy? (And, yes, that's a Brit attempting a Texas drawl.)
Well heck!, I was watching yesterday when they scrubbed, and was hoping for today...got a reschedule? SN10 is rolling out now...they calling FAA and saying..."If we can't light 9, can we fire 10" ? :p

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143