DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Told I couldn't Fly Over Resort....

View attachment 157835
So while taking the image, I was told by the ski resort security I could not drone here. Because its private property.

I am pretty sure that's BS... but I had what I needed (this was a paid job) and I thought it best to just leave. But I am also starting to think that someone needs to make
a stand on things like this and press the point.

Regardless of what I should have done... and I in the clear ion this? I took off from a COUNTY ROAD... I am 107a, insured, and drone is registered. From the Airmap screenshot you can see im 100% in a clear zone.

View attachment 157836

So next time, should I call their bluff? Or is discretion the better part of valor?
Last I heard the FAA still controls the air space and who flies in it and where.
Please tell me if this is no longer true.

Last I heard the FAA still controls the air space and who flies in it and where.
Please tell me if this is no longer true.
Perhaps you should read the thread before commenting.

So after all of this and that. Where you took off from and did not. If you were 107 you know the facts. You guys need to start handing these out. We have a new sheriff taking over this week and some new officers. They will each get one.
Perfect. I just added two copies to my tool bag.
Thank you.

Of course you can't fly over people. You can't trespass on private property. So, flying over the ski resort would be a bad idea. Flying from the perimeter where you wouldn't have clear view of the drone and it's surrounding environment would also be inadvisable. A lost drone would be irretrievable.
The rules have changed in the USA. You can fly over people and moving traffic. You just can't hover over them or fly back and forth over them.

Please point to the answer to the question at hand.
Starting with post #2, the question at hand is not about whether the resort controls the airspace, which it doesn't, but whether the resort owns the land that the OP was operating from. You would have known that if you had bothered to read beyond the original post.

As to the answer to that question - post #13.

• Love
Reactions: Beet
Starting with post #2, the question at hand is not about whether the resort controls the airspace, which it doesn't, but whether the resort owns the land that the OP was operating from. You would have known that if you had bothered to read beyond the original post.

As to the answer to that question - post #13.
Maybe I'm blind, but all you posted was a picture with a bunch of purple lines. In fact, the road is separated from the rest of the surrounding area. Just asking.

Reactions: Torque
Maybe I'm blind, but all you posted was a picture with a bunch of purple lines. In fact, the road is separated from the rest of the surrounding area. Just asking.
There were helpful words accompanying the picture:
Unfortunately that entire area is privately owned, including the "county road" by which I assume you mean Willow Draw Road, which is owned by CANYONS RESORT VILLAGE ASSOCIATION INC (Parcel # WWDDAM-WWD8). So they were entitled to request that you not fly from their property.

This is a better, more clear picture. It shows that Willow Draw IS a private road. No questions.View attachment 157925
That ArcGIS layer doesn't include any parcel data, so it's less useful in my opinion, but it does show the road as private, which is enough to answer your original question. But if you knew how to consult ArcGIS all along then why all the argumentative nonsense?

That ArcGIS layer doesn't include any parcel data, so it's less useful in my opinion, but it does show the road as private, which is enough to answer your original question. But if you knew how to consult ArcGIS all along then why all the argumentative nonsense?
Not trying to be argumentative, just clarifying. And I didn't see the plat numbers.

Reactions: Torque
I was just agreeing with #2
I see your point with #13
Please forgive me
My bad
🥲

Hmm, well I’m kind of old fashion.
I would call and make an appointment to speak to someone in charge.
Study their website to get ideas for you presentation.
Explain what I want to do. Address all his concerns about safety and noise. Then I hit him with his number one concern “What’s in it for him” ie a couple of FREE pictures and a short video for the resorts website that means more customers for BOTH of YOU.
( Make sure you get a letter from the contact on company letter head giving you permission) Sometimes that’s enough to stop security dead in their tracks. If you have a portfolio it’s an even easier sell if not wow what a great way to get started.

Put more energy into making it a WIN - WIN situation than just trying to be right. You can be RIGHT or you can make MONEY But it can be hard to do both. You’ll learn that the older you get.

I have an idea how much would people pay to have a drone video of them going down a run? Especially if the run was exclusive to doing videos for Just an hour or so? How many resorts offer this service? In this day of I want the world to SEE ME social media? $100 x 10 people = $1000. Using the tracking feature of your drone this would be a peice of cake. And when the snow melts how about skate borders can you imagine the shots that you can get. Wow Remember with the zoom on our modern drones you could be 100 feet away $$$

Reactions: Wild Drone Pilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78