DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tomorrow is the day.....1st Flight

Dariof

Reactions
Well, I got my MP in the mail today. Set it up with the iPad mini 4, propeller guards, and a hood for the controller. I also have a spare battery.

I have about 15 years experience flying RC helicopters and about 25 years with airplanes.

Still, this is a different animal. I did fly today in the simulator mode, and it was pretty good. It wasn’t the smoothest, but I was pretty much able to do what I wanted to do.

So, tomorrow will be the real day. I’m going to go to the local AMA flying field. Wish me luck. :)

You'll do fine.

It really is one of the friendliest, most failsafe flying machines I've ever flown, and I've flown lots.

You’ll be fine
Just take your time and understand exactly what is going when and if the drone goes into RTH

Thanks guys for the words of encouragement.

I’ll be flying it (take off & landing as well) purely in manual mode, caring only where two of the automatic buttons are.......Pause and RTH.

I’m not going to do anything with the camera yet, I’ll simply fly aroung in figure 8’s, gain some altitude and study screen and controller responses.

It’ll be fun.

Thanks guys for the words of encouragement.

I’ll be flying it (take off & landing as well) purely in manual mode, caring only where two of the automatic buttons are.......Pause and RTH.

I’m not going to do anything with the camera yet, I’ll simply fly aroung in figure 8’s, gain some altitude and study screen and controller responses.

It’ll be fun.

Hey mate make sure you take the gimbal HOLDER off, the COVER can stay on if you wish, but you will get an error notification if you leave the holder on.
Other than that have fun!!!

What?!? 25 years on RC choppers and planes and you are apprehensive about this? This will be like riding a bike with training wheels for you! RC helicopters make flying this thing like booooooring! You own this as a stable aerial camera platform. Not as some kind of fun flying machine. It isn’t.

Not as some kind of fun flying machine. It isn’t.

People are different, of course, but for me, it is. Flying my Mavic close to the ground at 20m/s airspeed, with ascent/descent rates of 10m/s, doing Nesterov's loops and spirals, flying in fixed wing mode, etc. etc. - especially when low and wearing Goggles - gives me similar rush as my wingsuit BASE proximity flying (even though my speed in wingsuit is 2-3x higher). I can't get that stupid grin off my face, I blame Mavic for it! ThumbswayupThumbswayupThumbswayup

Last edited:
As MarkNix said, flying the Mavic will be a piece of cake for you. I also have flown helicopters and planes for decades and was a bit apprehensive about launching the Mavic for the first time. But once it was in the air, I found that it handled very similarly to the helicopters. Well, except for the fact that with the Mavic, you could set the transmitter down, go eat a sandwich, and when you came back, the Mavic would still be hovering right where you left it.

Reactions: fiftiesnut
Well, I got my MP in the mail today. Set it up with the iPad mini 4, propeller guards, and a hood for the controller. I also have a spare battery.

I have about 15 years experience flying RC helicopters and about 25 years with airplanes.

Still, this is a different animal. I did fly today in the simulator mode, and it was pretty good. It wasn’t the smoothest, but I was pretty much able to do what I wanted to do.

So, tomorrow will be the real day. I’m going to go to the local AMA flying field. Wish me luck. :)

Best of luck, you'll be fine. That a great part of the country to fly. Some very interesting places to go. I did some flying out there with my Phantom last year on a trip to Vegas

Reactions: Crocket1158
Yesterday was my first flight with the Mavic and I was freaking out the entire time. I tested myself with landing and the RTH to help build some confidence. I was amazed and how rock steady it was in hovering. I have never flown anything like it. Just curious did they throw anything extra in your box? They gave me a landing pad and a stick cover when I bought mine.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom