DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Too much on top?

I'm not a fan personally but it will work for what you need. What about a label maker and providing the same info on the bottom edge? Here's my FAA Number as a reference (I don't have all my other info on there but I could on the other side if I was to try): PIC

I'm not a fan personally but it will work for what you need. What about a label maker and providing the same info on the bottom edge? Here's my FAA Number as a reference (I don't have all my other info on there but I could on the other side if I was to try): PIC
Yeah.. I was thinking that

I think FAA reg says your number must be visible on the outside. I think in 3mm fashion which mine is smaller technically but it’s perfectly legible.

I think FAA reg says your number must be visible on the outside. I think in 3mm fashion which mine is smaller technically but it’s perfectly legible.
Thought so too originally but I was wrong. This is a quoted directly from FAA site, “The registration number may be placed in a battery compartment as long as it can be accessed without the use of tools.”

Thought so too originally but I was wrong. This is a quoted directly from FAA site, “The registration number may be placed in a battery compartment as long as it can be accessed without the use of tools.”
That is outdated info. The FAA posted an update to the rules in Feb 2019 and the number must be on an exterior surface of the drone now.

Not seeing a 3mm requirement at that link. Is the 3mm requirement fact, backed up by FAA decree, or urban legend?

The 3mm thing is an urban legend, at least in the USA. The FAA just requires it be "seen upon visual inspection of the aircraft’s exterior". (so printing something that requires a microscope to read would likely fail that test, just use your common sense there)

The 3mm thing is an urban legend, at least in the USA. The FAA just requires it be "seen upon visual inspection of the aircraft’s exterior". (so printing something that requires a microscope to read would likely fail that test, just use your common sense there)
Cool good to know I'm in compliance, thanks!

Reactions: dawgpilot
I put my info in the space under the battery. Here’s hoping someone actually looks there if my Drones are ever lost.
Having your FAA label in the battery case does not meet the guideline. The registration has to be where it can be read without removing anything from the drone.

I was also going to put the reg # in the battery compartment, but then I read the updated FAA requirement and put it on the back side of the rear arm. While flying you can see it and then when folded up it's hidden.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d