DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Top nose shell stress fracture

Scottotheforest

Reactions
Anyone else have this happen?

No crashes, never dropped, and always in case which has never been dropped. Don't understand at all.

Only has a dozen flights, and though a couple have been near freezing, nothing dramatic.

Flies fine- was going to post that I did the firmware update last night along with 4 extra batts without incident and carefully reset everything and recalibrated everything too.

Had a great ground level tripod mode flight through a forest this morning, except for wondering what caused this, which made the flight a bit less fun!

I have the DJI replacement insurance, but as this wasn't anything I've done, I would hate to use my get out of jail free card for this.

Input welcomed, and thank you in advance.

Scott

Sent from my Pixel XL using MavicPilots mobile app

Ooooo. Bad spot. I can see them (DJI) claiming that you bumped something in the front with the Obstacle Avoidance Sensors off. It is at the front most portion of the Mavic and it may prove "challenging" to get them to accept that as a naturally occurring production defect.

You should still absolutely try to get a warranty replacement as you have nothing to loose but a bit of time. DJI Chat session is something to consider. Best of luck and let us know the outcome.

If it bugs you get it fixed. DJI would fix it without the need to use a "refresh"

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

This MUST be a defect and therefore covered by the normal warranty ??

Looks similar to some of the plastic cracks appearing on batteries. Reports are that DJI is replacing those under warranty. I would try warranty.

Thank you community, and I mean that in the sincerest way. This is an amazing and supportive community!

Chat support said I could send it in after hearing the story and seeing the photo. He was non commital about warranty vs Refresh, but I wouldn't play that card without having the tear down folks examine it first either of I were him- fair enough.

After firing it up while he waited (breathlessly, no doubt [emoji23]), and being assured no error messages were present, he suggested just flying it and keep an eye on it, and that if it worsens, send it in, and that the chat is noted and stored.

Since everything else has been textbook fine on this one, I'm ok to do that unless you more experienced folks have reason to tell me otherwise.

It is winter on Vancouver Island, and this year seems to be the one in ten where it actually gets below freezing a bit and occasional snow, rather than rain , so it's not a terrible time to send it off either.

I've marked the crack edges with marker spots and like the tape idea (it'll be like my glasses as a little kid).

We have three more cold and sunny days forecast, and are heading up the ski hill for a day of snowshoeing Wednesday, so I'd love to grab some footage and see if the ND16 is enough.

Again, thank you all for the helpful comments. I'll post if it worsens. Safe flying all.

Reactions: jerryflah
Nice update! Fly it and if t worsens send it in and then you get the benefit of a new battery and also having a bunch of flights on the current battery. Remember to warm your batteries before very low temperature flights and DO NOT just disregard the low battery temperature warnings that may be presented in the DJI GO GO4 app. Bring it in and fly close if you get these messages.

Pictures don't show up for me. I would like to see the area they are in so I can keep an eye out.

Edit: I was able to see them. Yikes that would upset me.
Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Scottotheforest
Great advice on the battery temp. It'll be about -3 to -6 C up on the hill (20 to 26 F), so not stupid cold, but cold enough to be extra careful.

Not sure what you mean about the new battery?

Nice update! Fly it and if t worsens send it in and then you get the benefit of a new battery and also having a bunch of flights on the current battery. Remember to warm your batteries before very low temperature flights and DO NOT just disregard the low battery temperature warnings that may be presented in the DJI GO GO4 app. Bring it in and fly close if you get these messages.
Great advice on the battery temp. I don't understand the new battery reference if it goes back for service. What am I missing?

He may be referring to my comment that this problem is appearing on batteries as well. Take note of the temp precautions. I am flying in Ontario and so far no issues.

All these crack stories are making me think about taking off my vinyl stickers now (even if I do like the "look" and protection).

I think the best practice is to just fly the crap out of it. I would advise against doing anything to "prevent" cracks. It should not crack. Fly the mess out of it while it is warrantied. If it cracks let DJI fix it. They have been very good about fixing their products recently. I had my P3p turned around in 7 days. That pretty fast. I would be more concerned about operator error than defects. They repair defects free and my experience getting defects fixed through DJI has been fantastic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a crack on mine just like this. I've had it for just under a week. Very careful with it - always in bag, no crashes, only fly in appropriate weather.
ebea53f018f41468d7d5457c0f87610b.jpg

I posted about your picture on another thread. Looks like maybe I was wrong and it could be a stress fracture of some kind, or a weak point. I wonder if it has anything to do with heat and cold.?

I posted about your picture on another thread. Looks like maybe I was wrong and it could be a stress fracture of some kind, or a weak point. I wonder if it has anything to do with heat and cold.?

Not sure. It's summer here so it hasn't been in the cold yet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR