DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tornado

Yes they are bad and we have lots in MS.
Saw and had to deal with the F5 in Smithville and
lost a lot of friends.
Hope we didn’t have any members hit in any of the ones
that just hit. My thoughts go out to anyone that was affected
by them.

Yes they are bad and we have lots in MS.
Saw and had to deal with the F5 in Smithville and
lost a lot of friends.
Hope we didn’t have any members hit in any of the ones
that just hit. My thoughts go out to anyone that was affected
by them.
Man... Sorry to hear that. I hope the worst is over.

Here is some of the first videos posted of the damage.

Man... Sorry to hear that. I hope the worst is over.
Think we’re just getting started with the season for them
We are used to having them but when one hits you they
leave a lasting impression. Why I feel bad for anyone dealing with the aftermath and sure everyone else does too.

Added,DM beat me to my post but you can see yes they are really that bad.

Think we’re just getting started with the season for them
We are used to having them but when one hits you they
leave a lasting impression. Why I feel bad for anyone dealing with the aftermath and sure everyone else does too.

Added,DM beat me to my post but you can see yes they are really that bad.
That's hard.

Reactions: dirkclod
So, I have a quick question. Living in Florida in Hurricane land, they constantly broadcast that it is illegal to fly after a disaster and so drones should stay away as not to hinder any rescue operations. I noticed the footage from Nashville this AM from all the drones and am scratching my head. Any input on this?

So, I have a quick question. Living in Florida in Hurricane land, they constantly broadcast that it is illegal to fly after a disaster and so drones should stay away as not to hinder any rescue operations. I noticed the footage from Nashville this AM from all the drones and am scratching my head. Any input on this?
Good question. I'm not from the US, so I cannot answer it.

Well, when a hurricane is threatening, TFR’s are implemented ahead of the storm.
In the case of tornadoes, they strike without very little notice. So, before a NFZ for those areas is officially in effect, news station and rogue pilots will get up in the air at first light to survey the damage. Anymore footage from here on out will be performed by authorized search and rescue pilots. (SAR).

Reactions: Dedal and dirkclod
... Is it really so bad?

I remember my first tornado very well. We had just got out of basketball practice and were heading home when a report on the radio said there was a tornado fairly close to us. Being teenagers at the time, we decided to see if we could find it. We went to the area it was in and stopped at a Dairy Queen and got out to see if we could see it. Shortly after, we spotted it going over the VA hospital down the road headed toward us. We jumped in the car and it wouldn't start so three of us jumped out and had to push start it to get it going and took off. The next day after school we went back to see what had happened. The Dairy Queen we had stopped at wasn't there anymore! It was only a concrete slab with nothing there but a couple of pipe sticking out of the concrete. There was no debris on the lot at all, not even a brick. While driving around we saw a house with a chain link fence and in the corner of the fence there were three cars stacked on top of each other almost perfectly and the fence wasn't torn down. A couple of days later we saw a news report of a paperboy that was delivering papers and was picked up and thrown through a plate glass window and onto the couch inside the house. Other than cuts from the glass he was doing well. Is it really so bad? I have personally seen 4 including water spouts in my life and I never wanted to see another after the first one.

Keep in mind that not every UAS you see flying is a hobby/recreational one even though it may be the exact same aircraft you're flying.

Our company has 7 different UAS that we use for Emergency Services doing anything from SWAT, Fire, SAR, Post Disaster Analysis, and Pre-Disaster Planning and they all look identical to the same ones you see day in and day out.

Also note that after a tornado until Emergency Services arrive and request a TFR it's not illegal to simply be in the air so long as you're not interfering with Manned Aircraft or any Emergency Services (Assuming the airspace etc is legal). That doesn't mean it's a good idea to do this but it doesn't automatically make it illegal.

Reactions: TR Ganey
I remember my first tornado very well. We had just got out of basketball practice and were heading home when a report on the radio said there was a tornado fairly close to us. Being teenagers at the time, we decided to see if we could find it. We went to the area it was in and stopped at a Dairy Queen and got out to see if we could see it. Shortly after, we spotted it going over the VA hospital down the road headed toward us. We jumped in the car and it wouldn't start so three of us jumped out and had to push start it to get it going and took off. The next day after school we went back to see what had happened. The Dairy Queen we had stopped at wasn't there anymore! It was only a concrete slab with nothing there but a couple of pipe sticking out of the concrete. There was no debris on the lot at all, not even a brick. While driving around we saw a house with a chain link fence and in the corner of the fence there were three cars stacked on top of each other almost perfectly and the fence wasn't torn down. A couple of days later we saw a news report of a paperboy that was delivering papers and was picked up and thrown through a plate glass window and onto the couch inside the house. Other than cuts from the glass he was doing well. Is it really so bad? I have personally seen 4 including water spouts in my life and I never wanted to see another after the first one.
Understandable. Sounds like scenes from a movie... But in real life. Thanks for sharing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1