DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Totally bummed in NYC- The whole place a NFZ!!???

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I'm typing this from across the street from Prospect Park in Brooklyn where we visited yesterday and will be leaving today on the way to Vermont. I checked the air space and where I'm at it is totally clear of any FAA restrictions. But NYC seems to have banned drones anywhere except for designated areas. Interestingly, the ban is stated as "launching and landing" I think from any public area. Being directly across the street from the park (on Ocean Ave) I could probably legally launch from the roof of the building, but it's 90° here and I expect to roof to be sizzling so not even thinking about it.

But in the event that I return on a cooler day, can I legally launch and fly from the roof of a building?

Reactions: projectarjun
I'm typing this from across the street from Prospect Park in Brooklyn where we visited yesterday and will be leaving today on the way to Vermont. I checked the air space and where I'm at it is totally clear of any FAA restrictions. But NYC seems to have banned drones anywhere except for designated areas. Interestingly, the ban is stated as "launching and landing" I think from any public area. Being directly across the street from the park (on Ocean Ave) I could probably legally launch from the roof of the building, but it's 90° here and I expect to roof to be sizzling so not even thinking about it.

But in the event that I return on a cooler day, can I legally launch and fly from the roof of a building?
Personalty, I would check and see who owns the building you won't to launch from and get permission and like you stated, if it is indeed clear of any FAA flight restrictions it should be ok.

The city law as written isn't restricted to public areas. So even launching from private property would be covered.

The city law as written isn't restricted to public areas. So even launching from private property would be covered.
Do you mean that I could or could not launch from private property?

On the road to Vermont now. Only a brief stay in Brooklyn.

I got lucky and got some cool footage in the Hamptons but did run into some geofencing but think I have what I need.
Casey? Is that you??? ?
Me Casey? No. Sorry.

I got lucky and got some cool footage in the Hamptons but did run into some geofencing but think I have what I need.

Me Casey? No. Sorry.

The law bans taking off anywhere in the city, public or private. (except those very few city parks where it's been allowed)

Me Casey? No. Sorry.
sorry, it's a joke regarding a person named "Casey" in NYC....

Yes you can launch from a private roof. I flew from the terrace of my Brooklyn apartment a little bit when I lived there.

Next time you are in NYC check with the guys at NYC 5 Boroughs Drone Meetups on Facebook. Those guys are the authority on flying in the boroughs. Manhattan is a no go but Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, and the Bronx have countless locations to fly.

Im originally from for Hamptons area and shot a ton this past weekend in Southampton and North Sea. There are a few airports, one is active Airforce but now uses LAANC.

sorry, it's a joke regarding a person named "Casey" in NYC....
You do know he moved to CA though, he barely visits NY anymore (Over a year) ...but yeah I got the reference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flycaster
Yes you can launch from a private roof. I flew from the terrace of my Brooklyn apartment a little bit when I lived there.

Next time you are in NYC check with the guys at NYC 5 Boroughs Drone Meetups on Facebook. Those guys are the authority on flying in the boroughs. Manhattan is a no go but Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, and the Bronx have countless locations to fly.

Im originally from for Hamptons area and shot a ton this past weekend in Southampton and North Sea. There are a few airports, one is active Airforce but now uses LAANC.
There is a lot of bad information being offered here ....you may have launched from a private roof...but no one is allowed to take off, land, or operate a drone, (except as listed below) within the City including the East River, and the NYPD is asking the public to help and call 911 if they spot a drone....most of NYC is within controlled air space of one of 3 major airports.....to start, but that issue not withstanding the following parks, without exception are the only places where you can legally fly within NYC...two of these parks charge a fee for the privlege

Calvert Vaux Park in Brooklyn
Marine Park in Brooklyn
Flushing Meadows Corona Park in Queens ( This is the old World's Fair site)
Forest Park in Queens
La Tourette Park (Greenbelt) on Staten Island

The Face Book Group you mentioned takes the regulation so seriously that they will not allow any videos recorded in the City ( except at those parks) to be aired on their website
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...I live on Long Island and know of some great places in the city that I would love to fly, and have checked this information carefully ..so I am not just guessing or passing on something I heard from others...you can take a look at this

Last edited:

I live near prospect park and I fly in the park all the time. never had many issues in NYC outside of sporting events and in a 2 mile radius on trump tower.

heres a screen shoot of DJY fly as of 11:50 am 6-BD34-AE4-FCAB-4-F8-E-AA79-9-B74-A29-AD86-B

the entire city is a fly zone outside of the airports with some 150m limitations for flight paths. Ive been flying here since the dji spark came out with almost 0 issues

Nevermind: hes talking about legalities and not GEO Fencing

Simple answer is NO look at post #11.....that is it...within NYC you cannot launch / land anywhere legally, except those 5 designated Parks......NO WHERE other than these places can you launch...the law regarding drones says you cannot take off or land "Within the City"....that includes everything including private property........everyone stop asking as though it will change if you pose your question differently....it sucks, but that is the law, and trying to argue about it and get around it is just going to bring more scrutiny and harsher ( if that is possible) regulations and laws....the lawmakers fall asleep on this issue, but wake up again when an incident as occurred about a month ago on the west side happened

heres a screen shoot of DJY fly as of 11:50 am 6-BD34-AE4-FCAB-4-F8-E-AA79-9-B74-A29-AD86-B

the entire city is a fly zone outside of the airports with some 150m limitations for flight paths. Ive been flying here since the dji spark came out with almost 0 issues
Take a look at this link....you can argue all you want..it is, without any question not legal to launch / land in NYC except the 5 locations listed in post #11

Take a look at this link....you can argue all you want..it is, without any question not legal to launch / land in NYC except the 5 locations listed in post #11
im not arguing and I already corrected my misudnerstanding above.

In-spite of these articles, you will always see one or two people flying their drones in undesignated areas. Even though Flushing Meadows is a designated park, it is only the AMA Field in which flying is allowed, you cannot fly outside the field; you almost instantaneously enter an NFZ, although some folks are just too daring.

I know a few folks in the city that like to flaunt with their drones showing their rooftops. If you go into the B4UFly app, you can request LAANC, but the limit is 200 feet for obvious reasons. Now, do I recommend this? Probably not, its uncommon to see drones in the air within the city, so folks that don't own drones, misinterpret the laws and wrongfully accuse others of operating drones in regulated areas. I just find it too messy to deal with even though you can technically fly as per the app. However, with the various articles and recent events of drones crashing within the city, its at your discretion. If a headline says, No Drones, the media is on queue to make a big deal about it if your drone crashes.

Last edited:
Reactions: MARK (LI)
I see that you actually live in Brooklyn...you can go to Marine Park ...or Calvert Vaux Park...both in Brooklyn....it may pay to go there 1st to see what their specific regulations are...I know that out of the City parks where flying is permitted, that you do have to pay at 2 of them...and there could be an AMA membership requirement...let me know if you want to hook up out here on Long Island.... @projectarjun and I usually meet up about once a week out here...he is from Queens

Not to go off-topic, but we should definitely setup a GroupMe or Discord for anyone from the City, Nassau, or Suffolk to meetup and fly in the designated areas. There are plenty of places outside the city, not too far. As long as its not an extremely large group, we should be fine. :D

I'm weary in quoting an article from a website not affiliated with the FAA :p But lets take this with a grain of salt
"Both commercial and hobby drone flyers must now have permission to fly in any controlled airspace. Both can use LAANC to gain that permission at JFK, but LGA is not LAANC active yet. So areas under LGA ATC control can only be accessed via a 107.41 Airspace Authorization via the FAA Drone Zone."

This is suggesting that as long as you use LAANC to gain permission, you should be technically good to go. I'm scratching my head over this one, but if there's no reason not to try it ? Its been raining a lot lately, one of neighbors is concerned about roof damage *cough* ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aodgizmo