DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Totally bummed in NYC- The whole place a NFZ!!???

But seriously though, how does he get to operate his Autel drone in this manner?,

Reactions: MARK (LI)
So those 5 parks, you can launch/land within them but does that mean you can't fly past the footprint of those parks?

Also if you fly from those parks is there anything interesting to see from over them? Can you see the skyline? Or one of the rivers?

You really have to check at each park..I think Flushing Meadows, Corona Park is limited to 100 Feet no matter what, and limited to flying strictly above the field... it is in close proximity to Laguardia Airport, which I don't think has LAANC
La Tourette Park is on Staten Island and is the only one not within close proximity to an airport...but it is kind of inland...not good view of any water

Reactions: projectarjun
I'm weary in quoting an article from a website not affiliated with the FAA :p But lets take this with a grain of salt
"Both commercial and hobby drone flyers must now have permission to fly in any controlled airspace. Both can use LAANC to gain that permission at JFK, but LGA is not LAANC active yet. So areas under LGA ATC control can only be accessed via a 107.41 Airspace Authorization via the FAA Drone Zone."

This is suggesting that as long as you use LAANC to gain permission, you should be technically good to go. I'm scratching my head over this one, but if there's no reason not to try it ? Its been raining a lot lately, one of neighbors is concerned about roof damage *cough* ?

I would never trust a word from DroneU. I’ve seen some of his videos where he 100% gives incorrect info. In one of them he suggested to just take off from a higher spot to get around AGL limitations.

I don't know anything about DroneU, but despite any past inaccuracies on their part....it looks like they got this correctly...it is too bad NYC is loaded with places just waiting to be videoed ....I have a lot of land based Photos that are really nice....just not the same as from the air

I’m about to contact the FAA and get to the bottom of this; although Mark has already made this very clear I always see home contractors and real estate agents surveying homes using their drones in the five boroughs; it’s puzzling

It is not an FAA issue...it is NYC law...there are about 8 million people in NYC...they have a lot of laws to protect the general public....unless you are inside one of the 5 parks listed, you simply are not allowed to fly ( launch / land )a drone within the City...I can see the concerns of the lawmakers, but people who have done incredibly stupid things with drones in the City have just fueled their fervor to go overboard and get rid of them all together...while some in the Department of Buildings and the Brooklyn Borough President are pushing to get them approved for building inspections ...not for Real Estate sales, but if some facade comes off a building, ...what is being encouraged is an immediate drone inspection for further damage at the building....I do see where this could offer job opportunities in NYC flying drones for inspection companies

Just bear in mind, if anyone intends to fly in areas where LAANC is available, you're doing so at your own risk. I wouldn't recommend it for now until things get clearer in the future, period

So, where can you Legally Fly your Drone in New York City? Can Hobby Drones fly in New York City? Although LAANC is now available for hobbyists to fly in controlled airspace, pretty much all of Manhattan and The Bronx is still closed to hobbyist because LAANC is not active at LaGuardia (LGA). While you can fly at Recreational Fixed Sites in controlled airspace, none are currently listed in either of those two Burroughs. However, much of Lower Manhattan is outside LGA airspace, but it would still fall under the "avigation" law. For most of Brooklyn and some of Queens (basically from Atlantic Ave south), you can apply for LAANC for permission to fly in JFK controlled airspace. But again, the Avigation law may also restrict you. There have been people who have flown on those areas without any issues, but just keep in the back of your mind you may get asked to land (or worse). Between Brooklyn and Queens, there is also 3 AMA site to fly at as well. You can find those sites here: FAA ArcGIS Map Just make sure you check the "Recreational Flying Fixed Sites" layer. They also include a "More info" for information on how to contact the field.

But seriously though, how does he get to operate his Autel drone in this manner?,

He does it illegaly. The FAA's is pretty useless for enforcement. Clowns like this just flaunt flying thru midtown and lie about getting clearance. First off, if a business or NYS Dept of tourism commissioned a commercial drone pilot.he wouldn't be flying a ******* Autel EVO.

He does it illegaly. The FAA's is pretty useless for enforcement. Clowns like this just flaunt flying thru midtown and lie about getting clearance. First off, if a business or NYS Dept of tourism commissioned a commercial drone pilot.he wouldn't be flying a ******* Autel EVO.
I knew I should have purchased an Autel EVO for its lack of geo-fencing ? just kidding ?

Last edited:
I even messaged the pilot on YouTube, have yet to get a response.

Take a look at this link....you can argue all you want..it is, without any question not legal to launch / land in NYC except the 5 locations listed in post #11
I mean it's illegal to jaywalk, too

Reactions: RoarRoar
I assume the borders of NYC in regards to this law extend past the shoreline - I've seen someone fly a drone at Rockaway beach, so even if you do so at the shoreline and fly out past the water, I'm assuming landing on the beach is considered illegal?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard