DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tracker for lost drones - is Lynq an option?

This is a great current crowd funding product - wondering what other pilots think of attaching it to their drone.

Only risk I can think of is interference (of each other) ... and where to attach it?

It looks huge. (Look at the photo of it attached to the dog's collar)

The Marco Polo tracker already does this, in a much smaller form factor, and the battery last 30 days, not 3 days.

It looks huge. (Look at the photo of it attached to the dog's collar)

The Marco Polo tracker already does this, in a much smaller form factor, and the battery last 30 days, not 3 days.

Thanks for that ... which version would best suit the MPP? I’m guessing the Ultra Light. Though the bigger version is waterproof ... I wonder how deep before you can’t find it?

Reactions: Yoda007
Thanks for that ... which version would best suit the MPP? I’m guessing the Ultra Light. Though the bigger version is waterproof ... I wonder how deep before you can’t find it?

I have the waterproof version. (.8 oz) compared to (.4 oz), so the weight difference is negligible (less than half an ounce). I've had no noticeable effect on flight while using it and it is part of my pre-flight check to ensure that it is turned on and transmitting.

The waterproof version won't work under water (that's not the intention), as any signal will likely never break the surface and make it out of the water. It will however, survive rainfall, snow drift, and other such circumstances without an issue, giving me 30 days to track down the aircraft, even if it rains for weeks after the craft gets lost. And even if it goes in water in an accident, if you're able to find your quad without the signal, the waterproof version won't be ruined and at least can be used again.

FYI, I've never had to use it, even though I fly with it every flight. Haven't had a situation that would call for it (yet). However, it does give me peace of mind that I could eventually track it down even if lost, allowing me to fly in much more "risky" circumstances as well as piece of mind when it disappears out of range of the RC during long Litchi missions. There are many flights that I wouldn't have flown and many shots that I wouldn't have captured without the tracker, and for that alone, it's been worth the investment.

I agree. The Lynq is huge. The Waterproof version Marco Polo is what I use. After losing my mavic for a few hours (about 10hours) a little kid responded to a LostDrone flyer I passed out around the area, which inspired me to get the MarcoPolo (being that the FindMyDrone coordinates can be off at times, displaying only the LastKnownLocation- which didn’t help me during the previously mentioned incident being that it was about half a block away from the coordinates the Mavic was truly located at.

How about this instead (provided it comes down roughly where the app stored the last GPS location):

Download a local stored map of the location.Use GPS position of drone and yourself to get very close.
Trigger very small audio keyfinder when in close vicinity.
Audio keyfinder are small, lightweight, cheap have a radio remote and long battery life.
They are also great to find the drone in a delayed recovery on a treetop.

https://www.amazon.de/Esky-Schlüsse...=keyfinder&dpPl=1&dpID=410RtNokaJL&ref=plSrch

An old post but relevant to this topic and newbies

Tracker, beeper, markings, reflective Mavic

How about this instead (provided it comes down roughly where the app stored the last GPS location):

Download a local stored map of the location.Use GPS position of drone and yourself to get very close.
Trigger very small audio keyfinder when in close vicinity.
Audio keyfinder are small, lightweight, cheap have a radio remote and long battery life.
They are also great to find the drone in a delayed recovery on a treetop.

https://www.amazon.de/Esky-Schlüsselfinder-Empfängern-Fernbedienung-Gegenstände-Key-Finder-Black-6/dp/B0797R9JLL/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅZÕÑ&qid=1538924514&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=keyfinder&dpPl=1&dpID=410RtNokaJL&ref=plSrch

Thank you. I will give this some thought sounds like a good alternative.
I'm surprised that dji don't fit the drone with a SIM and tracking system.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803