DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Transferring photos from smart controller

VvBURNvV

Reactions
Hello all.

I am having a hard time transferring photos from the smart controller to my phone via Bluetooth. I have tried paring and using several DJI apps.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips.

Thank you!

My issue is that I cannot just spontaneously share any photos from the smart controller or drone to other parties who don't have dji apps. I guess it will require a two step process - share from the drone/controller to my phone via the Go app and then share from my phone to other people.

But I also can't figure out how to get stuff off the controller to my computer. I've attached a usb-c to the controller (bottom port) and to my Win7 computer. I hear the normal usb-bong sound but no folders show up under My Computer or network.

My issue is that I cannot just spontaneously share any photos from the smart controller or drone to other parties who don't have dji apps. I guess it will require a two step process - share from the drone/controller to my phone via the Go app and then share from my phone to other people.

But I also can't figure out how to get stuff off the controller to my computer. I've attached a usb-c to the controller (bottom port) and to my Win7 computer. I hear the normal usb-bong sound but no folders show up under My Computer or network.

If you have a micro sd card installed in the SC then you could take this out, use in an adapter, then insert into a card reader (on PC) or a card reader plugged into a USB port.

If you have a micro sd card installed in the SC then you could take this out, use in an adapter, then insert into a card reader (on PC) or a card reader plugged into a USB port.

Which is the quickest way to get them off the controller.

Don’t really see why I would do this though when I can just take the card out of the drone.

Which is the quickest way to get them off the controller.

Don’t really see why I would do this though when I can just take the card out of the drone.

True but if the bird is all folded up in a case and you had been using the sync option for pictures and video, then removing the sd card from SC could be quicker than un-folding the drone and taking the card out Thumbswayup

I am not keen on moving that tiny little card with those contacts in and out of the controller and into and out of an adapter and in and out of my card reader!

I don't understand why the SC does not act like any other peripheral when connected by usb to a computer. I did find that if you use the PHOTO option, you get to see two folders in Internal Memory (I don't have an sd-card in the SC yet). I was able to copy files to both of those folders and I was able to view them on the controller.

Frankly, I would not mind putting various pdf manuals in the SC and being able to view them while out in the field.
True but if the bird is all folded up in a case and you had been using the sync option for pictures and video, then removing the sd card from SC could be quicker than un-folding the drone and taking the card out Thumbswayup

Okay, let me clarify my want! (g)

I want to get the data, files, pictures, video from the SMART CONTROLLER and NOT the drone. No legs to unfold. When you plug in a usb cable, you get three choices, CHARGE, TRANSFER FILES or Transfer photos. (just like on other android devices). I want Door Number Two - transfer files.

In addition, the sd card is not the entire Smart Controller contents. So I also want access to its INTERNAL memory as well as any sd-card. Currently, I don't even have an sd-card in the drone (have they fixed the issue where the card does not even show up?). So the only place my files are currently stored in somewhere inside the Smart Controller. I am pretty sure that I'm not meant to dissect the controller to get to its internal Memory.

Have I clarified my thoughts and needs? (g)

Reactions: ZooCougar
I am not keen on moving that tiny little card with those contacts in and out of the controller and into and out of an adapter and in and out of my card reader!

I don't understand why the SC does not act like any other peripheral when connected by usb to a computer. I did find that if you use the PHOTO option, you get to see two folders in Internal Memory (I don't have an sd-card in the SC yet). I was able to copy files to both of those folders and I was able to view them on the controller.

Frankly, I would not mind putting various pdf manuals in the SC and being able to view them while out in the field.

Okay, let me clarify my want! (g)

I want to get the data, files, pictures, video from the SMART CONTROLLER and NOT the drone. No legs to unfold. When you plug in a usb cable, you get three choices, CHARGE, TRANSFER FILES or Transfer photos. (just like on other android devices). I want Door Number Two - transfer files.

In addition, the sd card is not the entire Smart Controller contents. So I also want access to its INTERNAL memory as well as any sd-card. Currently, I don't even have an sd-card in the drone (have they fixed the issue where the card does not even show up?). So the only place my files are currently stored in somewhere inside the Smart Controller. I am pretty sure that I'm not meant to dissect the controller to get to its internal Memory.

Have I clarified my thoughts and needs? (g)

Got it Thumbswayup

The Mavic has internal memory so can you hook that up to the PC via a USB cable and see the contents?

I took the sd card out of the controller (I have sync set to mirror the bird) and placed the card in the adapter and into the PC! Could not find 1 picture from the M2Z on the sd card from the controller so it may well be my fault or the setting got reset on the firmware update, I will have to check.

So with Android (as you know) you should be able to plug this device into the PC (as you have done) and read the contents. I can plug my Note 9 into the PC and it shows up as a device with all of the folders and files located within these folders.

Makes me wonder if the SC has been crippled to do this, or there is a "debug" routine which we don't know how to run (AKA developer option as found in other Android hardware menus) but I am not an expert in this field :(

Got it Thumbswayup

The Mavic has internal memory so can you hook that up to the PC via a USB cable and see the contents?

I took the sd card out of the controller (I have sync set to mirror the bird) and placed the card in the adapter and into the PC! Could not find 1 picture from the M2Z on the sd card from the controller so it may well be my fault or the setting got reset on the firmware update, I will have to check.

So with Android (as you know) you should be able to plug this device into the PC (as you have done) and read the contents. I can plug my Note 9 into the PC and it shows up as a device with all of the folders and files located within these folders.

Makes me wonder if the SC has been crippled to do this, or there is a "debug" routine which we don't know how to run (AKA developer option as found in other Android hardware menus) but I am not an expert in this field :(

Just trying to gain access to either of its "drives" (Internal Memory and/or sd-card) via a usb cable like you can do with your Note9. It recognizes there was a cable connection to a computer by throwing up that CHOICE prompt (charge, transfer...) unlike when you plug it into a wall adapter when it merely charges.

I have not attempted to plug a usb thumbdrive into the top port but will see what that does.

It could be DJI has messed up or not implemented access. There is already an sd-card bug where it does not show up. Maybe that was your problem. Nothing saved since it did not know the card was plugged in.

Just trying to gain access to either of its "drives" (Internal Memory and/or sd-card) via a usb cable like you can do with your Note9. It recognizes there was a cable connection to a computer by throwing up that CHOICE prompt (charge, transfer...) unlike when you plug it into a wall adapter when it merely charges.

I have not attempted to plug a usb thumbdrive into the top port but will see what that does.

It could be DJI has messed up or not implemented access. There is already an sd-card bug where it does not show up. Maybe that was your problem. Nothing saved since it did not know the card was plugged in.

That's interesting.
I got to format the card (it did say that it was formatted) when the Mavic was connected to the SC and the app running, but the pictures from my other drone were still there when I read the files on my PC. Could be locked down Android version on the SC itself. This is a slight problem but I am sure this will get resolved unless I am to blame :rolleyes:

That's interesting.
I got to format the card (it did say that it was formatted) when the Mavic was connected to the SC and the app running, but the pictures from my other drone were still there when I read the files on my PC. Could be locked down Android version on the SC itself. This is a slight problem but I am sure this will get resolved unless I am to blame :rolleyes:

Well, you are sure to blame for something!

I just tried using the official usb cable that came with the remote - still no file access.

Ah, well, I'm now listing to Bach's Cello Suite #1. I plugged in a thumbdrive to the top usb and used the File manager to access the contents. There was the Bach and it is now playing. Now I'm viewing a Grand Canyon AVI file on there from an older trip. Oh, the crap (the meaning will become clearer) you find on old thumbdrives. The controller will display PDF files - instructions for a bowel prep for colonoscopy!!!! (g) It also opened plain TXT files. But not my chocolatecake text file???

Ah, I just moved an html file that I constructed. It is a table containing my favorite links - like Komotv, Snoqualmie Pass road conditions, and about 50 other such links. It opened and when I tapped on the Snoqualmie link I've got a pass camera and conditions.

Progress is being made!!!

Last edited:
Well, you are sure to blame for something!

I just tried using the official usb cable that came with the remote - still no file access.

Ah, well, I'm now listing to Bach's Cello Suite #1. I plugged in a thumbdrive to the top usb and used the File manager to access the contents. There was the Bach and it is now playing. Now I'm viewing a Grand Canyon AVI file on there from an older trip. Oh, the crap (the meaning will become clearer) you find on old thumbdrives. The controller will display PDF files - instructions for a bowel prep for colonoscopy!!!! (g) It also opened plain TXT files. But not my chocolatecake text file???

Ah, I just moved an html file that I constructed. It is a table containing my favorite links - like Komotv, Snoqualmie Pass road conditions, and about 50 other such links. It opened and when I tapped on the Snoqualmie link I've got a pass camera and conditions.

Progress is being made!!![/QUOT

I was literally howling when I read "bowel prep" as it reminded me of "that time" o_O talk about "sand blasting" :eek:

Hope Bach was a soothing moment as I sit here with a JD in my paw.
So, you were able to read the drive, cool. Now what steps are needed to see if the USB can "talk" to the PC. I was thinking about sending DJI support an email requesting information about PC connections or lack of as the case may be.

I have vowed - no more prep!!!!

Yes, do write DJI and ask about accessing the Internal Memory (or sd-card) via usb? I imagine it should work unless there's a coding glitch. I guess one can transfer files using a thumbdrive rather than toying with those thin, tiny micro-sd-cards.

I have vowed - no more prep!!!!

Yes, do write DJI and ask about accessing the Internal Memory (or sd-card) via usb? I imagine it should work unless there's a coding glitch. I guess one can transfer files using a thumbdrive rather than toying with those thin, tiny micro-sd-cards.

So I did some searching regarding the sd card "not being read" in the controller. After re-boot the suggestion is to remove then re-insert the card into the controller whereby the content can be viewed. Looks as though another firmware update is needed for this :rolleyes:

So I did some searching regarding the sd card "not being read" in the controller. After re-boot the suggestion is to remove then re-insert the card into the controller whereby the content can be viewed. Looks as though another firmware update is needed for this :rolleyes:

I gather that the newest 360 firmware might address that issue. I've not put my new 128 gig inside it yet. Sandisk which is NOT on the recommended list (Samsung is!)

Reactions: paulatkin73
I gather that the newest 360 firmware might address that issue. I've not put my new 128 gig inside it yet. Sandisk which is NOT on the recommended list (Samsung is!)

Thanks for the update. I am using a 64GB Sandisk so I will check to see if that is recommended or not.

Reactions: ff22

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki