DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Travel/Flying with a Drone.

That is the very thing I was exploring. The Lipo bags actually bring attention to the batteries. The airport TSA might think "this must be dangerous if he needs a Lipo bag." It might be better to down play it.
The Lipo bags do deprive the battery of oxygen, needed for a fire.

Yes, normally just have mine in their ziplock bags and in their separate compartments in my drone backpack, and never an issue.
True re oxygen and fire, but lipo runaway is different.
They first start to heat, then smoke, then get into the runaway stage, where oxygen might be needed after they spark out.
Possible that having them in ziplocks and a drone bag will do same thing.
If they are noticed in smoke stage (or heat stage if touch for some reason) then pouring water on them is vital to stop the next stage.
A catch 22 type scenario, maybe no answer except pray you don't see smoke coming from the overhead locker !!

I viewed an actual drone battery fire on YouTube some years ago, which was quite good, but couldn't find it just now (plenty of others not on aircraft there though with a search).

I did find this FAA one, which is REALLY good . . . only thing is Halon extinguishers are generally banned now, perhaps airlines or specialty uses they are still available.

Yes, normally just have mine in their ziplock bags and in their separate compartments in my drone backpack, and never an issue.
True re oxygen and fire, but lipo runaway is different.
They first start to heat, then smoke, then get into the runaway stage, where oxygen might be needed after they spark out.
Possible that having them in ziplocks and a drone bag will do same thing.
If they are noticed in smoke stage (or heat stage if touch for some reason) then pouring water on them is vital to stop the next stage.
A catch 22 type scenario, maybe no answer except pray you don't see smoke coming from the overhead locker !!

I viewed an actual drone battery fire on YouTube some years ago, which was quite good, but couldn't find it just now (plenty of others not on aircraft there though with a search).

I did find this FAA one, which is REALLY good . . . only thing is Halon extinguishers are generally banned now, perhaps airlines or specialty uses they are still available.

Interesting video. Thanks for sharing. I think I will travel with a 30% charge and no Lipo bags.

Interesting video. Thanks for sharing. I think I will travel with a 30% charge and no Lipo bags.

Good idea, no bags needed, if any smoke becomes evident, bring down bag, open and have batteries there for cooling without further handling.

Charge rate doesn't matter at all, lipo fires are chemical, can happen at any state of charge.
By all means fly at 30% or 50% for some phycological factor.

RoarRoar, I purchased the Lipo bags on Amazon as well. Haven't used them yet. Did the TSA react to the Lipo bags.
I am flying to Scotland early next year. It sounds like you did not have any trouble flying to Europe either.
Thanks

I have never been asked about lipo bags by TSA or security in any international airport ever. I use them on occasion when I am just packing my small camera bag. They are easy to ID quickly when I pop the bag open for personal use when shooting something.

That is the very thing I was exploring. The Lipo bags actually bring attention to the batteries. The airport TSA might think "this must be dangerous if he needs a Lipo bag." It might be better to down play it.
The Lipo bags do deprive the battery of oxygen, needed for a fire.
You don't need to downplay anything.
Their people see lithium batteries every day of the week.
The TSA have guidelines that they follow, and the rules are simple.

Use Lipo bags if you want to, but no air safety authority asks passengers to use them.
Likewise it's only in drone forums that you'll see recommendations to discharge batteries before travelling.
It's not a recommendation from any air safety authority.
And you won't see any suggesting that every flyer should discharge the lithium batteries in their laptops, iPads and mobile phones before flying.

A few years ago I went on a trip to Africa. I carried my camera in my carry one but the lenses I had in a Pelican case that I put in a $5 suitcase I bought at Goodwill. It was a very crappy looking suitcase and really didn't look like it held anything valuable. If you have to check camera equipment this is something to think about.

A gate agent once told me that lipo restrictions only apply to "loose" batteries (that can "short", I suppose). That batteries installed in a device (or separated from each other?) are OK in checked bags. But don't take that as Gospel. Err on the side of safety.

Reactions: AVLJMA
I live on the east coast and will be visiting the west coast in October. Airline reservations are booked. I'd like to take my Mavic Pro along in my luggage with three batteries. I know the AC shouldn't be an issue, but what about the batteries? I can UPS them ahead separate if I need to. What are your guys' experience with all of this?

In general, the best way is to keep your Aircraft in the normal baggage and the LIPO batteries kept with you.
You can put each in their small LIPO safe bag with isolating tape stuck on the pins.
the individual LIPO safe bags can be kept into a bigger LIPO safe bag with handle for convenience.
They will check you but you can show you've done your best to protect them.
TSA staff are not always in-the-know about these things so you can print the regulations to keep handy.
Do not forget the last artefact: a smile and politeness can go a long way. ;)

Reactions: AVLJMA
I live on the east coast and will be visiting the west coast in October. Airline reservations are booked. I'd like to take my Mavic Pro along in my luggage with three batteries. I know the AC shouldn't be an issue, but what about the batteries? I can UPS them ahead separate if I need to. What are your guys' experience with all of this?
Batteries are Lithium Ion. They have to be hand-carried, which is not really that bug a deal. You can probably send them via UPS ground - but why bother?

Batteries are Lithium Ion. They have to be hand-carried, which is not really that bug a deal. You can probably send them via UPS ground - but why bother?

Definitely no need to ship, they are carry on for all airlines.

So how's the drone flying up there ?
Loved our trip to PNG in 2008, covered a lot of ground.
Where are you based ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Esccueje