DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Travel to Cambodia: Drones and laws

Angeloc

Reactions
Hello to all.
I would like to take a backpacker trip to Cambodia next August and I would like to bring my Mavic Pro2 with me.
There are no clear and precise laws therefore I cannot understand how to behave.
I have often read about people to whom the drone was confiscated upon arrival at the airport at customs without the possibility of being able to introduce it in Cambodia.
I would like to avoid having problems with both their laws and avoiding that the drone is confiscated on my arrival before entering Cambodia.
What experience have you had?
Can drones be brought into Cambodia or is there a risk that they will be confiscated on arrival at the airport?
Is the risk of being confiscated at the airport real?
Thank you all for your help.

Here’s a start and contact info.

Hello.
I have already tried to contact the State Secretariat of Civil Aviation but nobody answers me.
I sent them dozens of emails.
Even their site isn't working well.
In addition to them I tried to contact the embassy but can't tell me anything.
It is not easy to understand how to behave.
The thing that worries me most, is not so much not being able to use the drone, but that on my arrival at the airport they can confiscate it.
I was hoping that someone on the forum could help me.

Cambodia is one of the SEA countries I haven't flown in or tried to bring a drone to.

Drones have been banned in Phnom Penh since a German tourist flew over the Royal Palace while the queen was in her courtyard. Drones require specific permission to fly at Siem Reap/Angkor Wat.

I left my drone in Vietnam when I visited Phnom Penh last year. While researching my trip, I saw a video where a vlogger states he lost his drone to confiscation and about 16 hours of his life, over two days, to detention and interrogation by police. He got caught operating, so obviously he was able to bring it into the country.

I wouldn't bring a drone to Cambodia, but if I did, I wouldn't fly at Angkor Wat or Phnom Penh. Things might be different in the countryside or at the beaches. It's just a country I'm not that interested in.

There are many places I roll the dice. Cambodia is not one of them. I'd be interested to hear your decision/experience.

Last edited:
Hello to all.
I would like to take a backpacker trip to Cambodia next August and I would like to bring my Mavic Pro2 with me.
There are no clear and precise laws therefore I cannot understand how to behave.
I have often read about people to whom the drone was confiscated upon arrival at the airport at customs without the possibility of being able to introduce it in Cambodia.
I would like to avoid having problems with both their laws and avoiding that the drone is confiscated on my arrival before entering Cambodia.
What experience have you had?
Can drones be brought into Cambodia or is there a risk that they will be confiscated on arrival at the airport?
Is the risk of being confiscated at the airport real?
Thank you all for your help.
First hand info here.
I have flown my mavic 2 several times in Cambodia, no issue at the Siem Reap Airport at all. (I have no idea about Phnom Penh, but why would anyone go to Phnom Penh anyway).
Phnom Penh became a no fly zone after a German idiot had flown over the gardens of the Royal Palace and the mother queen was there, allegedly in some kind of swimsuit... Urban legend or not, that made PP a no fly zone.
However, there is no general drone ban in Cambodia. I've even flown over Angkor Wat, you can do it if you know where to go. Definitely don't bring it with you to the archeological area, they may watch there and get you (to extort money). Angkor Wat is also no fly zone by the way. Also pretty much close to the airport.
However, on the other side... [emoji6]
No worries, over the city and outta fields you can fly, no problems.

This was taken just before new years.

Have a good flight [emoji6]

Hello.
I have already tried to contact the State Secretariat of Civil Aviation but nobody answers me.
I sent them dozens of emails.
Even their site isn't working well.
In addition to them I tried to contact the embassy but can't tell me anything.
It is not easy to understand how to behave.
The thing that worries me most, is not so much not being able to use the drone, but that on my arrival at the airport they can confiscate it.
I was hoping that someone on the forum could help me.
Don't make noise. Just do it. Trust me. I've done a million times. See my other comment. The VDO there is in Hungarian but you can find some drone shots taken there in Cambodia. Cheers

Great posts and good advice, Digiteye.

The part about the queen mother is true, as confirmed by the Cambodian government. It seems the incident escalated to urban legend with the inclusion of a swimsuit.

Reactions: digiteye
First hand info here.
I have flown my mavic 2 several times in Cambodia, no issue at the Siem Reap Airport at all. (I have no idea about Phnom Penh, but why would anyone go to Phnom Penh anyway).
Phnom Penh became a no fly zone after a German idiot had flown over the gardens of the Royal Palace and the mother queen was there, allegedly in some kind of swimsuit... Urban legend or not, that made PP a no fly zone.
However, there is no general drone ban in Cambodia. I've even flown over Angkor Wat, you can do it if you know where to go. Definitely don't bring it with you to the archeological area, they may watch there and get you (to extort money). Angkor Wat is also no fly zone by the way. Also pretty much close to the airport.
However, on the other side... [emoji6]
No worries, over the city and outta fields you can fly, no problems.

This was taken just before new years.

Have a good flight [emoji6]

Hello.
Thanks for the informations.
We, for reasons of economic convenience, would like to enter Cambodia from Phnom Penh.
My biggest concern is not that I can't use the drone in Cambodia but that the drone is confiscated on arrival at the airport in Phnom Penh.
I am very worried about this thing (my drone is practically new as well as being very expensive), therefore I would like to have at least the certainty that drones can be introduced in Cambodia.
No Cambodian authority answers me and the absence of specific laws (as they exist for Thailand), creates a lot of confusion and concern in people.
What do you suggest me?
Do you think that on arrival in Cambodia there could be a risk of confiscation of the drone in Phnom Penh?
Or could it, in your opinion, happen upon leaving the country, given that hand luggage must necessarily pass through the check scanner?
Thanks and sorry for the many questions.

I think there's very minimal risk when leaving the country. Security people are looking for items to keep off of passenger planes. Customs people are looking for items to keep out of the country. Totally different mindsets from two different departments.

I flew into PNH last year and wasn't searched. If I'd been carrying my Mavic, it would not have been seen.

I stated above I wouldn't roll the dice in Cambodia, but after reading Digiteye's experience, I would consider drone flights outside of PP and SR. I was only going to be in Phnom Penh for the weekend. If I'd been planning to travel outside of the city, I probably would have considered bringing my Mavic for the countryside or beaches

I've been traveling with drones in SEA since 2014, and posted some tips, specific to Vietnam, that might be useful. Here's a cut/paste selection from a Vietnam thread.

--------------------

Mitigating risk
Realize flying in Vietnam, or any other country requiring certification, isn't without risk. There's a massive statue they call Lady Buddha in Da Nang. She is taller than the Statue of Liberty in New York City. I asked the security police there if I could fly my P3. "Sure! Nobody cares," was the reply I got. I opened my backpack to show them my drone. Yes, go ahead. No problem. Within a few minutes, I was buzzing around her face like an irritating mosquito and he was right. Nobody cared.

My mistake is I took this "nobody cares" attitude and applied it to all of Vietnam. On my next trip I was in Vung Tau flying from the promenade at the beach. I went back the next day and launched again. Within minutes, I was surrounded by 6 Vietnamese Army soldiers. I was compelled to recover the drone and taken to an Army Station in the city. I was treated professionally and courteously, but they confiscated my drone for 2 weeks while they "investigated."

Some tips:
  • Be tactical and stealthy. Don't launch near crowds; they will gather around you. The soldiers at Vung Tau were tipped off by a guy at the beach.
  • Range is your friend. Example: if you want to fly over the Imperial Citadel at Hue, launch from at least a mile away and across the river.
  • Get your footage and go. As a rule, I don't do more than two flights from the same location. Have your backpack or case be the type where you can quickly shove your gear in and go, if necessary. Sort out your kit later.
  • Bribe money - I always keep a few $100 bills handy just in case. I've never resorted to using them.

I think there's very minimal risk when leaving the country. Security people are looking for items to keep off of passenger planes. Customs people are looking for items to keep out of the country. Totally different mindsets from two different departments.

I flew into PNH last year and wasn't searched. If I'd been carrying my Mavic, it would not have been seen.

I stated above I wouldn't roll the dice in Cambodia, but after reading Digiteye's experience, I would consider drone flights outside of PP and SR. I was only going to be in Phnom Penh for the weekend. If I'd been planning to travel outside of the city, I probably would have considered bringing my Mavic for the countryside or beaches

I've been traveling with drones in SEA since 2014, and posted some tips, specific to Vietnam, that might be useful. Here's a cut/paste selection from a Vietnam thread.

--------------------

Mitigating risk
Realize flying in Vietnam, or any other country requiring certification, isn't without risk. There's a massive statue they call Lady Buddha in Da Nang. She is taller than the Statue of Liberty in New York City. I asked the security police there if I could fly my P3. "Sure! Nobody cares," was the reply I got. I opened my backpack to show them my drone. Yes, go ahead. No problem. Within a few minutes, I was buzzing around her face like an irritating mosquito and he was right. Nobody cared.

My mistake is I took this "nobody cares" attitude and applied it to all of Vietnam. On my next trip I was in Vung Tau flying from the promenade at the beach. I went back the next day and launched again. Within minutes, I was surrounded by 6 Vietnamese Army soldiers. I was compelled to recover the drone and taken to an Army Station in the city. I was treated professionally and courteously, but they confiscated my drone for 2 weeks while they "investigated."

Some tips:
  • Be tactical and stealthy. Don't launch near crowds; they will gather around you. The soldiers at Vung Tau were tipped off by a guy at the beach.
  • Range is your friend. Example: if you want to fly over the Imperial Citadel at Hue, launch from at least a mile away and across the river.
  • Get your footage and go. As a rule, I don't do more than two flights from the same location. Have your backpack or case be the type where you can quickly shove your gear in and go, if necessary. Sort out your kit later.
  • Bribe money - I always keep a few $100 bills handy just in case. I've never resorted to using them.
Thanks for the valuable advice.
Now I will decide well what to do.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
datkin