DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Traveling on an airline with mavic air

Flew home Sunday with 4 batteries in the case with my MA. Just told the TSA agent there was a drone in the case and no problem. I have Jimi it best to take the travel case out of the carryon and let them know what it is beforehand. So far, two flights and no problems.

I've flown out of newark,San fran,dallas,atlanta,orlando,atlanta,ft Lauderdale numerous times with everything in the mavic bag without any issues. I do have tsa pre but not sure if that matters. Nobody has said a word about it at the airport. I got my backpack swabbed 1 time but nothing about the drone.

My local airport is usually a PITA about stuff, but we flew out west with my Air in a backpack w/ 3 batteries and all the "fly more" candy. TSA did not bat an eye.....However, the small swiss army pocket knife my GF forgot was in her backpack was another story! :( Oh well!

Regularly travel with a number of camera batereies and recently with 3 MA battery’s plus 1 CS battery. No issues with tsa, there are no requirements in the US about discharging them that I’ve been able to find easily. For my own piece of mind, I do carry them in a Lipo bag.

I had no problem bringing this on my carry on from Baltimore Airport to Cancun Mexico with Spirit Airline. It was on its original bag with an extra battery (all fully charged). TSA scanned my carry on and it's like they didn't even noticed it.

I am flying spirit airlines to the west coast in August. I planned on taking my mavic air with me. Any advice on traveling with it? Getting through tsa and on the plane? Thanks.
I have never flown Spirit Airlines but have taken my drone several times to/from the US (Dulles and Denver airports) with no problems. I take my battery out of the drone but have never had a problem with 3 drone batteries in my carry on luggage. I have also taken my DJI Goggles without a problem. TSA is accustomed to seeing drones and their accessories. Just act like you know what you are doing and you should sail through. If you start acting paranoid then you will create a problem for yourself.

I didn't know the two battery part. Can you give one to someone else as a carry on item to be able to take the 3 that come with the fly more combo?

I will be 3d printing terminal covers and then taking some tape, just in case they don't like the covers.

I traveled with my MP this past January. I have a hard travel case that holds the MP, and my DJI goggles. I have 4 batteries. I had zero issues and any point going either direction (leaving and coming home). My return home, tsa opened my case and inspected. But never had an issue and allowed me to continue. That case also had my crystalsky 5.5 and it’s battery. So I’m not sure about only having 2 batteries. That’s not my experience.

I carried my Mavic pro to Norway with 4 batteries and two batters for the crystal sky and no problems going or coming back. Funny thing I thought the phantom was too big to get on the plane but I notice two different guys with the phantom backpacks at the Oslo airport on there way back to the states.

I didn't know the two battery part. Can you give one to someone else as a carry on item to be able to take the 3 that come with the fly more combo?

I will be 3d printing terminal covers and then taking some tape, just in case they don't like the covers.
I've carried on the Mavic with 3 batteries to Italy twice, Paris once and California three times. No questions or problems from TSA or any international security regarding number of batteries, no terminal covers, etc.

Hi, I am frequently traveling from New York JFK to Frankfurt Germany. Never had an issue either way with the entire fly more combo in carry on.

Thanks for all of the responses. Feel much better now. Didn’t want an issue with the family traveling with me.

Flew Edinburgh Stockholm one way with loose batteries in carried luggage and the other way with everything in checked baggage (SAS)

I flew with my air yesterday from DAL (Dallas) to LGA (NYC). No issues.

One thing I was thinking about was the terminal. Technically, the FAA has no jurisdiction indoors. I casually wondered what would happen if I had flown it down the huge open interior of the terminal. :D

I've taken Mavy through Heathrow, both Paris airports, Auckland, Melbourne, and several in the states. The bag that came with fmc fits perfectly inside my fanny pack, along with a paperback, and a few personal items. With batteries discharged and capped, I have only once had to unpack for TSA in Denver. According to friends, problems tend to occur in the Middle East and parts of Asia.

Last edited:
I’ve gone throughTSA several times with my Mavic Pro and it’s battery, 3 spares and all other needed things all in the same case and never had a problem nor have had to take it out of its bag. This last time I had my Pro and all its stuff in one case and my Tello and spare batteries in another case and all in the same bag with my tablet and some other electronics and not one problem. As others said it just needs to be in your carry-on luggage. And to the poster about taking the tablet out, that is recently new from TSA that all tablets must come out of your bag as well as laptops. Great thing about TSA Pre is you don’t have to take anything out of your carry-on. Have a great trip

planning a trip soon. get info on here. thanks to all you frequent flyers, both in the air and on the ground lol

Not a problem at all to travel with your drone. TSA is perfectly fine with it, with a few caveats... But nothing major.

Has to be carry-on. You can only carry two batteries with you, depending on size, and no they don't have to be discharged.

I personally like to take the props off and put them in my regular luggage that goes underneath the plane so there's no issue with the blades being considered harmful, and to give them an extra bit of confidence I won't power it up at any point during my travel.

Spirit Airlines on Drones:

Can I carry a DRONE onboard?

TSA Rules on Drones:

Drones

TSA Rules on Lipo Batteries:

Lithium batteries with 100 watt hours or less in a device

I regularly fly with a mavic air in bag, with all 3 mavic batteries, as well as 10 inspire 2 batteries, carried on.

noone cares.

In the last year, besides a dozen or so shoots in the USA, I have flown to jamaica, BVI, Saint marten, costa rica, mexico several times, canada, scotland, and prob a few i am forgetting, with that setup, or at least the mavic carried on.

No problems at all.

I regularly fly with a mavic air in bag, with all 3 mavic batteries, as well as 10 inspire 2 batteries, carried on.

noone cares.

In the last year, besides a dozen or so shoots in the USA, I have flown to jamaica, BVI, Saint marten, costa rica, mexico several times, canada, scotland, and prob a few i am forgetting, with that setup, or at least the mavic carried on.

No problems at all.
Woooow, would love to see those shots in all those places. Do you post them on YouTube?

Woooow, would love to see those shots in all those places. Do you post them on YouTube?
usually the client gets to use them. Sometimes I post clips on my instagram at Aerial West Cinema Drones (@aerialwestfilms) • Instagram photos and videos

I've been so busy lately I haven't posted the latest film projects. Did aerials for a show that premiered a few months ago for Gordon Ramsey. i haven't had a chance to watch it though, or edit some clips.

https://www.fox.com/gordon-ramsays-24-hours-to-hell-and-back/

maybe you can see them on the show :)

Do not check in the batteries in your luggage. Take them in your carry on. Have them charged. All should be fine.

Over the last two months I have gone through San Francisco, London Heathrow, London Gatwick, Madrid and Athens airports. In all cases I had the Mavic Air + 3 batteries in my carry-on.
In all airports I was asked to take the drone out from the bag for the security scan. The batteries were actually examined only in London Heathrow where the agent confirmed they are below 100Wh and allowed them through.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters