DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Traveling on an airline with mavic air

I’m currently in transit at Doha (flying back from Nice to Johannesburg) have had no issues whatsoever with my mavic and it’s 3 spare batteries - I did get all my kit swabbed in Nice though ..... must have been the coke I used to disguise the bottle of truffle Oil

I am flying spirit airlines to the west coast in August. I planned on taking my mavic air with me. Any advice on traveling with it? Getting through tsa and on the plane? Thanks.
I live in New Zealand. I have been to Hawaii and then Alaska twice with a Mavic Pro in my carry on. It was just treated as a camera - no problems both ways, that's 8 times through Customs at Honolulu

I am flying spirit airlines to the west coast in August. I planned on taking my mavic air with me. Any advice on traveling with it? Getting through tsa and on the plane? Thanks.
Not a problem. Just flew to Greece on AA. Left the Magic Air in its case when checking thru TSA. No problem. Had battery in explosive proof charging bag bought on eBay. As recommended in user manual Discharge to 1/4

May be a silly question but is their issue with the drone or the batteries when it comes to carry on vs checked? I’ll be heading to Florida and two weeks and would rather check the drone itself (no batteries) in my luggage. Then carry on the batteries if that’s what’s required. This is more for carryon space limitations as I have other items I’d like to carry on. Checking the bird would save me some troubles.

Yes, it’s ok on Air Canada, I carried mine on just to protect it from luggage handlers. The batteries are well below the power rating that they would like to be informed of...... to be safe, I would call the airline you are using and also the embassy of the country you are traveling to..... I did..... it’s easy. The reason I say this is because before I had my drone I went to Cuba.... we planned on geocaching there but when we arrive Cuban security seized our handheld GPS..... had to pay a fee to get it back when we left for home...... they figured that since it was a GPS unit that we may be spies and using it to mark strategic locations.... lmfao.... like we were trying to end the world..... I pointed out that every single person that was carrying a cell phone was also a potential spy with a gps app installed.... they found no humour in that. :)

May be a silly question but is their issue with the drone or the batteries when it comes to carry on vs checked? I’ll be heading to Florida and two weeks and would rather check the drone itself (no batteries) in my luggage. Then carry on the batteries if that’s what’s required. This is more for carryon space limitations as I have other items I’d like to carry on. Checking the bird would save me some troubles.

It is the batteries that they are concerned with when in the cargo/baggage hold, no one can see anything smoking if there was a problem. But since it is safer to have it all with you, no chance of damage or stealing it, why even wonder about putting it in the baggage hold?

It is the batteries that they are concerned with when in the cargo/baggage hold, no one can see anything smoking if there was a problem. But since it is safer to have it all with you, no chance of damage or stealing it, why even wonder about putting it in the baggage hold?

Thanks. Only because I’ll have some other stuff with me as carry on and worried about space. This all.

Not a problem at all to travel with your drone. TSA is perfectly fine with it, with a few caveats... But nothing major.

Has to be carry-on. You can only carry two batteries with you, depending on size, and no they don't have to be discharged.

I personally like to take the props off and put them in my regular luggage that goes underneath the plane so there's no issue with the blades being considered harmful, and to give them an extra bit of confidence I won't power it up at any point during my travel.

Spirit Airlines on Drones:

Can I carry a DRONE onboard?

TSA Rules on Drones:

Drones

TSA Rules on Lipo Batteries:

Lithium batteries with 100 watt hours or less in a device
Where did you find the 2 battery limit?

You can only carry two batteries with you

I fly frequently and TSA has never questioned my three batteries. Always carry on!!!

If your airline has any restrictions, that is a different issue. I have nt heard of a domestic airline ever having an issue. The one thing that just might get your batteries confiscated is to put them in checked baggage.

Drones and batteries go through TSA like all other electronics, take them out of your main bag/backpack/suitcase to have them run through X-ray separately, as you would a laptop, tablet, or camera.

Specifically, I carry my MPP with 3 batteries in a small camera bag, which I remove from my larger backpack and run separately through the x-ray conveyor. No need to separately remove the aircraft and batteries. I've never received any comments or questions from TSA agents.

Interestingly, my DJI Goggles have gone through TSA inside my carry-on roller suitcase, no problem. (I.e. I don't remove those).

Just flew from Austin to Boulder and back, hand carried and no problems. Full kit with three batteries.

Have traveled with drones extensively over the last four years (P4 now MA). Currently in UK after being in EU countries, and California, no issues. Over the last six months have done a number of South Pacific islands also with no issues. Used to put Phantom 4 (four Batteries) in checked in baggage with other camera gear, now carry on Mavic Air (5 batteries).
Leaving Vanuatu recently Customs spent a couple of minutes asking me important questions like maximum range and height of Air.

It seems to go without saying but after a couple of posts I have read lately I guess not, please take the battery out of your drone before traveling.

Does anyone know if you have to remove the batteries from your checked luggage if you go through "known traveler" TSA line. I don't take out my laptop, go pro and other electronics.

It seems to go without saying but after a couple of posts I have read lately I guess not, please take the battery out of your drone before traveling.
What is the logic behind that ( I am asking as a newbie). I don't take the battery out of my laptop, my GoPro or any other electronic device. I have been asked to take the batteries out of my underwater scuba light in Cozumel; but, not in the states.

What is the logic behind that ( I am asking as a newbie). I don't take the battery out of my laptop, my GoPro or any other electronic device. I have been asked to take the batteries out of my underwater scuba light in Cozumel; but, not in the states.
I am a newbie too. After my very first flight I was surprised by how warm the battery was so I am just in the habit of taking it out right away. I never thought about my laptop but it will go to sleep if left on. If your drone is accidentally bumped and turned on it does not have a go to sleep feature and is going to overheat and possibly cause damage.
Check this out -
Battery overheated and swelled up on flight while in carryon bag. Battery was put in explosives box

Reactions: Fried Eagle
That article you referenced, JDawg, convinced me to take my battery out. I am glad I asked. Good advice.
BTW, I checked on that thermal bag that the article referenced. I called a United buddy of mine and he said that United has been carrying them for about 3 months now. One in the passenger compartment and one in the cockpit for the pilots iPads. Point is, if you should have an on board problem, don't hide it tell a flight attendant right away. You will not get in trouble.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78