DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Travelling to Sri Lanka - Laws and Regulations??

kjmarino

Reactions
Hi All,

I am going to be travelling to Sri Lanka with my Mavic Pro in August and I wanted to see if anyone had any insight to bringing a Mavic into the country?
I've been told I have to register my Mavic in order to use it in the country, so I tried registering but just ended up against a brick wall with the civil aviation authority of Sri Lanka. Has anyone gone through this process before? Or any other tips to bringing my Mavic into the country?

Many thanks!!

I recently saw drones being used in SL in open countryside and quiet beach areas far away from any restricted areas/ city.

A Mavic in Sri Lanka

- for info about your question.

Last edited:
For anyone looking to go to Sri Lanka with your drone and do some recreational shooting as a tourist, here's my experience. from January 2018:

Before travelling, I did some reading here and elsewhere and found a lot of conflicting information, so I managed to contact the CCA of Sri Lanka to ask about the process. They actually got back to me in a timely manner with a detailed email and attached documents. I later found the same documents here on the CAA website.

An excerpt of their email is below:
Fill-up the Drone Registration form CAA/AS/019 (Attached), scan it & email to us for registration which is a pre-requisite for us to consider your application for the OPERATION of the drone by filling-up form CAA/AS/017 (attached).

Please note the following useful information as well:

You are required to obtain the Security Clearance from the Office of the Chief of Defence Staff (OCDS) for the Operation of the Drone using Fax or e-mail & submit to this office on e-mail in advance:

Make a request giving the Drone specifications comprising type/Serial no/weight etc, proposed dates, times & locations of the intended Drone operation to

• Office of the Chief of Defence Staff , Block No.5, BMICH, Bauddhaloka Mawatha, Colombo 07, Sri Lanka.
Tele: +94 11 2674503; +94 11 2674506 ; Hot Line:+94 11 3075792

Fax: +94 11 674507 Email: [email protected] ; [email protected]

(Fax is the preferred mode of communication at present)

If proposed location(s) for your operation include any Archeologically important sites in Sri Lanka, you are also required to obtain a ‘No Objection’ from the following office as well:

• Director General of Archeology, Department of Archeology,
Sir Marcus Fernando Mawatha, Colombo 07, Sri Lanka

ATTN : Mr. J. D. Wijethilake/Director (Promotions) , TP:+ 94 11 2688326 Fax: + 94 11 2665882

So essentially it is a three part process: 1) Security Clearance, 2) Registration, 3) Permits for operation.

Basically, it's just too difficult/time-consuming/costly to go through all these bureaucratic processes to fly recreationally while on holiday. I couldn't justify the hassle, and didn't have time anyway.

Getting my drone into Sri Lanka wasn't an issue. After arriving in Colombo, I had the Mavic in my carry-on of course. I picked up my checked bag and just walked out of the airport. No security check or scan.

I toured around to all the common sites. I saw an Indian photo crew flying a Phantom at Nine Arches Bridge during a wedding shoot, with police/security standing by. I'm guessing they had a permit. I also saw a Chinese tourist flying her MP at Galle Fort with plenty of people around, in broad view and seemingly oblivious to her surroundings. She seemed to get away with it and probably got some nice footage although she seemed a rookie pilot. There are no-drones-allowed signage at the major archeological sites, as expected.

I talked to my tour guide about flying and he confirmed that it is indeed difficult to get the required permits to fly, especially for the main attractions. He said even Discovery Channel couldn't get them and their shoot was scrapped as a result. He said that there are certain high-security areas, esp. around the major sites and to fly there would be a big risk.

My guide and I spoke to security officers at a few of the more minor attractions (waterfalls, etc) about possibly flying and they actually gave permission for me to fly if I chose to do so. They didn't ask for permits. I didn't bother flying, not wanting to get into a situation where I might be asked for money after the fact.

In summary, for the tourist, I wouldn't hesitate to bring the drone through Sri Lanka if you have other countries on your travel itinerary like I did. As for flying there, the process seems prohibitive to me, but if you choose to follow it, you should do so well in advance. For risking it and flying without a permit, it seems like the major sites are a no-go but you may be able to fly at some minor sites with permission from the security personnel on duty at the site. Of course YMMV.

Reactions: kjmarino
For anyone looking to go to Sri Lanka with your drone and do some recreational shooting as a tourist, here's my experience. from January 2018:

Before travelling, I did some reading here and elsewhere and found a lot of conflicting information, so I managed to contact the CCA of Sri Lanka to ask about the process. They actually got back to me in a timely manner with a detailed email and attached documents. I later found the same documents here on the CAA website.

An excerpt of their email is below:

So essentially it is a three part process: 1) Security Clearance, 2) Registration, 3) Permits for operation.

Basically, it's just too difficult/time-consuming/costly to go through all these bureaucratic processes to fly recreationally while on holiday. I couldn't justify the hassle, and didn't have time anyway.

Getting my drone into Sri Lanka wasn't an issue. After arriving in Colombo, I had the Mavic in my carry-on of course. I picked up my checked bag and just walked out of the airport. No security check or scan.

I toured around to all the common sites. I saw an Indian photo crew flying a Phantom at Nine Arches Bridge during a wedding shoot, with police/security standing by. I'm guessing they had a permit. I also saw a Chinese tourist flying her MP at Galle Fort with plenty of people around, in broad view and seemingly oblivious to her surroundings. She seemed to get away with it and probably got some nice footage although she seemed a rookie pilot. There are no-drones-allowed signage at the major archeological sites, as expected.

I talked to my tour guide about flying and he confirmed that it is indeed difficult to get the required permits to fly, especially for the main attractions. He said even Discovery Channel couldn't get them and their shoot was scrapped as a result. He said that there are certain high-security areas, esp. around the major sites and to fly there would be a big risk.

My guide and I spoke to security officers at a few of the more minor attractions (waterfalls, etc) about possibly flying and they actually gave permission for me to fly if I chose to do so. They didn't ask for permits. I didn't bother flying, not wanting to get into a situation where I might be asked for money after the fact.

In summary, for the tourist, I wouldn't hesitate to bring the drone through Sri Lanka if you have other countries on your travel itinerary like I did. As for flying there, the process seems prohibitive to me, but if you choose to follow it, you should do so well in advance. For risking it and flying without a permit, it seems like the major sites are a no-go but you may be able to fly at some minor sites with permission from the security personnel on duty at the site. Of course YMMV.

Thank you so much for your detailed explanation. I'll be flying to Sri Lanka this Friday and this bureaucratic procedure for drone hobbyists are painfully annoying. Would they randomly check like the custom from Australia?

Thank you so much for your detailed explanation. I'll be flying to Sri Lanka this Friday and this bureaucratic procedure for drone hobbyists are painfully annoying. Would they randomly check like the custom from Australia?
I recall there being x-ray scanners after the baggage claim on the way out of the airport, however when I was there they were not in operation and everyone just strolled on past with their luggage. YMMV, of course. I don't think it is illegal to simply bring a drone into Sri Lanka, it's flying legally that is prohibitively bureaucratic.
There certainly wasn't anything like AUS or NZ where they tear your bag apart looking for stray apples or muddy boots.
As for flying there, my "hunch" is that if you were selective about your locations (e.g. rural tea plantations, lesser populated villages, not-too-busy beaches) you could possibly get away with flying just fine and come away with some nice footage, not that I did myself of course. As I mentioned previously, my tour guide obtained verbal permission from the security guard to fly at a couple non-archaeological attractions (e.g. Nine Arches Bridge, some waterfalls near Kandy, etc.) although I chose not to do so, of course. So you might be able to go that route as well but be prepared to grease his palm with a few rupees for the favour, not that I would do something like that. I'm not recommending breaking any rules, of course. This is all purely hypothetical.

Yip, got it. I'm planning to check out the tea plantation, temples and national park. I know the last 2 are prohibited to fly the drone. But really hope there are nice people at the tea plantation that will allow me (verbally ) to fly.

I found a document that list the type of places that are no fly zone. Colombo city is one of it. I'll share the document here for anybody that is currently planning to fly in Sri Lanka. This document is from 2016 by the way.

Thanks again for the explanation, I really appreciate it and I'll share my flying experience in Sri Lanka with everybody when I get back home in 2 weeks.

Attachments

• Sri-Lanka-CAA-prohibited-and-restricted-areas-as-of-2016-10-03.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 17

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy