DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tripod mount?

Tufargon

Reactions
I was looking at the bottom my MA2 at the sensors and light. Kind of looked like where you would attach it to a tripod. I thought that would have been nice because I used to take my Autel XSP and just sit it on the porch and record video for very long periods and turn them into a time lapse. Is there any kind of accessory that would allow to mount it on a tripod?
Here is one I did with a crappy garmin camof fog rolling over the Salmon River in Idaho. I wish I could have taken the telephone wires out of the pic but it was literally the only place I could put the garmin and I had nothing else to film with at the time.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I had wondered what the practicalities would be of using the MA2 as a simple gimbal-stabilised hand-held camera. I wonder what the battery life is like without the motors running.

Reactions: Tufargon
I had wondered what the practicalities would be of using the MA2 as a simple gimbal-stabilised hand-held camera. I wonder what the battery life is like without the motors running.
If I remember correctly my XSP would last at least an hour and a half. You just don't run the motors and sit it there or carry it. Whatever you feel like doing. Another time I set it on top of my truck to film me fishing.

A flat board perhaps, maybe with a slight lip.

That said, how hot will the MA2 get with out the forced ventilation of running props?

Reactions: Tufargon
A flat board perhaps, maybe with a slight lip.

That said, how hot will the MA2 get with out the forced ventilation of running props?
No clue. Kind of why I'm asking if there is such a thing. The XSP didn't even notice when it sat out in 100F weather. I would think the motors are what heat up in the first place so if they're off it wouldn't heat up at all.

Exactly like what this guy is talking about.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I don't know how much heat the MA2 kicks out but it is recommend to direct the output of a fan over a Phantom 3 if it will be sitting, powered, for an length of time.
An M2P gets warm to hot underneath when sat powered and I normally point a fan at it and or the mini if either is going to be sat powered. The heat I am concerned about comes from the components on circuit boards in the drone's body, not from the motors.

There's a simple way to check stick something convenient under what ever the MA2 sits on to lift a bit and allow some ventilation. Power it up and leaving it sitting for 5 minutes or so then come back and feel how hot its body is. Ultimately you are the one who will have to decided if it is too hot, or not, for your tastes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't see how it would be any different to a normal camera for producing heat but I don't know. I just think it would be a simple thing that if it worked would be awesome for different ways of filming as the guy said in the vid I posted above.

Reactions: Jane Duff
Well, all anyone can do is give your information or opinions, whether or not you take heed of that is up to you. If you try it and your drone cooks all I can say is you have been alerted to the possibility that it could happen.

Can't see how it would be any different to a normal camera for producing heat but I don't know. I just think it would be a simple thing that if it worked would be awesome for different ways of filming as the guy said in the vid I posted above.
A normal camera doesn't have the additional processing power required to maintain stabilized flight using GPS.

Just a theory.

A normal camera doesn't have the additional processing power required to maintain stabilized flight using GPS.

Just a theory.
I agree but on the other hand my gimbal for my gopro doesn't use a fan. It has been done before with other drones is why I'm asking.

Well, all anyone can do is give your information or opinions, whether or not you take heed of that is up to you. If you try it and your drone cooks all I can say is you have been alerted to the possibility that it could happen.
I'm not wanting to cook my drone. Again, that's why i'm asking. If I didn't want the opinions or facts I would not have asked lol.
I've reflowed many motherboards and know what heat does and what temps do it. Thank you for your input. Honestly.

Reactions: G Randy Brown
But you seem to be arguing against those that you have been given. The answer is very simple, try it. then you will not be relying on opinions but relatively hard fact.
Best of luck what ever you do but I have nothing more to add to this thread.

Reactions: RustyBonz
Username checks out but perhaps a change to Obtuse is warranted.

But you seem to be arguing against those that you have been given. The answer is very simple, try it. then you will not be relying on opinions but relatively hard fact.
Best of luck what ever you do but I have nothing more to add to this thread.
Thank you. Not sure where you see I was arguing but I guess that's a matter of interpretation.
I would also like more "opinions" than yours.

Last edited:
Yep. I looked at that and thought the same thing. I guess if you're not moving it around it might be ok? This guy took it to another level and did the permanent thing.

Reactions: tiwag and GadgetGuy
Very little or nothing significant, as you only get stabilized video as it won't be able to record any audio.

I don't know how much heat the MA2 kicks out but it is recommend to direct the output of a fan over a Phantom 3 if it will be sitting, powered, for an length of time.
An M2P gets warm to hot underneath when sat powered and I normally point a fan at it and or the mini if either is going to be sat powered. The heat I am concerned about comes from the components on circuit boards in the drone's body, not from the motors.

There's a simple way to check stick something convenient under what ever the MA2 sits on to lift a bit and allow some ventilation. Power it up and leaving it sitting for 5 minutes or so then come back and feel how hot its body is. Ultimately you are the one who will have to decided if it is too hot, or not, for your tastes.
Mavic 2 has a cooling fan and does not rely on propellers for cooling. The same is valid for Mavic Air series (1 and 2) as these come with a cooling fan that keeps the CPU cool. The Aluminum belly also cools or perform heat dissipation, something the Mini is unable to do without running props.

I'm not wanting to cook my drone. Again, that's why i'm asking. If I didn't want the opinions or facts I would not have asked lol.
See above. With the built-in fan (active cooling) + belly acting as heat sink, the chances of cooking are minimal. It's not like you will have no notifications. The drone will also display a overheat message in the fly app, that you will use as a virtual view finder for the drone.

Here is the tear down info:

DJI_Mavic_Air_2_RCGeeks_teardown_86_mainboard_heatsink_removed_small_359eb3ad-7f6a-4e31-a48d-ac4308913d66.jpg
DJI_Mavic_Air_2_RCGeeks_teardown_87_mainboard_heatsink_removed_small_35bc52f0-f0cc-436f-8b85-a1ad69918143.jpg

Very little or nothing significant, as you only get stabilized video as it won't be able to record any audio.

Mavic 2 has a cooling fan and does not rely on propellers for cooling. The same is valid for Mavic Air series (1 and 2) as these come with a cooling fan that keeps the CPU cool. The Aluminum belly also cools or perform heat dissipation, something the Mini is unable to do without running props.

See above. With the built-in fan (active cooling) + belly acting as heat sink, the chances of cooking are minimal. It's not like you will have no notifications. The drone will also display a overheat message in the fly app, that you will use as a virtual view finder for the drone.

Here is the tear down info:

DJI_Mavic_Air_2_RCGeeks_teardown_86_mainboard_heatsink_removed_small_359eb3ad-7f6a-4e31-a48d-ac4308913d66.jpg
DJI_Mavic_Air_2_RCGeeks_teardown_87_mainboard_heatsink_removed_small_35bc52f0-f0cc-436f-8b85-a1ad69918143.jpg
Thank you. Incredibly informative and a step above.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rahim49