DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trouble with DJI boundaries in Dunedin, FL

MamaMangham

Reactions
I'm in Dunedin, FL and trying to fly a drone in my backyard. It's saying it is in restricted space and I have to apply for permission but I can't get past that screen on the app. Any tricks? Any places in the area to fly without running into this?

I'm in Dunedin, FL and trying to fly a drone in my backyard. It's saying it is in restricted space and I have to apply for permission but I can't get past that screen on the app. Any tricks? Any places in the area to fly without running into this?
On the south side of town, you may be in controlled airspace and need LAANC approval to fly. Check B4YouFly.

Looks like 2 heliports and Clearwater Airport on the south side...

Reactions: MamaMangham
On the south side of town, you may be in controlled airspace and need LAANC approval to fly. Check B4YouFly.

I see that, but the app isn't working to process the request for permission. The permission shows up on the app on the home but not on the drone control. Is there something we aren't doing?

I see that, but the app isn't working to process the request for permission. The permission shows up on the app on the home but not on the drone control. Is there something we aren't doing?
Are you attempting to fly in controlled airspace per B4YouFly? If so, have you obtained a LAANC approval?

Unless you're trying to fly within the dashed blue circle around Clearwater and obviously the inner solid blue circle around Tampa Int, there are no FAA flight restrictions for drones BUT DJI are very restrictive/careful with their fly areas. There are several 'DROTAMS' active in your area so you'll have to use the DJI app to get the restriction lifted on your drone. And don't try to fly in the Caladesi Island area as that is prohibited.
Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 20.25.57.png

@MamaMangham, it's much easier to see the controlled airspace using B4YouFly. You can enter you street address and find out if your in the controlled airspace in the southern part of Dunedin that associated with St. Pete Airport. DJI also creates. If you're within that area, the DJI Fly app will not allow you to take off without getting what's called LAANC authorization from the FAA.

DJI also posts messages and requires you to accept responsibility for flying in the blue area around the runway at Clearwater Airpark, show below. If you'll post a screen shot of the message you see or copy the exact message, someone can help you track down the problem. Don't get discouraged.

Screenshot 2023-12-29 225742.jpg

We ended up going to the Causeway to fly and having a lovely time. B4YouFly shows our address as Clear for Takeoff so we will check to see what's going on with the app next time we're in town. Thanks for all of y'all's help!

We ended up going to the Causeway to fly and having a lovely time. B4YouFly shows our address as Clear for Takeoff so we will check to see what's going on with the app next time we're in town. Thanks for all of y'all's help!
Are you in the blue region shown in the DJI Fly map in Post 8? If you, there's probably just a checkbox showing that you're aware of the airport and take responsibility.

Reactions: Capt KO
Annoyingly/ frustratingly, DJI impose restrictions where the FAA don’t. They are easy enough to unlock through the DJI fly app but it’s a shame we have to go through all that. If flying in restricted airspace like the class D ( blue dash circle at Clearwater ) you’ll need FAA clearance too or you’ll likely get in trouble ($$$)
It’s all easy enough and folk here will gladly help you out.

Reactions: Frank Dracman
Are you in the blue region shown in the DJI Fly map in Post 8? If you, there's probably just a checkbox showing that you're aware of the airport and take responsibility.
That’s how I fly at son’s house in Chattanooga. Within 5 mi of international airport but accept responsibility and can fly with a 200ft alt limit. Same when flying near Panama City Beach, FL. I have an unused heliport next door of my house but only receive a notice, no restrictions.

Reactions: rp6 and KBF
That’s how I fly at son’s house in Chattanooga. Within 5 mi of international airport but accept responsibility and can fly with a 200ft alt limit. Same when flying near Panama City Beach, FL. I have an unused heliport next door of my house but only receive a notice, no restrictions.
The 200' altitude limit near Chattanooga Metropolitan Airport sounds like a LAANC authorization.

The 200' altitude limit near Chattanooga Metropolitan Airport sounds like a LAANC authorization.
It's never been required, just a click on screen accepting responsibility and a note of height limit and VLOS. Not one to question it I just fly within the limits shown. My son is a commercial pilot and instructor there so he was surprised as well. Next time I'm there, now with RID, we'll see what happens.. hopefully not flashing lights. I'll let y'all know.

The causeway is a beautiful area. Have not flown there but been there many times as my wife used to live in Palm Harbor before we got married.

It's never been required, just a click on screen accepting responsibility and a note of height limit and VLOS. Not one to question it I just fly within the limits shown. My son is a commercial pilot and instructor there so he was surprised as well. Next time I'm there, now with RID, we'll see what happens.. hopefully not flashing lights. I'll let y'all know.
Be careful there. That one-click acknowledgement is only related to the DJI geo-fencing limit. You still need FAA authorization via the LAANC system to fly there legally. This isn't related to RID.

You can check your specific flight location here. There's a similar situation at NW Florida Beaches International Airport near Panama City. And the area around Tyndall AFB is prohibited airspace for drones.

Screenshot 2024-01-05 161530.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne