DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trust exam avable now

I just passed my exam on pilot Institute it's free just a heads up
I messaged the FAA asking whether or not, as a Remote Pilot certificate holder, I needed to take the TRUST test. Here is the reply I got. A yes or no is too simple?

"Let me put the answer into context of teh operating laws...

There is only one rule for operating small UAS (under 55 pounds) in the U.S. National Airspace System. That law is 14 CFR Part 107. There is a limited statutory exception (a "carve out") to the law, § 44809, which under specific circumstances, allows operation for the sole purpose of recreation.

Under Part 107, a certified, current operator may fly for any purpose, recreation included, but must fully comply with part 107.

Under the limited exception, an operator may ONLY fly for a recreational purpose, but must be fully compliant with all the other criteria of §44809, including completing the TRUST. Any other purpose makes the flight governed by Part 107. "

Reactions: Rich QR
I messaged the FAA asking whether or not, as a Remote Pilot certificate holder, I needed to take the TRUST test. Here is the reply I got. A yes or no is too simple?

"Let me put the answer into context of teh operating laws...

There is only one rule for operating small UAS (under 55 pounds) in the U.S. National Airspace System. That law is 14 CFR Part 107. There is a limited statutory exception (a "carve out") to the law, § 44809, which under specific circumstances, allows operation for the sole purpose of recreation.

Under Part 107, a certified, current operator may fly for any purpose, recreation included, but must fully comply with part 107.

Under the limited exception, an operator may ONLY fly for a recreational purpose, but must be fully compliant with all the other criteria of §44809, including completing the TRUST. Any other purpose makes the flight governed by Part 107. "
It's not answerable with a simple yes or no, because the answer depends on how you want to fly.

Do you need the TRUST exam to fly under Part 107? NO!

Do you need the TRUST exam to fly under section 44809? YES!

As the FAA rep points out, you may fly for any purpose, recreational or not, under Part 107. So there are very few reasons why a Part 107 certificated remote pilot would need to fly under section 44809. But there are also very few reasons why a Part 107 certificated pilot would want to avoid taking the TRUST exam, since it is so quick, easy and free.

It's not answerable with a simple yes or no, because the answer depends on how you want to fly.

Do you need the TRUST exam to fly under Part 107? NO!

Do you need the TRUST exam to fly under section 44809? YES!

As the FAA rep points out, you may fly for any purpose, recreational or not, under Part 107. So there are very few reasons why a Part 107 certificated remote pilot would need to fly under section 44809. But there are also very few reasons why a Part 107 certificated pilot would want to avoid taking the TRUST exam, since it is so quick, easy and free.
Thank you

Took me less than 20 mins to complete. Easy and pretty basic. Can't see where it would hurt to just go ahead and take it even if you're Part 107 licensed.

I took and Passed the TRUST exam on 6/25/21 on Drone Launch Academy's web site. All their info shows I passed but am unable to print my certificate. It says I do not have any certificates to print. I've emailed Drone Launch Academy and called them and emailed again. Haven't got a response!
Guess I should just go to another provider?
Any suggestions?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin