DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Try this fix for RE goggles before you give up and return them.

Pushkur

Reactions
My goggles were heading to China on Monday for repair to fix the terrible range issue.
Given what's sadly happening over there at the moment,and also dealing with Thai customs where I'm based,I decided to have one last try at fixing them,in the hope it was a firmware issue and not something else.
Hopefully my fix is permanent,time will tell.
1. First I refreshed the latest firmware on my m2z ,SC,and RE goggles.
2.I attached the Pagoda Arial.
3. I changed the GPS location to America,and flew in FCC instead of Ce.
I have the fake gps app loaded on my Android phone ,and my SC...bit more fiddling around to get it loaded on SC,but there is a you tube video out there to show you.
The result of doing all this was stock solid flight of 3500 mtr,which could have gone further.
I filmed in 4k,had the goggles set in HD 1080p with gimbal head tracking on.
Picture was solid flying in to the distance over the rice fields.
Fantastic.
I hope this might help a few of you guy (and girls).
Footnote I also got the goggles working with the mini, using the Chromecast dongle with HDMI adaptor,and a small power bank,try that one as well ??

Yes in FCC mode they work well beyond 2 miles line-of-sight for me but it is all about interference. As soon as there is some, the controller (and googles) start switching frequencies and bands. That is where the issue lies: What works for one, may not work for the other - hence they compete. The protocol that governs this is flawed. Moreover I don't see any value in having two systems communicate independently with the drone instead of the controller communicating with the drone and the goggles communicating with the controller. The latter would always work and the former does not have to compete.

Btw: I always record in 4K/24.976 and set the googles to 720p instead of 1080p (HD mode). When set to 720p, the goggles do not affect the recording mode set by the controller. However if set to 1080, the controller stops recording and switches to 1080p all around. Not very desirable. You can override after establishing the goggle connection, but I found with the larger bandwidth requirement, the goggles have much more trouble maintaining the connection at larger distances.

My goggles were heading to China on Monday for repair to fix the terrible range issue.
Given what's sadly happening over there at the moment,and also dealing with Thai customs where I'm based,I decided to have one last try at fixing them,in the hope it was a firmware issue and not something else.
Hopefully my fix is permanent,time will tell.
1. First I refreshed the latest firmware on my m2z ,SC,and RE goggles.
2.I attached the Pagoda Arial.
3. I changed the GPS location to America,and flew in FCC instead of Ce.
I have the fake gps app loaded on my Android phone ,and my SC...bit more fiddling around to get it loaded on SC,but there is a you tube video out there to show you.
The result of doing all this was stock solid flight of 3500 mtr,which could have gone further.
I filmed in 4k,had the goggles set in HD 1080p with gimbal head tracking on.
Picture was solid flying in to the distance over the rice fields.
Fantastic.
I hope this might help a few of you guy (and girls).
Footnote I also got the goggles working with the mini, using the Chromecast dongle with HDMI adaptor,and a small power bank,try that one as well ??

Sadly the fix was only temp..the goggles went back to only working over a very short range.
I sent the Goggles to Synnex in Bangkok,they sent them to Shenzhen.
Pleased and surprised to get them back in less than a month,given having to navigate Thai customs.
Apparently the board was replaced,I gave them a quick test today,and they seem to be now working properly.
I had to kick up a bit of a stink to get them to accept the goggles were faulty,they would not accept that a large % of RE owners had faulty goggles.
If you have the short distance issue,I recommend you arrange to send them back to Dji,and demand the board is replaced.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121