DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

trying out the recent firmware update

old man mavic

Premium Pilot
Reactions
hi fellow flyers ,today i was able to give my Air 3 a flight ,to try out the recent added features,that were in the latest firmware update ,the ability to see a black and white picture of what is around the drone ,using the obstacle avoidance cameras ,is to be perfectly honest with you ,just a for fun gimic, IMHO,it may have some use, if the drone is flying in an auto flight mode ,which would show what it was about to hit ,depending on which way it was flying at the time,but in truth the image is not all that great ,and it is really the OA that should be saving the day,
as far as flying the drone, everything worked as before the update ,and all my flight settings appeared to remain the same when i checked them, disabling the downwards sensors ,is not something i would do personally,unless the flight had a valid reason for doing so, to allow the drone to fly very close to the ground ,and it would in my opinion only be valid ,if i could see the drone close by, to know how close it actually was ,as i do not hand catch ,then it is not an issue, if it rises up if i put my hand underneath it ,and then delays it descent ,before descending,
its really up to individual pilots, how they utilize the new features

hi fellow flyers ,today i was able to give my Air 3 a flight ,to try out the recent added features,that were in the latest firmware update ,the ability to see a black and white picture of what is around the drone ,using the obstacle avoidance cameras ,is to be perfectly honest with you ,just a for fun gimic, IMHO,it may have some use, if the drone is flying in an auto flight mode ,which would show what it was about to hit ,depending on which way it was flying at the time,but in truth the image is not all that great ,and it is really the OA that should be saving the day,
as far as flying the drone, everything worked as before the update ,and all my flight settings appeared to remain the same when i checked them, disabling the downwards sensors ,is not something i would do personally,unless the flight had a valid reason for doing so, to allow the drone to fly very close to the ground ,and it would in my opinion only be valid ,if i could see the drone close by, to know how close it actually was ,as i do not hand catch ,then it is not an issue, if it rises up if i put my hand underneath it ,and then delays it descent ,before descending,
its really up to individual pilots, how they utilize the new features
Only wish I had a 3! Glad it’s all working. Happy New Year.

I also tried the update features a few days ago. I did play some looking at the Obstacle Avoidance cameras and found it "interesting" but of limited value. How would a pilot use that video?

I spent more time with the still photo zooms with both lenses. It's gotta be a digital zoom, doesn't it? I wasn't much pleased with the quality of the shots taken with zoom.

spent more time with the still photo zooms with both lenses. It's gotta be a digital zoom, doesn't it? I wasn't much pleased with the quality of the shots taken with zoom.
Yes, the zoom on both cameras is digital. A real zoom lens would be much heavier and way more expensive, if it were even possible.

How would a pilot use that video?
If you were pulling back back away from something and couldn't see behind you, or if you were flying parallel to something and wanted a better view to avoid hitting poles, elevation change, etc. In those cases if all I'm doing it trying to keep the framing with the main camera I may swap views, so B&W is on the large window.

Reactions: Torque
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas