DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trying to do the right thing

Bmclac11

Reactions
Hello all pleased to meet you all.
I am a fairly new mavic pro user of about a month now. I am 42yo, living in rural remote Australia (lots of farmland and forest but bugger all water).
I have got my head around most of the basic functions and flight modes and am absolutely amazed at what this thing can do and the picture quality in my opinion is superb.
This has led me to seriously consider the legalities of what we can and can't do in regards to flying. As mentioned before I live on the edge of a very small town Surrounded by agriculture farmland and some livestock. I have flown thus far without incident following what laws are set and of course using common sense.
I stay away from people's houses, livestock and below 120m as we do have a little airfield 10mins drive away.
(Forgive the long intro, just wanted to introduce myself)
I just wanted to know if flying over farms providing I stay well away from animals and homes at Max attitude is okay or am I breaking privacy laws?
No one seems to give a rats arse, (we're a pretty easy going bunch) out here but I still just want to do the right thing.
Thank you girls and guys for your time.

Thought I'd put a picture up to give you all a better idea of my surroundings

Attachments

• screen_dc75f4365bd4ad83_1523570062000.jpg
    screen_dc75f4365bd4ad83_1523570062000.jpg
    446.9 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: DieselXL and MurMan
Welcome !

Looks like you have some awesome flying area around you, get the UAV forecast app, this can tell you if there are any no fly zones to watch out for, if there are none then have a ball !

Reactions: Bmclac11
Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

I just wanted to know if flying over farms providing I stay well away from animals and homes at Max attitude is okay or am I breaking privacy laws?
Hi there.
I'm not sure what your regulatations are down under ,but generally speaking I've found that if you fly above 30 meters and keep moving you probably won't make your neighbors angry. What seems to piss people off is hovering above their property. Most people won't notice your drone at 120 meters so have at it.

G'day Bud,
Download CASA's Can I Fly There app.
I would imagine that out there, you have plenty of room to stay away from property??

Casa's rules:

RPA rec rules.jpg

Reactions: turbodronepilot
My pleasure.
Yes some people will think you're spying on them ,but let's hope your neighbors aren't the paronid type.
In the USA you have to watch out for trigger happy drone haters as I learned first hand.. I don't think you have that issue down under.
Enjoy your mavic ..

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Well there is one question. I have updated firmware about three times now and each time it says complete at the end of the download and installed etc. But when I turn the mavic on again it keeps telling me I need to upgrade firmware??
After the third time I gave up and just fly the drone and ignore the constant prompt.
(I use the controller hooked to my phone and mavic turned on, without the props when I update) has anyone else experienced this problem?

Well there is one question. I have updated firmware about three times now and each time it says complete at the end of the download and installed etc. But when I turn the mavic on again it keeps telling me I need to upgrade firmware??
After the third time I gave up and just fly the drone and ignore the constant prompt.
(I use the controller hooked to my phone and mavic turned on, without the props when I update) has anyone else experienced this problem?
just a guess.. make sure you're updating on a wi fi network and if so try logging out and then logging in..
Make sure to turn off your a.c. after the update..
good luck..

Also don't be afraid to call dji support ..They offer free technical support and they are dedicated to helping their customers get the best experience as possible

Thanks Simmo
Yes there's heaps of room to stay away from farmhouses but I still fly over people's farms just at max altitude and basically I've been doing a big loop but maintaining line of sight.
And getting some really good sunset shots for an amateur hehe

Reactions: Simmo
I am a fairly new mavic pro user of about a month now. I am 42yo, living in rural remote Australia (lots of farmland and forest but bugger all water).
I have got my head around most of the basic functions and flight modes and am absolutely amazed at what this thing can do and the picture quality in my opinion is superb.
This has led me to seriously consider the legalities of what we can and can't do in regards to flying. As mentioned before I live on the edge of a very small town Surrounded by agriculture farmland and some livestock. I have flown thus far without incident following what laws are set and of course using common sense.
I stay away from people's houses, livestock and below 120m as we do have a little airfield 10mins drive away.
No one seems to give a rats arse, (we're a pretty easy going bunch) out here but I still just want to do the right thing.
Howdy from Wyoming @Bmclac11 , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Hi Bmclac11

If you talk to your neighbors and have their permission to fly over their property, no problem.

I suggest you download the app called “Can I fly there “from CASA the air safety regulator. This is a free app and while it does not list local council by laws you can at least check for federal restrictions. I was surprised when I went on holidays recently as there was only a small circle for me to fly in. luckily it included an oval. Any airfield with a permanent control tower has a 5km radius no fly zone around it.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Fly safe and have fun!

Unless the animals have cell phones and can call the law I don't see a problem with it

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliassmith02