DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

trying to fly straight.

flyersnut

Reactions
Been flying for a few months and so far LOVE IT! Still get a feeling in the pit of my stomach and weak legs when I take it off, especially over waterfalls, but I assume that will subside eventually.

Anyway, anybody know why the Mavic won't fly straight ahead at all unless I push the joystick slightly to the right or left? If I push the joystick straight it just hovers in place. Once I push it slightly right or left I can push it straight and will fly straight ahead. No big deal if I'm flying it quickly, but if I'm trying to maneuver it while hiking or flying it over a waterfall, it can be pretty scary as it will go left or right first, then straight ahead.To the best of my knowledge I have gone through all the joystick settings according to the instructions. Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Try calibrating the remote controller in DJI GO like this:

Same as myself... i tried to fly inside the building and the mavic just moved slighty by itself...
quite worried about this.... and just tried to calibrating the control..
look forward for your experience

When inside, make sure it is not being affected by the air movement from the Mavic such as being too close to a wall or something, and flying over something like carpet without any "pattern" the optics can tell it is moving. (Does the same thing happen outside where you get good GPS signal?)

th
I do not believe that you can manually turn the GPS off. ATTI mode kicks in automatically on the stock Mavic.
That's interesting as I read somewhere that it should be off and let it fly by the sensors only indoors. I somehow turned mine off and apart from alarms sounding it took of and hovered perfectly. I will try again to repeat this and find the article.

Reactions: bricyn
I have had mine for about a year now and it has always had a slight drift to the left. I am so used to it now that if I fix it I would probably crash it.

As for yours, it might be a simple Compass or IMU calibration. If not don't worry you will auto correct for it eventually.

Try calibrating the remote controller in DJI GO like this:

Hey @msinger, I heard somewhere that when you calibrate compass (not that I have ever calibrated my compass) it's better to be facing north. Do you think that has any truth behind it?

th

That's interesting as I read somewhere that it should be off and let it fly by the sensors only indoors. I somehow turned mine off and apart from alarms sounding it took of and hovered perfectly. I will try again to repeat this and find the article.

You didn't turn it off, it just couldn't get GPS signal, so it defaulted to ATTI.

Been flying for a few months and so far LOVE IT! Still get a feeling in the pit of my stomach and weak legs when I take it off, especially over waterfalls, but I assume that will subside eventually.

Anyway, anybody know why the Mavic won't fly straight ahead at all unless I push the joystick slightly to the right or left? If I push the joystick straight it just hovers in place. Once I push it slightly right or left I can push it straight and will fly straight ahead. No big deal if I'm flying it quickly, but if I'm trying to maneuver it while hiking or flying it over a waterfall, it can be pretty scary as it will go left or right first, then straight ahead.To the best of my knowledge I have gone through all the joystick settings according to the instructions. Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

I feel exactly the same way you do everytime I take off somewhere new or near water! I am also wondering why mine seems to drift.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you but I hadn't had time to recalibrate and try it to see if that fixed the problem but sure enough that was exactly the fix. Recalibrated and it now flies straight just like it's supposed to. Still get weak knees when I fly but hopefully that will pass as I become more experienced. Thanks again for your help, Mike

Reactions: knsaber and msinger
I have the same problem, but IMU nor compass calibration solves the problem… and my drone has never crashed, yet it is fairly new - nov 2017.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143