DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trying to get FAA Recreation Drone Flight approval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I just went to the RC Field, and got the Garmin Coordinates which are:
34*36' 59" N & 112*27'27" W Which will put me in the 50 Max Alt. Grid.
Now I just need to get the Authorization how to Unlock the DJI Fly App.

That "50 max alt grid" doesn't mean you can only fly up 50 ft.

It means that below 50 feet, you can get automated LAANC approvals.

I went poking around in AirMap, and I find that the field in question is one of the FAA "fixed recreational sites."

The field rules are apparently here: Field Rules & Regulations : Casa de Aero

So, you probably just need to get DJI to recognize that field as an unlockable GEO Zone.

Sadly, I've had my Mavic Air 2 only since Father's Day, so I don't know how you go about getting it added.

Last edited:
Well, I just went to the RC Field, and got the Garmin Coordinates which are:
34*36' 59" N & 112*27'27" W Which will put me in the 50 Max Alt. Grid.
Now I just need to get the Authorization how to Unlock the DJI Fly App.
Sorry, I've never had to go thru this procedure, it's very new to me.
Just want to do all proper, where I won't get myself or anyone else in trouble. Just want to have a little demo to our RC Club.
Remember that these are two separate things:
  • You must be allowed to fly there under FAA regulations. The 50 foot grid does not mean that you are automatically allowed to fly there up to 50 feet. You must still get clearance to fly to a specified maximum altitude on a given data and time through LAANC. This makes you legal, which is of course the most important thing.
  • If the zone is locked in the DJI app then you must unlock it in order to allow the drone to physically fly there. This is completely independent of the FAA authorization. If Self Unlock is available in that area then it is s simple procedure of just providing your information and following the steps to unlock. If it is a more restrictive zone that requires custom unlocking then you need to provide documentation to DJI that you have authorization to fly there. The instructions and steps are all on the DJI Unlock Site

Make sure that you do BOTH of these well in advance. That way you are not caught at the last minute and not able to fly.

Thanks Guys...will be trying to get authorization to fly at our CDA/EARU field tomorrow. Will use AirMap and see where it gets me with authorizations. I did get clearance at my home site, which is at the border, and don't need authorization, but wanted to see if PRC Airport would give me authorization to fly at my home...THEY DID, TWICE AT DIFFERENT TIMES! So this is a Start! EVERY DAY IS A SCHOOL DAY, AND I'M STILL LEARNING AT 80.

It is beneficial to keep all messages on one topic in the same post.
FROM POST OPENED BY @MavicJer IN A NEW THREAD....
Still trying all I can to Legally & Safely fly at our Grid 50 ft. Drone Height Limit at our Casa de Aero RC Field shared with Embry Riddle University Prescott, AZ, WITH NO JOY!
Just found out why. I get the Earnest Love Field Authorization Code, etc. at our Field, but just found out that DJI Fly App for the Mavic Air 2 is still restricted by DJI Software Safety Locks. DJI has approved Unlocking capabilities for many of the other of their Drones, but not for the MA2.
That's probably why in that Zone, NO JOY AT UNLOCKING TO FLY EVEN UP TO 50 FT. NO PROP STARTUP OR ANYTHING!
I get the approval to fly thru AirMap, FAA, LAANC, PRC, but not able to imput the sent approval Code into the DJI Fly APP.

OH Well at this time. Hope DJI will correct this for us Legal, Safe AMA Model Pilots in the near future!!!
If anyone has any comments or information on this Post, I sure would appreciate it. It sure is good having a Site like Mavic Pilots to help us Newbies!

RESPONSE...
You say DJI has not enabled unlock for the MA2. I do not have one but I believe the unlock capability was added to the Fly app back in january, so it should be there for you unless you are running a very old version. Someone with a MA2 could confirm this.

Please see Post #23 above. There is no code that you need to give to DJI. This is an authorization zone, which means a Self Unlock is all you need. Follow the link in post 23 to the DJI site where you can unlock in advance. You could also unlock instantly on-site as long as you have data connectivity on your mobile device where the DJI Fly app is running.

The graphic below is directly from the DJI authorization database. Note that Embry Riddle is indeed in an Authorization Zone, and that Unlock IS AVAILABLE !

1593713221207.png

AirMap now supports the ability to connect your DJI drone to the mobile applications, view the drone's interface and the regulatory advisories in your flight area at the same time, review Flight Plans and automatically submit them by starting the drone's rotors.

mceclip0.png

The AirMap for Drones with DJI SDK is compatible with the following DJI drone models:

DJI Inspire 2

DJI Inspire

DJI Mavic Pro

DJI Phantom 4 Pro

DJI Phantom 4

DJI Mavic 2 Pro

DJI Mavic 2 Zoom

This is why I posted (unintentionally to another Thread - "Every Day is a School Day"- Sorry)
The above is why I believed that DJI Fly App for the MA2 is not allowing me to Power Up my MA2 at our CDA/ERAU Field. Guess I have to keep trying as explained by two gents answers to my other Tread. As an Ex-Elec. Engineer, I don't like Giving UP!
Thanks again for you'se all Helping.

z28lt1

JoinedApr 15, 2018Messages296Reaction score310
Jun 15, 2020
As noted from the DJI forum, new firmware out.

V01.00.0250
The Above Firmware Update, I immediately updated my MA2 system to the Latest Update. I just have not found the method of unlocking my MA2 system at our CDA/ERAU RC Field. Will keep trying, and Post for Info when Succeed.

z28lt1

JoinedApr 15, 2018Messages296Reaction score310
Jun 15, 2020
As noted from the DJI forum, new firmware out.

V01.00.0250
The Above Firmware Update, I immediately updated my MA2 system to the Latest Update. I just have not found the method of unlocking my MA2 system at our CDA/ERAU RC Field. Will keep trying, and Post for Info when Succeed.

Just try to start your motors there with DJI Fly (I use the stick command where you push both sticks down and inward), and you should get a pop-up on your screen letting you check a box to self-unlock (as long as your phone/tablet has internet connectivity).

Just want to have a little demo to our RC Club.

Hey, I'm looking at that RC field now in Airmap and notice the following note: "To fly on AMA fields, you must be an AMA member or have permission from the AMA." (Academy of Model Aeronautics)
Could that be hanging you up? How would you prove you have permission? Maybe others will know more than I...

Can anyone help me with guidance on this matter? I surely want to do the right things.
Calling on instructor and fellow forum member @pilotinstitute to perhaps clarify things for the OP, with respect to the Prescott airspace. Any thoughts, Greg?

Calling on instructor and fellow forum member @pilotinstitute to perhaps clarify things for the OP, with respect to the Prescott airspace. Any thoughts, Greg?
It has already been clarified in many posts what needs to be done. The DJI unlock procedure needs to be accomplished.

Believe this thread is over.
CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan