DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trying to get FAA Recreation Drone Flight approval

Status
Not open for further replies.

MavicJer

Reactions
I've sent in two requests for Recreational Drone Flight approval for my Mavic Air 2 to FAADroneZone Recreational Flyer Dashboard, to Demo Fly my Drone at our RC Field that is in Connection with Embry Riddle University here in Prescott, AZ. I sent the first one in for 1 day on June 20, and one on June 24 for 1 day, to demo the Mavic at our RC Club. Have had no response to date, other than SUBMITTED.
I just wonder if FAA will approve it or not. At the University location, it is within the Zone of PRC Prescott Airport, and I don't know if I could ever get the Clearance to fly even at max 100 ft altitude. The University do fly their Drones at our shared RC Field, as well as have all the Clearances to Fly.
Can anyone help me with guidance on this matter? I surely want to do the right things.

I've sent in two requests for Recreational Drone Flight approval for my Mavic Air 2 to FAADroneZone Recreational Flyer Dashboard, to Demo Fly my Drone at our RC Field that is in Connection with Embry Riddle University here in Prescott, AZ. I sent the first one in for 1 day on June 20, and one on June 24 for 1 day, to demo the Mavic at our RC Club. Have had no response to date, other than SUBMITTED.
I just wonder if FAA will approve it or not. At the University location, it is within the Zone of PRC Prescott Airport, and I don't know if I could ever get the Clearance to fly even at max 100 ft altitude. The University do fly their Drones at our shared RC Field, as well as have all the Clearances to Fly.
Can anyone help me with guidance on this matter? I surely want to do the right things.
When asking for questions regarding controlled airspace it is always very helpful if you would pinpoint the EXACT location where you are looking to fly.
You mentioned Embry Riddle, Prescott Airport, and a RC field. So that is a lot of space to cover. Are you flying on the grounds of Embry Riddle? Are you flying at the airport? Is the RC field, the one called Prescott Valley Silent Flyers?
Without an exact location, it's guesswork.

Reactions: dawgpilot
When asking for questions regarding controlled airspace it is always very helpful if you would pinpoint the EXACT location where you are looking to fly.
You mentioned Embry Riddle, Prescott Airport, and a RC field. So that is a lot of space to cover. Are you flying on the grounds of Embry Riddle? Are you flying at the airport? Is the RC field, the one called Prescott Valley Silent Flyers?
Without an exact location, it's guesswork.
Thank you PhantomFandom for your quick response. My desire is to Only Fly at the Embry Riddle Univ. RC Field that we also in our Casa de Aero RC Club share with the University. The unfortunate for our Club, is that it is within the LANNC zone of the PRC Prescott Ernest A. Love Airport. The problem right now, is that with my new Mavic Air 2 Drone, DJI has put in all of the STOPS when there is an Airport, etc. within 3-4miles from where one desires to fly the new DJI Drones.
Sure wish I could fly at our Field at ERU with my Club Buddies, and ofcource stay within all of the regulations in flying a Drone. We are MORE THAN AWARE of airplanes flying 400ft or higher close to us. Someone is always watching, as well as these new Drones from DJI have all kinds of ADVISORY WARNINGS, ETC.
Just need some advice, as to how I can get legal authorization for this area, only. Anywhere else I go and will fly my Mavic, I'll make sure I find an area, where I don't have these issues.
Thank you for your help.

Thank you PhantomFandom for your quick response. My desire is to Only Fly at the Embry Riddle Univ. RC Field that we also in our Casa de Aero RC Club share with the University. The unfortunate for our Club, is that it is within the LANNC zone of the PRC Prescott Ernest A. Love Airport. The problem right now, is that with my new Mavic Air 2 Drone, DJI has put in all of the STOPS when there is an Airport, etc. within 3-4miles from where one desires to fly the new DJI Drones.
Sure wish I could fly at our Field at ERU with my Club Buddies, and ofcource stay within all of the regulations in flying a Drone. We are MORE THAN AWARE of airplanes flying 400ft or higher close to us. Someone is always watching, as well as these new Drones from DJI have all kinds of ADVISORY WARNINGS, ETC.
Just need some advice, as to how I can get legal authorization for this area, only. Anywhere else I go and will fly my Mavic, I'll make sure I find an area, where I don't have these issues.
Thank you for your help.

You still didn't reply with the exact location. Do you have a street address or coordinates for the area you wish to fly at?

Reactions: PhantomFandom
Thank you for your help.

As a Newbe, I'm learning the sequence to receive or answer to a reply. Pls excuse me if I replied in the wrong order as above to PhantomFandom. MavicJer

Yes I do...Latitude 31deg19min57.736sec N Longitude 85deg 42min 34.262sec W

I tried looking it up, and those coordinates appear to be for Embry Riddle @ Fort Rucker, Alabama, not in Arizona. Did you make a mistake?

I tried looking it up, and those coordinates appear to be for Embry Riddle @ Fort Rucker, Alabama, not in Arizona. Did you make a mistake?
Is this an OOPPS? I put in the Embry Riddle UNIV. name & requested the Coordinates. Sorry for the mistake. Guess I have to actually go there to our Field, and take my Garmin, and read the Coordinates. Will keep trying before then to get the right Coordinates. Thanks for the OOPPS on my part and wasting some of your time.

I just put in to Embry Riddle's WebSite, which they have a Map of their Campus, and aproximately our field is as such: 34.615683 & -112.452145 Sorry they don't use degrees, minutes & seconds & direction.
I can fly my Mavic Air 2 where I live : 34.599187 & -112.493957 Only get a Use Caution Warning, and also when a Plane is approaching my area when at home.
At the University, I can't fly, cause the Drone is Locked thru the DJI Fly App.
Sure thank you again for your help.
I will try applying again thru FAADroneZone Recreational Flyer Dashboard.

Just went to see if I could find a Converter, and did so...Lat is 34deg,36min,56.4582 &
Lon is -112deg, 26min, 31.7178 There was nothing about N or S or E or W

So from those coordinates we can finally see where you want to fly, and therein lies the problem. Not only are you close to the airport, but you are also in an almost direct line with runway 3/21. So depending on where precisely that flying field is in the grid, you may or may not be able to get authorization there at all. Here is the location:

1593171002220.png

If the field is in one of the top two grids, you will most likely not get any authorization to fly. If you are in the 50 foot grid then you should be able to get authorization to fly with a max altitude of 50 feet and likewise up to 150 feet in the other grid square. Based on your coordinates, it seems you are in the 50 foot grid.

That is a LAANC enabled area so there is no need to apply through DroneZone as you did. You can simply apply using LAANC for authorization to fly up to 50 feet MAXIMUM. You can do this prior to each flight. The process is quick and painless. That is the FAA process so that you are legal. You still need to unlock the zone with DJI so that the drone will let you launch there.

In any case, be VERY CAREFUL not to exceed 50 feet and not to drift into one of the adjacent grid squares, especially the 0 foot grids.

Reactions: Mavic Mac
So from those coordinates we can finally see where you want to fly, and therein lies the problem. Not only are you close to the airport, but you are also in an almost direct line with runway 3/21. So depending on where precisely that flying field is in the grid, you may or may not be able to get authorization there at all. Here is the location:

View attachment 105899

If the field is in one of the top two grids, you will most likely not get any authorization to fly. If you are in the 50 foot grid then you should be able to get authorization to fly with a max altitude of 50 feet and likewise up to 150 feet in the other grid square. Based on your coordinates, it seems you are in the 50 foot grid.

That is a LAANC enabled area so there is no need to apply through DroneZone as you did. You can simply apply using LAANC for authorization to fly up to 50 feet MAXIMUM. You can do this prior to each flight. The process is quick and painless. That is the FAA process so that you are legal. You still need to unlock the zone with DJI so that the drone will let you launch there.

In any case, be VERY CAREFUL not to exceed 50 feet and not to drift into one of the adjacent grid squares, especially the 0 foot grids.
This REALY HELPS ME, AND CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH. WILL PRECISELY CHECK THE COORDINATES AT OUR FIELD WITH MY GARMIN, AND REPORT THAT BACK ON THIS THREAD. DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THE GRIDS AND ALTITUDE LIMITATIONS IN THEM. IF I'LL BE IN THE 50 GRID, WHICH IT LOOKS LIKE I'LL BE, THEN I'LL TRY AGAIN TO GET A LAANC CODE SENT TO ME TO PUT INTO THE DJI FLY APP UNLOCK PAGE. WILL LET YOU ALL KNOW.
THANKS AGAIN.

This REALY HELPS ME, AND CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH. WILL PRECISELY CHECK THE COORDINATES AT OUR FIELD WITH MY GARMIN, AND REPORT THAT BACK ON THIS THREAD. DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THE GRIDS AND ALTITUDE LIMITATIONS IN THEM. IF I'LL BE IN THE 50 GRID, WHICH IT LOOKS LIKE I'LL BE, THEN I'LL TRY AGAIN TO GET A LAANC CODE SENT TO ME TO PUT INTO THE DJI FLY APP UNLOCK PAGE. WILL LET YOU ALL KNOW.
THANKS AGAIN.

LAANC is just about getting legal authorization to fly there. The LAANC code isn't used by DJI Fly, you have to separately unlock using DJI's method once you have legal permission.

Reactions: PhantomFandom

View attachment 105899

I thought I read somewhere that recreational users weren't allowed to make LAANCE requests, and it required Part 107?

I thought I read somewhere that recreational users weren't allowed to make LAANCE requests, and it required Part 107?
That is incorrect. LAANC is now available for both recreational and commercial pilots.

LAANC has been available to recreational flyers through AirMap since 2019.

View attachment 105899

Well, I just went to the RC Field, and got the Garmin Coordinates which are:
34*36' 59" N & 112*27'27" W Which will put me in the 50 Max Alt. Grid.
Now I just need to get the Authorization how to Unlock the DJI Fly App.
Sorry, I've never had to go thru this procedure, it's very new to me.
Just want to do all proper, where I won't get myself or anyone else in trouble. Just want to have a little demo to our RC Club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78