DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trying to get my mavic Air 2 off the ground!

JDerrick

Reactions
Could someone tell me the steps to take, to get your drone off the ground, in controlled g airspace please? You don't have to go into great detail. Just trying to figure out why my drone will not lift off.
I am wondering if the app knows that I got authorization to fly or not.
Btw I am using the rainbow for DJI mavic Air 2 app. temporarily, until my new phone is delivered tomorrow.
If it cannot find this out on my phone by itself. What must I do?
I spent a good part of Sunday trying to get my drone to leave the ground. Then I realized I had got authorization for Saturday and not for Sunday. Also found many stickers I overlooked. I don't think I missed any more of them.
I'm wondering if not getting authorization is the reason my drone will not take off.
What will the DJI fly app make me do to get off the ground please? Thanks.

Last edited:
Try this link
You can also search for "DJI NFZ self unlocking" on youtube.

Try this link
You can also search for "DJI NFZ self unlocking" on youtube.
Thank you. I watched part of this video from another post on here. I did not have time to finish it though. As soon as I can download the DJI fly app and use it, I will try it.
I thought I would have to hook my drone up to my laptop, and then my controller. It's making a little more sense now.

Reactions: Smooth Rhythm
I currently flying in an Authorization zone near Cherry Point, in Havelock, NC. You just have to utilize Fly Safe. All they require is simple info about you, and your aircraft, and a simple sms code to verify your identity. It works on real time and gave me authorization, for several days of flying, instantly.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210913-054729.jpg
    Screenshot_20210913-054729.jpg
    571.4 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: JDerrick
Thanks for posting, and thanks guys for sharing those great informational videos! ??

Could someone tell me the steps to take, to get your drone off the ground, in controlled g airspace please? You don't have to go into great detail. Just trying to figure out why my drone will not lift off.
I am wondering if the app knows that I got authorization to fly or not.
Btw I am using the rainbow for DJI mavic Air 2 app. temporarily, until my new phone is delivered tomorrow.
If it cannot find this out on my phone by itself. What must I do?
I spent a good part of Sunday trying to get my drone to leave the ground. Then I realized I had got authorization for Saturday and not for Sunday. Also found many stickers I overlooked. I don't think I missed any more of them.
I'm wondering if not getting authorization is the reason my drone will not take off.
What will the DJI fly app make me do to get off the ground please? Thanks.
Are you logged into your DJI Account? That is most crucial when flying in controlled airspace with "authorization." Otherwise DJI won't know you are authorized and the drone will be locked out. Many of us log into our account and never log out - saves A LOT of hassles for sure.

I currently flying in an Authorization zone near Cherry Point, in Havelock, NC. You just have to utilize Fly Safe. All they require is simple info about you, and your aircraft, and a simple sms code to verify your identity. It works on real time and gave me authorization, for several days of flying, instantly.
If you are not logged into your DJI Account with the authorization - the drone will not fly in that space. That is a DJI feature built in. Fly Safe doubtfully unlocks the drone - just getting you permission to fly. Like many of us - we log into our DJI Account and never log out - so that when we do fly in restricted space and get a code - it will unlock the drone via DJI.

Thanks for the helpful responses. I've been rather impatient wanting to fly my drone. I'd be willing to bet that if people, who were about to buy a drone, new all this beforehand, they would skip buying one entirely.??
I'm in it for the long haul so not giving up now!

• Wow
Reactions: tlswift58
Thanks for the helpful responses. I've been rather impatient wanting to fly my drone. I'd be willing to bet that if people, who were about to buy a drone, new all this beforehand, they would skip buying one entirely.??
I'm in it for the long haul so not giving up now!
Why? Most people do not fly in controlled airspace, as far too many options to not fly in them.

Us "older" folks don't learn like the younger ones do and they grew up playing video games and such - unlike most of us in the older crowd.

Any new activity requires learning the ropes and droning is no different. Simply going to YouTube is a great resource and watching videos for beginners. Most of them are very good on explaining beginning flying to help you / me understand the basics to get the drone off the ground and flying - preferably without crashing it.

I took a different track before buying a drone - actually took a course on Part 107 / Commercial Drone Pilot training. A very intensive 2 day class that covered a lot of what any drone pilot - rec or commercial needs to know to properly / legally fly. On Day 2 -we took several drones out and flew them under instructor supervision. Most of us were lousy at flying the course set up - simply because we were beginners.

Sadly, many in the say over 35 crowd (and some in younger one) think you can simply buy a drone, take it out of the box, and in 5 minutes the drone is off and flying. Not gonna happen in drone flying or anything that takes learning the basics (like driving a car and all the rules a person needs to get a drivers license). Even the most basic and good videos (there are some bad ones too) on YouTube get you ready to fly - while waiting for that cool drone to arrive from UPS / FedEx. Also getting a couple of apps like Aloft, B4UFly, or UAVForecast are needed to know if you will be flying in restricted airspace before trying to fly there.

The one main gotcha that got you (and many others) - being logged into your DJI Account at all times is not intuitive or really mentioned anywhere to make sure you can unlock the drone via DJI to fly. That's where this forum of great pilots is such a resource.

Finally got my drone off the ground for a quick test flight! Now I must mark it with the registration number.
Took around 45 minutes for the firmware update. On the fly app, I'm not inside a geofence, although aloft shows that I live in restricted g airspace. So found out I don't have to mess with that now. Have no idea why it would not fly with just the bare controller, like a couple of YouTube videos showed. It may have just needed the firmware update. Still find it rather odd that it would not take off without DJI Fly running. It may now. I may try it again just to find out
I will continue to get FAA authorization, through laanc and Aloft, to cover my hiny. Just in case something unforeseen were to happen.

Why? Most people do not fly in controlled airspace, as far too many options to not fly in them.

Us "older" folks don't learn like the younger ones do and they grew up playing video games and such - unlike most of us in the older crowd.

Any new activity requires learning the ropes and droning is no different. Simply going to YouTube is a great resource and watching videos for beginners. Most of them are very good on explaining beginning flying to help you / me understand the basics to get the drone off the ground and flying - preferably without crashing it.

I took a different track before buying a drone - actually took a course on Part 107 / Commercial Drone Pilot training. A very intensive 2 day class that covered a lot of what any drone pilot - rec or commercial needs to know to properly / legally fly. On Day 2 -we took several drones out and flew them under instructor supervision. Most of us were lousy at flying the course set up - simply because we were beginners.

Sadly, many in the say over 35 crowd (and some in younger one) think you can simply buy a drone, take it out of the box, and in 5 minutes the drone is off and flying. Not gonna happen in drone flying or anything that takes learning the basics (like driving a car and all the rules a person needs to get a drivers license). Even the most basic and good videos (there are some bad ones too) on YouTube get you ready to fly - while waiting for that cool drone to arrive from UPS / FedEx. Also getting a couple of apps like Aloft, B4UFly, or UAVForecast are needed to know if you will be flying in restricted airspace before trying to fly there.

The one main gotcha that got you (and many others) - being logged into your DJI Account at all times is not intuitive or really mentioned anywhere to make sure you can unlock the drone via DJI to fly. That's where this forum of great pilots is such a resource.
I'm with you completely. I taught myself how to ride a motorcycle with YouTube. Then I bought 2 and am still learning after 2 years.
Being 4 years younger than you, I have to work with many young people. Some people our age are quite patient. Many our age, and even more young people, do not want to commit enough time to learn all the myriad idiosyncrasies of learning a new hobby, such as this.
Some of the YouTube videos are severely lacking in valuable information. No one mentioned needing a specific phone to run the app. I thought I was going to have to spend $600 to $1,000 on a new phone. Until I ran across the compatible phone list that the dji fly app would work on. I think that was a good accident for me to find it.
Being a little impatient to know if my drone was good is not uncalled for. I just wanted to know if it could have gotten damaged in transit to me.
As I said elsewhere. I am in this for the long haul! I still have much to learn. Now that I know my drone is good, I will have fun learning the ropes.
I may make a master list of everything you need to get started in drone flight. Unless I can find one on this site. From needing the right phone to the various apps you'll need. I'm sure it would lessen the frustration I experienced a bit.
Thanks for the advice!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000