DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Two DJI Controllers - Slight Differences

MathAddict

Reactions
I purchased my Mavic Air 2 two months ago. It came with the controller on the top.

The controller on the bottom was purchased new on eBay. It connects and controls the MA2 fine, but I just noticed the RTH button is labeled differently and the switch is labeled differently.

I suspect the one with the “Tripod” label is newer since that’s how the new manual refers to it. Any idea if there are internal differences?

Best?

Jim
c6bc819c274fc51bb5853c3e05c1da02.jpg

The one on top is the same as I got with the MA2 but I think it is the older one, they have changed the "Tripod" mode to "Cinesmooth" mode like the one on the bottom says. And I believe both will run the MA2 and Mini2, when I turn mine on it has me select which of those two drones I have. And the RTH button has the "pause" icon on it now is all I think.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Just as a matter of interest do they have the same model number?

While not related to this thread, but provoked by it, one has to wonder what underlying features/code the MA2 and Mini 2 share? I guess I'm asking in a round-about way, how much of the Mini 2 is a dumbed down version of the MA2?

It’s not called Tripod mode any longer, it’s now Cine.... something (can’t remember the rest). Changed with the latest MA2 FW update

It’s not called Tripod mode any longer, it’s now Cine.... something (can’t remember the rest). Changed with the latest MA2 FW update
They probably changed it to differentiate between the Mavic 2 which has a Tripod Mode where the maximum speed is about 2mph-5mph, where on the Mini 2 max speed is about 13mph in "Cine" mode with very sensitive controls that can get it fast with little stick movement. Very difficult to control in tight spaces needling light sensitive touch. Cine Mode on MA2 is noted around 10mph.

If I can go off the reservation a bit here, I'm not sure what DJI is thinking with a 10-13mph Cine mode. The 2mph Tripod mode on the M2 is much more useful as it provides much more precise control at low speed. As there is little difference in the control aspect between N and C modes on the Mini 2 and MA2 one must worry about the drone jerking away from you if you get just a little too heavy on the sticks. I'm not the only one who feels that way. I've been practicing with my Mini 2 indoors and there is almost zero room between engaging a response from the drone and it going to fast without any room for ramping up or down. It's more of a beginner mode than a useful filming tool IMO.

DJI Forum Cine Mode too fast

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78