DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Two questions: uncommanded gradual climb/relative position drone to RC

B737

Reactions
Has anyone else experienced either of these two peculiarities, both are new as in didnt happen before.

just FYI I am running the latest app and firmware in all cases.
I have recalibrated the compass and imu several times and the RC controller once and both things continue to happen.

first: when I fly straight out in P and/or S speeds using high or max joystick inputs, the drone gradually rises in altitude by 10-15 feet even though the surface/field is flat so the terrain is not changing elevation. In fact visually see it climbing. And I don’t even have my hand on the left joystick (standard mode 2). WHY?

second: as of yesterday the relative position and orientation of the drone is depicted incorrectly. So that icon in the bottom middle of the screen for example shows the drone is behind me when it’s not. Getting 14-18 GPS signals and as I said I tried recalibrating things several times.WHY?

Does anyone else have either of these?

first: when I fly straight out in P and/or S speeds using high or max joystick inputs, the drone gradually rises in altitude by 10-15 feet even though the surface/field is flat so the terrain is not changing elevation. In fact visually see it climbing. And I don’t even have my hand on the left joystick (standard mode 2). WHY?
Can be sensor error or bad stick module. If you can post the flight log, more insights can be obtained.

second: as of yesterday the relative position and orientation of the drone is depicted incorrectly. So that icon in the bottom middle of the screen for example shows the drone is behind me when it’s not. Getting 14-18 GPS signals and as I said I tried recalibrating things several times.WHY?

The phone's compass need be calibrated.

Reactions: B737 and FlyoverDRN
The Mini is not the best at maintaining stable altitude.
Uncommanded climbing and descents have been seen frequently.
the relative position and orientation of the drone is depicted incorrectly. So that icon in the bottom middle of the screen for example shows the drone is behind me when it’s not. Getting 14-18 GPS signals and as I said I tried recalibrating things several times.WHY?
The compass sensor in your phone or tablet is being deflected by the magnetic components in your controller.
That leaves the phone or tablet not properly indicating the direction that it's facing.

Reactions: B737
Can be sensor error or bad stick module. If you can post the flight log, more insights can be obtained.

The phone's compass need be calibrated.
The flight log I’ll try in a couple of days (am new to this but know what you mean)
And the phone compass...now why didn’t I think of that? Thx. I’ll give it a try.

The Mini is not the best at maintaining stable altitude.
Uncommanded climbing and descents have been seen frequently.

The compass sensor in your phone or tablet is being deflected by the magnetic components in your controller.
That leaves the phone or tablet not properly indicating the direction that it's facing.
Re. the altitude change, it didn’t seem to happen before and I store the drone in such a way the props don’t get distorted. I’ll try getting the flight log uploaded. And concerning the compass, yes that makes sense. Someone else said the same thing. Thx

About the compass there is nothing wrong with the drone, but those metal hinges of the controller, which keep the phone, are disturbing the phone compass on some models of phones, after i changed my phone, the drone position is showed correctly without any calibration before. Make a test with the phone mounted on the controller, open a compass application and test if you pull out the phone from the support, if the compass position changes

About the compass there is nothing wrong with the drone, but those metal hinges of the controller, which keep the phone, are disturbing the phone compass on some models of phones, after i changed my phone, the drone position is showed correctly without any calibration before. Make a test with the phone mounted on the controller, open a compass application and test if you pull out the phone from the support, if the compass position changes
Yup that makes sense. I actually have 3 iPhones so I’ll try interchanging them first and that should confirm the theory plus I’ll try doing what you suggest thanks.

Might want to try a sticks calibration to stop the ascent without touching it. Left stick might not be returning to center.

Might want to try a sticks calibration to stop the ascent without touching it. Left stick might not be returning to center.
Hi yes I did try calibrating the stick. I have yet to fly it after having done that procedure, my fibre optic internet connection got severed until just now and my priorities changed. I shall try to see if that had an effect. IF it did I’ll let you know. But I did think of that. I don’t like problems but if I have technical issues it’s “fun” methodically trouble shooting. I’m generally good at that, but still new with drones.?

Reactions: Capt KO
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rejdmast