DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

U.S. Forest Service trying to be F.A.A.

Link not working but here is some of it:
Professionals in the drone business are asking the U.S. Forest Service to reconsider proposed limits on use of the devices in places such as on roads, trails and at trail summits in the Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre and Gunnison national forests.
The Forest Service recently released a draft management plan for the jointly managed forests that covers issues such as logging, grazing, wildlife habitat and recreation. It includes language that would prohibit use of unmanned aircraft in places such as developed campgrounds, parking lots, day-use areas and boat launches, and on forest-wide roads and trails and at trail summits. Some other areas also would be covered in the prohibition, and drone use already is prohibited in areas such as designated wilderness.

I think its a few bad apples that are ruining it for those who follow rules forcing the U.S. Forest Service to make some changes. Its a good thing they have reached out to drone advocates to set up a meeting to see what can be done to make everyone happy.

We should hear from the Forest Service this week about the rule proposal. The person we're dealing with should have all the email addresses to have the meeting today.

I'll keep everyone updated.

Sounds like Vic Moss has it under control.
A number of us are working together on this. The USFS is being very open to discussion. Very happy about that.

I think its a few bad apples that are ruining it for those who follow rules forcing the U.S. Forest Service to make some changes. Its a good thing they have reached out to drone advocates to set up a meeting to see what can be done to make everyone happy.
Is it not always the case?

While the "restriction" is mainly in CO - we know if they do it there, they can / will try to enforce it elsewhere. Most of Western NC is National Forests and if they curb flying here - we'll lose way too much.

Around where I live, the FS has done a HORRIBLE job in keeping up trails, waterfalls, and viewing areas by not managing the overgrowth / etc. Several highly traffic'd falls are quickly becoming almost unviewable and photo ops getting less and less unless they are droned. This isn't just since Covid either - which they use to an extreme as an excuse. It's National Forest people - not NYC, Chicago, SF, LA, or some other highly populated city.

We already have "wilderness" areas marked out that take-off / landing is already restricted.

Reactions: AMRE2ME2
National Forests:
Motorcycles
Camping parties.
Loud music
Bonfires
70' camping setup / equipment
generators
boats w speakers
But not my 8 ounce drone?

Drones are not generally prohibited on National Forest lands, except in wilderness areas, where all mechanized equipment is prohibited. The National Parks' primary purpose is to preserve a piece of the natural world. For example, I live near Grand Canyon National Park, which is one of the quietest places on earth. For that reason as well as safely, airplane and helicopter overflights are strictly regulated by the FAA working with the Park service. Half the park is off-limits to all aircraft, and everyone has minimum altitudes at which they can fly. Commerical tour pilots must have specific training and an FAA check ride before they can fly the designated air tour routes. And there's a curfew on air tours so that people on the ground (tourists on the rim, hikers, and river runners) can enjoy quiet sunrises and sunsets. The last thing they want is a drone buzzing around them.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Thank you for your comments Canyonphoto. Grand Canyon is a wonderful place. I have take myself there for photos many times clear back to my old Canon F1 days. Even the train coming and going, the helicopters, the parking lots and donkeys show different ways of enjoying that space on earth.
So maybe a "Drone Zone" would be acceptable to those that wish to enjoy and photograph the light there it in a new and exciting way. 1 sunrise per week? 1 full day per month? North rim this weekend. South rim the next? A acceptable minimal amount. Just as are bicycles, mountain bikes, off road RV equipment and other rapid movement methods are very allowed at other parks on other times. Just because I dislike noises lectured tour crowds, helicopters and train whistle doesn't mean they should be banned.

I don't think it is as dire as you say in the Forests...at least this one
Most USFS non-wilderness land has no restrictions on drones. It's only popular areas where drones have led to complaints that they are considering as "no drone zones". It is rather inconsistent given the arguably equally antisocial activities mentioned in this thread, but those other activities have somehow become accepted over time, while drones are new and scary.

Also, the Forest Service would have to work with the FAA- the Forest Service and other land management agencies control the surface while the FAA controls the airspace. So the Forest Service can't prohibit drone flight in Wilderness Areas, only takeoffs and landings. A moot point because a drone taking off from outside a Wilderness Area can't fly very far into it.

Reactions: AMRE2ME2
Also, the Forest Service would have to work with the FAA- the Forest Service and other land management agencies control the surface while the FAA controls the airspace. So the Forest Service can't prohibit drone flight in Wilderness Areas, only takeoffs and landings. A moot point because a drone taking off from outside a Wilderness Area can't fly very far into it.
This proposal only covers takeoff, landing and control - it's not about airspace.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4