DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UAS Recertification Test

troy64

Reactions
Anyone taken the recert test? Just curious about the content and where to focus my study.

Anyone taken the recert test? Just curious about the content and where to focus my study.

According to Jason Schappert from Remote Pilot 101 there are no questions on the recurrent exam about weather or weight and balance (fixed wing) but lots on charts, in particular sectional charts and airspace as well as FAA regulations.

I took the 107 recurrent test in late August.

The vast majority of the questions dealt with airspace and sectionals.

Tip: on the chart work a plotter won’t help, as the sectional excerpts are reduced size. Make a ruler for statute (or nautical miles, whichever is required) using the blank paper they provide...as the bottom of the chart has both scales.

Remember the chart legend is your friend.

Also...know how to read operational hours, frequencies, etc. in the Chart Supplements.

Reactions: troy64 and Gindra
Finished test yesterday. Just as you all described. Passed with an 80. Thanks for the responses.

That's great, Troy, congrats.

I found the re-cert test easier and quicker to take than the original. FAA reports low numbers of re-cert test takers which is a worry. Although the ID card has no expiration date, it will be worthless if the expired Remote Pilot has a mishap.

I keep hoping FAA will switch to an online test.

Reactions: troy64
That's great, Troy, congrats.

I found the re-cert test easier and quicker to take than the original. FAA reports low numbers of re-cert test takers which is a worry. Although the ID card has no expiration date, it will be worthless if the expired Remote Pilot has a mishap.

Thank you. I find it odd that the card is not renewed. Seems like a money saver for FAA and maybe a job the test facilities don't want. O

That seems to be the FAA's plan: the FAA issued a notice of proposed rulemaking (NPRM) earlier this year where they suggested they are looking into switching to an online "training" module for Part 107 "renewals" instead of requiring pilots to take the ~$150 test at a testing center. It's still pending though, so they haven't finalized the change yet.

Thank you. I find it odd that the card is not renewed. Seems like a money saver for FAA and maybe a job the test facilities don't want. O

This is keeping in line with the standard for other pilot certificates...for years (ok, decades) I’ve had my Part 61 certificate with ratings and it shows the issue date; regs require you carry proof of recurrency in the form of logbook endorsements.

Just make a copy of your test results and keep it in the drone case...it must be with you whenever you are exercising the privileges granted by the certificate.

Just make a copy of your test results and keep it in the drone case...it must be with you whenever you are exercising the privileges granted by the certificate.

There's no legal requirement to physically carry your proof of currency with you while operating under Part 107. (just like with Part 61, you don't have to actually fly with your pilot logbooks showing your currency, BFR status, etc.) What you must be able to do is present that proof in a reasonable time-frame to an FAA inspector upon request.

There's no legal requirement to physically carry your proof of currency with you while operating under Part 107. (just like with Part 61, you don't have to actually fly with your pilot logbooks showing your currency, BFR status, etc.) What you must be able to do is present that proof in a reasonable time-frame to an FAA inspector upon request.

I respectfully disagree; the pilot certificate and any other necessary documentation like proof of currency and aircraft registration must be presented on demand to an authorized FAA representative or law-enforcement.

From the FAA website regarding recurrency for Part 107 pilots:

Renewing Your Certificate
It's important for all pilots, including Certified Remote Pilots, to stay current and keep their knowledge up to date. That's why the FAA requires you to renew your Remote Pilot Certificate every 2 years. Learn how to renew your certificate.
You must take a recurrent knowledge test at a Knowledge Testing Center within 24 calendar months of passing the intial knowledge test.
After passing the recurrent knowledge test, you must be able to show a copy of your recurrent knowledge test report if asked.
Part 61 pilot certificate holders with a current flight review (in accordance with 14 CFR part 61.56), must successfully complete this online course to satisfy the part 107 remote pilot with a small UAS rating recurrent training requirement.
You must be able to show a copy of your recurrent knowledge training certificate if asked.

And I do just that; a copy of the test I passed for recurrency is in the drone case; so is a copy of the aircraft registration. My Part 107 certificate is in my wallet. Why make things harder than they have to be?

But don’t take my word for it, call your local FSDO.

The only thing worse than dealing with an FAA inspector once is dealing with him twice on the same subject LOL.

Last edited:
If the proposed NPRM for flight over people, etc. is finalized, it WILL "require remote pilots in command to present their remote pilot in command certificate as well as identification to certain Federal, State, or local officials, upon request,....."

It's the way the FAA works with all airman certificates. The certificate (the "card") does not expire. But you must do something (in the case of Part 107, take a recurrent test) to maintain currency.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki