DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UAV at Mardi-Gras

DJI Ferrari

Reactions
Does anyone here know if it would be ok for me to fly my uav - (Mavic PRO) at the Baton Rouge Spanish-town Parade to record the Parade from my Mavic? I know there will be people everywhere so I was gonna fly in a spot where there wont be too many people. I have searched google any kind of rules or regs on if its ok and can't find a single thing. I read the drone laws and as far as shooting parades it doesn't say anything about it, I know only that flying around people can be a red flag due to safety reasons and is why I'd be flying around myself only. I know some spots where people wont be but if anyone lives in Louisiana would let me know Id appreciate it. Thank you all and have happy MARDI GRAS! : )

You will get several different thoughts on what you are asking. The larger concern will be the safety of the people on the ground. The other aspect to consider would be, is this going to end up in the local news feed.

Does anyone here know if it would be ok for me to fly my uav - (Mavic PRO) at the Baton Rouge Spanish-town Parade to record the Parade from my Mavic? I know there will be people everywhere so I was gonna fly in a spot where there wont be too many people. I have searched google any kind of rules or regs on if its ok and can't find a single thing. I read the drone laws and as far as shooting parades it doesn't say anything about it, I know only that flying around people can be a red flag due to safety reasons and is why I'd be flying around myself only. I know some spots where people wont be but if anyone lives in Louisiana would let me know Id appreciate it. Thank you all and have happy MARDI GRAS! : )

1. Find a balcony where you and 5 girls can hang out.
2. Bartend for the ladies, they'll treat you good all day!
3. Place the UAV on the railing (strap it, or however you can rig it on)
4. Record the event (while entertaining the ladies)
5. Post to MavicPilots (we're more interested in the ladies B-roll)
6. Post to youtube (Let them know of the Mardi Gras video from a drone/UAV)
7. Answer all questions on youtube (people saying you were a bad boy)
8. Post the rest of the B-roll from (The "other girls" camera here)
9. Reply to dirkclod (I'm sure him and others will have much to say)
10. Your the hero of MavicPilots for the next 3 months! (Until summertime)

well i believer the laws state you can not fly over anyone without their consent. and being that you do not have the consent of the people you will be flying over, i would suggest it would be illegal.

BTW i saw an Inspire flying at the Spanish Town parade last year. dude had balls and was flying it down to the floats and over the crowd. once one of the people on the float threw a bead at it, he got out of there with the quickness.

Reactions: DJI Ferrari
well i believer the laws state you can not fly over anyone without their consent. and being that you do not have the consent of the people you will be flying over, i would suggest it would be illegal.

BTW i saw an Inspire flying at the Spanish Town parade last year. dude had balls and was flying it down to the floats and over the crowd. once one of the people on the float threw a bead at it, he got out of there with the quickness.
its ok i found an area i can record, its where there wont be people because its where my family will be away from everyone else because my uncle is coming and he has one of those big fine mobile homes on wheels which we will be in front of while he bbqs, and it will just be us family, so no one else will be near up. I also asked a cop friend who said it was cool so long as i stay away from people and least 30 feet from the highway. I will let it hover about 10 feet above my uncles mobile home so everything is good, unless it rains that day lol. But the last thing i wanna do is make anyone uncomfortable or brake any laws.

you will be VERY close to the surface to 4100' controlled Class C airspace, you will probably be in area where it is uncontrolled to 1300', but expect the software to make you acknowledge you are within 5 miles of an airport.

I am not going to quote rules and regulations, because they are such an unknown since 336 went away, so lets just say fly "best practices", don't fly over people, don't fly over roads, stay VLOS, don't fly at night without PROPER 3sm lighting and configuration.

The last thing you want is to be the poster boy for drone regulation

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne