DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UAV Forecast: App Redesign (For fun)

Chazzaa

Reactions
As a graphic designer I often do some 'for fun redesigns of apps/interfeces that I use that I think could need improvement just to keep myself on my toes. I got my first drone last weekend - Mavic 2 Pro: awesome machine, super fun.

Anyways... Ive been using UAV Forecast for the last week as recommended on this forum. Great app but one that was worth haing a go at for my next project as I definitely think the design could be bought up to date. I like the layout in general as they present a nice amount of information on the screen at one time. No real changes there, I just fixed some spacing and sizing of certain elements. The design really focuses on modernization and refinements.

What do you think?

3a6ff221fd4d930a26b1b2f8ff294ddf.jpg

I thought it might be fun to share. If its popular I may attempt to contact the developers and see if I can work with them to implement it into a future update along with the remaining pages.

Reactions: calmar81
Ahhh, I like this app, but it is SO HARD to scroll the map settings without accidentally changing parameters. Happens on a couple of other places, too. Looking forward to the remake.

But on a different note, I noticed yesterday that the small airport near me is no longer showing up. The heliport, either (pretty sure it used to). This change occurred yesterday, and it's the same today. I did not update the app ... seems something else happened, maybe from the server side.

Anyone else seeing a difference?

Actually, looking at it again and zooming out, I see that NO small airports or heliports are being listed/shown. Is it only happening to me? Maybe I need to uninstall/reinstall?

Looks nice! I really like and appreciate such free-time projects! Thank you for sharing!! :) I don't like the UX Design of UAV forecast either ;-) And because I'm very sensitive at design, I use "Advisory Weather" (‎Advisory Weather - also check out the light track feature!) instead of UAV Forecast, because it is so old-fashioned.

But: I'm a graphic designer myself and I can not help but give a few notes / remarks that would help to improve the user experience ... in my opinion:
I personally would add a light red background and red, bold font to the single condition-cards that are considered "not good". That catches more attention to that particular cards and is visually stronger. Apart from that, I would change the whole background behind the cards to solid red, too, if it's not safe to fly... with a big white exclamation mark and "NOT GOOD TO FLY" also in white.

If there's nothing, that stands in my way to fly, the background could be just in this nice bright gray.

But with more red, like I mentioned above, you would have some kind of "escalation status".

Last edited:
Reactions: Chazzaa
Looks nice! I really like and appreciate such free-time projects! Thank you for sharing!! :) I don't like the UX Design of UAV forecast either ;-) And because I'm very sensitive at design, I use "Advisory Weather" (‎Advisory Weather - also check out the light track feature!) instead of UAV Forecast, because it is so old-fashioned.

But: I'm a graphic designer myself and I can not help but give a few notes / remarks that would help to improve the user experience ... in my opinion:
I personally would add a light red background and red, bold font to the single condition-cards that are considered "not good". That catches more attention to that particular cards and is visually stronger. Apart from that, I would change the whole background behind the cards to solid red, too, if it's not safe to fly... with a big white exclamation mark and "NOT GOOD TO FLY" also in white.

If there's nothing, that stands in my way to fly, the background could be just in this nice bright gray.

But with more red, like I mentioned above, you would have some kind of "escalation status".
Your link works for Advisory weather but is it only for ios and not for Android.

Is there any chance that transparency of the NFZ circles could be user-adjustable? Sometimes I would like to be able to see the underlying map more clearly, without just shutting off the setting.

And my installation is still only showing Large Airports, no small ones or heliports. This issue just started for me yesterday.

Thanks! Definitely some great feedback, I think adding the more red will definitely create a better sense of warning state and differentiate better between ‘Good to fly’ and ‘Not good to fly’ nice one!

Just to be clear, I don’t actually work for UAV Forecast but I definitely agree with the comments here. Perhaps it’s worth leaving a review on the App Store so that the developers will receive your feedback. [emoji106]

Just to be clear, I don’t actually work for UAV Forecast but I definitely agree with the comments here. Perhaps it’s worth leaving a review on the App Store so that the developers will receive your feedback. [emoji106]
I understood that right from the beginning... just a free-time project to test and improve your skills :)

Maybe you drop them a line or two via their developer page instead of reviewing... Normally, developers are very open for improvements and feature requests. And maybe they like your redesign as much as we do and consider to change the interface to match the mainly better app designs we're all used to from DJI & Co.

I understood that right from the beginning... just a free-time project to test and improve your skills :)

Maybe you drop them a line or two via their developer page instead of reviewing... Normally, developers are very open for improvements and feature requests. And maybe they like your redesign as much as we do and consider to change the interface to match the mainly better app designs we're all used to from DJI & Co.

No worries and good idea!. I know that you realised that it was a free time project but I think a couple of people thought I am working for them hence their comments :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ENJOYBIKE