DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UAV In-Flight Emergencies

Classic. I do wish other drones could yaw during RTH like the Mini 2.
The Classic RTH flies the longer legs of the right angle triangle, instead of the hypotenuse, so it is not the most direct route, which can better be achieved by flying manually along the glide path (hypotenuse) that the Advanced RTH would choose, but it does have the potential for running into intervening objects, requiring attention. The Classic may the safest, as long as it is set high enough, and you have enough battery left for the longer distance of the sides of the triangle, and there is no headwind on the return. Wind speed is lowest close to the ground, so if you encounter sudden rain storm, you want to be returning as directly as possible and as low to the ground as possible, especially if there is any headwind, and that requires full manual control for max speed and hugging the ground. Don't get too dependent upon RTH. You need to also be able to fly home without it, when it is not the best choice! 22 mph may not be fast enough in a headwind.

Yes, yaw control would be a welcome feature during any automated RTH. However, manual return to home also provides full control.

The Classic RTH flies the longer legs of the right angle triangle, instead of the hypotenuse, so it is not the most direct route, which can better be achieved by flying manually along the glide path (hypotenuse) that the Advanced RTH would choose, but it does have the potential for running into intervening objects, requiring attention. The Classic may the safest, as long as it is set high enough, and you have enough battery left for the longer distance of the sides of the triangle, and there is no headwind on the return. Wind speed is lowest close to the ground, so if you encounter sudden rain storm, you want to be returning as directly as possible and as low to the ground as possible, especially if there is any headwind, and that requires full manual control for max speed and hugging the ground. Don't get too dependent upon RTH. You need to also be able to fly home without it, when it is not the best choice! 22 mph may not be fast enough in a headwind.

Yes, yaw control would be a welcome feature during any automated RTH. However, manual return to home also provides full control.
When I engage RTH, it flies straight to the Home Point. Yes, I can fly home, forwards, backwards, sideways and diagonally if I want. I also pay attention to high wind warnings and battery level. To each his own. You do you, I'll do me.

Classic. I do wish other drones could yaw during RTH like the Mini 2.
You can still just pan the camera left or right without yaw while in RTH to look around the scenery while returning home. For that? No need to touch either stick. Just move the camera left or right instead. Sometime I do it just to look up at my front props spinning.

Okay I updated the list per forum members comments.
Still far away…? If it went down there, could you go get it? Total gone could be only 100ft away if not.
Yes of course an in-flight emergency can be pilot induced and/or error. Can it be safely recovered is the question. RPIC is 100% responsible.

In-Flight Emergencies:

-On convergence with a manned craft.
-Craft being shot at or hit.
-A bird chasing or bird strike.
-Flash serious weather event in flight.
-Threw off a propeller blade.
-Mechanical failure or issue with craft.
-Software failure or issue with craft.
-Phone low battery about to power off.
-Dropped and damaged controller/phone while in flight.
-Pilot situation/emergency at home point with craft still far away.
-Accidental controller screen bump of settings caused unintended outcome.
-Pilot failure to confirm RTH setting before takeoff. (Loses signal far away, goes to hover or land, not RTH).
-Pilot turning off RTH then going critical low battery too far out to return.

When I engage RTH, it flies straight to the Home Point. Yes, I can fly home, forwards, backwards, sideways and diagonally if I want. I also pay attention to high wind warnings and battery level. To each his own. You do you, I'll do me.
Just pointing out all the gotcha’s for those relying on RTH. It isn‘t a panacea.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure