DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK CAA GVC Certified Using DJI Mini 3 Pro

frankbiganski

Reactions
Site
londonestatephotography.co.uk
I became GVC certified in the UK to provide aerial imagery of properties to estate agents and property owners in the London area.

Over the past year, I've had multiple requests to take images of top level flats but I've not been able to legally launch primarily due to the weight of my Mavic Air 2 (570 grams) and proximity to people and buildings not under my control.

But it occurred to me that if I were to buy a DJI Mini 3 Pro, which weighs 249 grams with standard battery, that would permit me to legally launch while still adhering to all safety protocol as defined in my PDRA01.

I'm thinking I could call the CAA as well, but thought I put this question to the forum as well.

Cheers!

Frank

@frankbiganski ,i think you will find that irrespective of the weight of the aircraft,if you are flying commercially under your PDRA01 then all requirements will remain the same ,contact the place where you took your GVC and they should be able to advise you

Reactions: frankbiganski
I became GVC certified in the UK to provide aerial imagery of properties to estate agents and property owners in the London area.

Over the past year, I've had multiple requests to take images of top level flats but I've not been able to legally launch primarily due to the weight of my Mavic Air 2 (570 grams) and proximity to people and buildings not under my control.

But it occurred to me that if I were to buy a DJI Mini 3 Pro, which weighs 249 grams with standard battery, that would permit me to legally launch while still adhering to all safety protocol as defined in my PDRA01.

I'm thinking I could call the CAA as well, but thought I put this question to the forum as well.

Cheers!

Frank
You'd also have to check the local authority bye-laws for each respective borough. The CAA might administer airspace, but local councils also seem to think they control every aspect of human behaviour from street level up. It's starting to be a real bureaucratic minefield out there. One thing I have learned is that the more you involve any kind of bureaucracy (especially the petty kind) the more barriers to common sense and speedy resolution get dreamed up.

Reactions: old man mavic
Yes Felix, the council bye-laws are another topic completely, and oh such a joy to navigate too. :p

But regarding flying a drone that weigh less than 250g with GVC certification, my RAE-certified flight instructors said I have a GO for takeoff near people and buildings with a mini-drone, as soon as I update my PDRA01 that is. They said many GVC certified remote pilots carry a mini drone in their gear bag for such situations too.

Cheers!

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer