DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK CAA Registration and Labelling

CadmannUK

Reactions
Hi All,

After passing and registering your drones in the UK, where are getting your labels from?

Also where are you all putting them?

Thanks
Tim
Mavic Air

DIY. I already have a label printer so I used that, but a piece of paper or card under a bit of clear waterproof tape would work just as well. Not seen anyone offering professionally printed labels via mail yet, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

I put a label externally on the side of the drone near the bottom, so if it does ever come adrift it'll hopefully get blown down and away by the prop wash before fouling anything, and I also have a second label inside the battery compartment for good measure. Since then the CAA have updated their Labelling your Drone page to state that it's OK to just have a label inside the battery compartment as long as you don't need special tools to access it, so I'll probably just remove the exterior one for good if it ever starts to peel.

Just laminate a piece of paper and put it under the battery would seem to comply without spending any money at all.

Screenshot_20191130-215729_Drive.jpg
Clearly needs to be external...."visible without needing a special tool to remove or open part of your aircraft". I would say that removing the battery isn't valid then!

View attachment 86959
Clearly needs to be external...."visible without needing a special tool to remove or open part of your aircraft". I would say that removing the battery isn't valid then!

The CAA have since clarified this and confirmed that inside the battery compartment is fine. The current webpage is a bit clearer than the poster and states: "visible from the outside, or within a compartment that can easily be accessed without using a tool". Since you don't need a tool to remove the battery to access the compartment, inside it is perfectly fine, but if you want to put it on the exterior that's fine too.

This is no doubt because of a significant amount of pushback from scale modellers who (quite rightly!) don't want a non-authentic number on the exterior of their historic aircraft models.

Hi All,

After passing and registering your drones in the UK, where are getting your labels from?
Thanks
Tim
Mavic Air
Hi Tim - I just used the Dymo labeller that we use for labelling stuff that's bagged for the freezer!
I put my label on the floor of the battery compartment.

the CAA have backtracked on there advice for labeling, when i first registered, i contacted them and was told that it had to be visible on the outside of the aircraft, and putting it in the battery compartment was not really correct, as if someone wanted to access the no they would not know how to remove the battery, so that is the advice i gave on the forum at the time i did while on the phone to them mention scale model fliers would not be very happy with that ruling, and i had been led to believe by the BMFA that an exception would be made for such models,it does seem that it is now the case and common sense has prevailed for once

Hi All,
I also phoned the CAA, about 3 weeks ago, and was told that the ID needed to be on the outside of the drone (not in the battery compartment).
Is this not the case? (slightly confused).

As i like spending too much money on items that really shouldn't cost that much i bought a drone ID label from Drone Tag Labels and Plaques [ Shop ]

Nice and small and looks nice and neat.

Reactions: old man mavic
Hi All,
I also phoned the CAA, about 3 weeks ago, and was told that the ID needed to be on the outside of the drone (not in the battery compartment).

As i like spending too much money on items that really shouldn't cost that much i bought a drone ID label from Drone Tag Labels and Plaques [ Shop ]

Nice and small and looks nice and neat.
well what i did was to put one on the top of the mav, and one in the batt compartment in case the other one came off in flight

Hi All,

I've also gone with both inside and outside, but there if definitely seems to be some confusion amongst pilots and the CAA on this. The CAA update I saw confirming inside the battery compartment was OK was only posted here was last week though, and the web page seems to have been updated around the same time. My guess would be that they changed the official line in between your query and the latter one, but if you don't mind a label on the outside they I don't see any reason why not to take that approach.

Hi All,

Thanks
Tim
Mavic Air

I have an engraving business, so I made this for mine and I'm selling them for £5 each now. They are made from lightweight trophy plate and can be cut to any size. They weigh less than a gram if my kitchen scales are accurate enough.

Attachments

• 2019-11-05 13.57.47-1.jpg
    2019-11-05 13.57.47-1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
Reading the updated CAA guidelines mine is inside the battery compartment. Just printed it from my PC. But just in case an over zealous member of public or plod aren't up to speed I've printed out the web page & laminated it. It sits with my insurance cover note and proof of CAA papers in my carry case. Job done

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki