DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK Drone Guidance

harrylisbon

Reactions
Hey all,

Wondering if anyone can advise of the following?

So one of the companies I work for (I freelance) have asked me if I can take some drone footage for them? Now I don't have a commercial license so my understanding of it is that I can take the footage for them but cannot charge any money for it. (Which I'm fine with!) -Would they be able to use the footage on their website or does that fall under commercial use?

The second question is the footage they want is some works carried out near a motorway. Am I allowed to fly above a motorway/structure as long as it's 50m above it? I envisaged flying it at an altitude of 90-100m.

Sounds like silly questions, but I'm trying to find the answers so I can advise the company!

I was going to contact the CAA to ask them these questions later this week but just wondered if someone here knew! :)

Thanks in advance!

Harry

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

After looking into CAA guidance, I believe you can do things for whoever you want, as long as you are not getting anything (be monetary or something else) in return (as far as I can tell - I am no expert but looking at doing a CAA course myself).

As for motorways looking at the 'Drone Code' provided by CAA, I would probably class motorways as built up areas considering the amount of traffic/vehicles that are using them. You would have to be at least 50 metres away for most purposes, NOT above - or in the case of built up areas - 150 metres.

Reactions: Chrisg333
So you work freelance and happy not to charge for your time/drone footage?

Ok then.

That's entirely for the decision of the operator. I know I wouldn't, but that's why I'm looking at getting licensed.

I'm looking at going licensed but right now I don't have it but I was happy to go and do it and built up a portfolio of sorts...

So you work freelance and happy not to charge for your time/drone footage?

Ok then.

It's a company I've freelanced for, for a while and made plenty of money off them. Figured this is a good way of providing client entertainment while not breaking the bank [emoji6]

After looking into CAA guidance, I believe you can do things for whoever you want, as long as you are not getting anything (be monetary or something else) in return (as far as I can tell - I am no expert but looking at doing a CAA course myself).

As for motorways looking at the 'Drone Code' provided by CAA, I would probably class motorways as built up areas considering the amount of traffic/vehicles that are using them. You would have to be at least 50 metres away for most purposes, NOT above - or in the case of built up areas - 150 metres.

Thanks for looking for me. I've just seen the 150m. I had accidentally read that as 150ft earlier. That means it's still feasible but need to take a different approach to planning the shoot.

I'll still touch base with the CAA though for guidance.

Planning to start Commercial around spring...

Who would know if you got paid for providing the photo's and how could they prove it was you who took them? If the company you worked for were happy to give you a small donation for your time then how would anyone know of this? How could you be punished as such?

Reactions: Chrisg333
Who would know if you got paid for providing the photo's and how could they prove it was you who took them? If the company you worked for were happy to give you a small donation for your time then how would anyone know of this? How could you be punished as such?

It would be hard to identify yes, but everything is done on the 'What If' scenario, and should worst come to worst.
At the end of the day, it's a legal requirement to have a valid license, and with said license have the correct insurances in place so that you are able to earn money. I wouldn't want an unqualified airline pilot to take control, no matter how many hours they have. Steps are put in place for a reason.

If the image is to be used for a commercial purpose - directly or indirectly, then you need a PfCO. This would include them putting it on their website. Being a business I can't believe they want it to stick in a drawer for ever. Strictly speaking you can't even use images you take before you qualify for a portfolio as your portfolio will be used for sales and marketing purposes...i.e. commercial again. Sucks I know as starting a commercial operation becomes a catch 22 situation.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fastdove