DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK Drone insurance

Please Note - As of 20th September 2017 - BackMeUp.co.uk will no longer cover drones for new policies.

Current policy holders will remain covered as long as the policy remains active.

Please Note - As of 20th September 2017 - BackMeUp.co.uk will no longer cover drones for new policies.

Current policy holders will remain covered as long as the policy remains active.

Have you found a similar alternative?

I checked with my insurance company in detail how they handle drone covering before i even lifted the thing off the ground this summer. The person there had no clue so they checked their policies and called me back the next day.

So it is included in my home insurance as a hobby device, like a bicycle or snowboard. They weren't very picky about how the drone breaks or disappears. Nor did the say a word about flight logs or solid proof that it flew away and was never found or recovered.

150€ is the excess and they will pay the difference of the total sum on the fly more combo original receipt 1430€. I asked what about all the other stuff whats in the fly more combo box, they did'nt care. No questions asked (they claimed). It's all the same, crash, water accident, taken by storm, falls down from the sky, bird accident or anything else, they explained to me.

Oh and also, every full year from the date of purchase they reduce the items value 10% of the full price when bought.

If i crash, lose or break it, whatever the reason, they pay me 1280€. No talk about extra batteries 90€/piece, RC ~220€, bag 90€, gimbal&camera ~220€.

But what they say and what they pay are often different things. I anyway fly without any worries, if something happens, I'll deal with it then.

P.s. Broke a 55" TV once, sent them the original receipt and a picture of the broken tv(screen), not more than 2 weeks and the TV:s original price -150€ Excess and they paid me 849€ to my account.

I live in Finland.

Have you found a similar alternative?

I believe PhotoGuard or Home Insurance (such as Aviva) is going to be the closest.

Fortunately, I am covered with BackMeUp, so will stay with them as they have said they will cover current policies, just not taking any new policies on for drones.

I believe PhotoGuard or Home Insurance (such as Aviva) is going to be the closest.

Fortunately, I am covered with BackMeUp, so will stay with them as they have said they will cover current policies, just not taking any new policies on for drones.

do you know if they will allow stop and start on the current drone policies?

Unfortunately, once you stop, they will not allow restart on drone policies

Reactions: Youser
So I just got off the phone with Barclays Premier Insurance team and they confirmed that digital drone cameras are covered by the tech pack. Call has been monitored so that's where I will register my Mavic for theft damage and breakdown £9.50 pcm and you can register more devices.

Last edited:
So I just got off the phone with Barclays Premier Insurance team and they confirmed that digital drone cameras are covered by the travel pack. Call has been monitored so that's where I will register my Mavic for theft damage and breakdown £9.50 pcm and you can register more devices.

Will this include accidental damage?

And is that £9.50 on top of something or can you just take out the travel pack on it's own at £9.50pm

Hi sorry, meant to write Tech Pack. Available to all Barclays customers. Protects from loss, theft, accidental damage and breakdown.

Reactions: Youser
Wouldn’t it be wise to take out insurance that included third-party damage to other people’s property or injury to others? What if the drone hits a parked car, or injures someone? I’m not sure where we’d stand.

Wouldn’t it be wise to take out insurance that included third-party damage to other people’s property or injury to others? What if the drone hits a parked car, or injures someone? I’m not sure where we’d stand.
As previously mentioned on this thread, you would sign up with FPVUK for public liability insurance.

So I just got off the phone with Barclays Premier Insurance team and they confirmed that digital drone cameras are covered by the tech pack. Call has been monitored so that's where I will register my Mavic for theft damage and breakdown £9.50 pcm and you can register more devices.

Does that cover flyaways too?

Does that cover flyaways too?
So i wasnt asking for that but it covers a loss and accidental damage. So if you recover it then you have accidental damage and if you dont then you lost it. At least thats how i would present my case.

With regards to BMFA or FPVUK
BMFA cover you for more and is worldwide
It was 5 months ago I joined and because of traveling I went for BMFA as FPVUK isn't or wasn't at the time worldwide

So i wasnt asking for that but it covers a loss and accidental damage. So if you recover it then you have accidental damage and if you dont then you lost it. At least thats how i would present my case.

Does that make DJI Care Refresh a better deal then?

Country Cover do drones. Country Cover Club - Drone & Model Aircraft Insurance
You can also get an add if travelling in the EU and the standard one covers both the Uk and Ireland.

Have you read their T&Cs?

• Pilot to be certified by a recognised Instructor to be competent to fly.
  • Line of Sight Flying only; Model aircraft to remain in sight at all times and not to be flown higher than 400ft.
£60+VAT a year with no flyaway cover.

Am I understanding this correctly?

I use BFMA - just in case something went wrong. 2 points to note : 1) It is 3rd party insurance only (ie won’t repair /replace your drone). 2) it is an annual subscription staring Jan 1. The 1st year I started in Nov and had to really-new in Jan!!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne