DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK drone reg clarification?

skiddyfisk

Reactions
I'm planning a trip to Wales next summer, and looking at what I'll be dealing with to fly there.

Reading up the laws here: Recreational drone flights | UK Civil Aviation Authority

Article 94(4) says:

>(4) The person in charge of a small unmanned aircraft which has a mass of more
>than 7kg excluding its fuel but including any articles or equipment installed in or
>attached to the aircraft at the commencement of its flight, must not fly the
>aircraft:

>(a) in Class A, C, D or E airspace unless the permission of the appropriate air
>traffic control unit has been obtained;

>(b) within an aerodrome traffic zone during the notified hours of watch of the
>air traffic control unit (if any) at that aerodrome unless the permission of
>any such air traffic control unit has been obtained;
>or
>(c) at a height of more than 400 feet above the surface unless it is flying in
>airspace described in sub-paragraph (a) or (b) and in accordance with the
>requirements for that airspace.

A and B don't matter. Does c mean that craft **under** 7 kg can go above 400 feet? (Mavic is more like .7 kg)

Article 95 adds:
>(1) The person in charge of a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not fly the
>aircraft in any of the circumstances described in paragraph (2) except in
>accordance with a permission issued by the CAA.

>(2) The circumstances referred to in paragraph (1) are:

>(a) over or within 150 metres of any congested area;

>(b) over or within 150 metres of an organised open-air assembly of more than
>1,000 persons;

>(c) within 50 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the
>control of the person in charge of the aircraft;
>or
>(d) subject to paragraphs (3) and (4), within 50 metres of any person.

>(3) Subject to paragraph (4), during take-off or landing, a small unmanned
>surveillance aircraft must not be flown within 30 metres of any person.

>(4) Paragraphs (2)(d) and (3) do not apply to the person in charge of the small
>unmanned surveillance aircraft or a person under the control of the person in
>charge of the aircraft.

What's a "congested area"? I'll be staying in a small village waaay out in Wales most of the time; couple dozen or so houses surrounded by a shload of open fields. I *want* to get some aerial photos of the village; am I correctly reading the law in concluding that I can walk 50+ meters away from any buildings, vehicles, or people other than myself and whoever's with me, take the drone up to a decent altitude, and do my flyover?

I'm aware that they're working on a possible registration scheme which could affect me if it happens before I go, but I'm currently only concerned with the existing, written law.

You're over-thinking trying to decipher their technical jargon.
What you want to do shouldn't be a problem, be more concerned about spooking any horses or cattle while at lower altitude.
Ideally don't go closer than 150 feet to houses unless well above anyway
The 400 feet limit is usually plenty high enough but in hilly areas no-one is checking if you started from higher up and didn't drop lower over a valley.
But be aware of the chance of sudden military air traffic or other small planes and helicopters.

A congested area means town centre or busy beach not a few cars or a handful of people walking down a lane.
It's all common sense really. If you aren't sure, don't do it, or come back at a quiet time.
Early mornings are often best and less windy too quite often.

Experience has taught me that common sense and hastily-implemented legislation are generally not related concepts.

Are random low-altitude helicopters and military flights a common thing in the far west end of Wales?

I've checked the area in drone assist and the only marked "hazard" is this:

hOxLspU.png

I "may" have greater obligations? I don't like "may". Can I just look up the contact info for whoever runs the place and notify them in advance?

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradl