DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK Lockdown

Ryanmini

Reactions
In the Uk we are in national lockdown does this mean I can’t go fly my drone for a while, just wanna go fly it, I don’t see the danger if I’m sitting in a field on my own with nobody around? Or can I go fly my drone as long as I’m not near anyone?

In the Uk we are in national lockdown does this mean I can’t go fly my drone for a while, just wanna go fly it, I don’t see the danger if I’m sitting in a field on my own with nobody around? Or can I go fly my drone as long as I’m not near anyone?
Correct - you are not allowed to ‘Go fly your drone’ in lockdown.

This has been confirmed.

But wasn't it on the BBC news today that fishing is ok providing social distancing is maintained??

its not about the actual drone flying itself ,its to do with having a legitimate reason for being out of your dwelling ,because this new strain of the virus is so much more easily spread and so we are being asked to stay at home ,or face the prospect of a fine

Surely fishing and drone flying is pretty much in the same ball park, sit in one place away from many people and doing a hobby you enjoy, I understand new strain more infectious, but if I was to carry the virus how can I infect someone if I’m far away from people but it’s okay to walk around a supermarket and be within breathing distance of people but that okay absolute crazy, some of it is about money, it’s all The people that didn’t follow the rules over Christmas that has caused it to go like wildfire rant over ?

Reactions: dawgpilot
If you are far away from all other people, and nobody can see you outdoors, then you can use your discretion, nudge-nudge, wink-wink, Bob's yer uncle.
Be my luck a police car will drive past catch me and boom fine here we come ? best of just flying in your garden with the new rules

To be honest I don't see how they hope to beat this thing until everyone has either caught it, survived.... or not :-(( ..... and developed immunity, or had natural immunity in the first place or been given immunity via a jab.
If its spread is simply slowed down then the infection resevoir is surely still there, just leaking more slowly.
It doesn't care two hoots whether rules are here today and changed tomorrow.

Yes I can see the point in trying to slow its spread in anticipation of jabs but changing the rules one way and then the other............

That video needs an edit. The very first source states "Strictly speaking, the answer would have to be no. It would be like going fishing". Fishing has now been clarified as being permitted, which also negates the first part of the argument relating to walking to a location and then loitering to do something that isn't physical exercise.

Still, the whole spirit of the lockdown is definitely to stay at home except for *essential* activities - which does include mental health and fitness - but I think you'd be hard-pressed to convince someone that the specific act of flying a drone did that over and above just taking a walk/bike ride (clearing your head, basically) to get to you location of choice. Maybe something on the mental stimulation angle? Ultimately, it's got to be your call given your specific circumstances - just keep in mind that it's a potential £200 fine (£100 if paid promptly) if you are challenged by law enforcement.

I, for one, will not be flying, even in my back garden. I have a family member currently in hospital with Covid, have what I hope will remain mild case myself, and am totally aware of just how much strain the NHS is under at the moment and the truly heroic efforts their staff are making. I see absolutely ZERO justification for doing *anything* other than the truly essential tasks that might add to that strain.

As @old man mavic says, it's all about staying at home unless it's necessary to go out. Usually it would be fine to take yourself off to a wide open space where you could be on your own, but when 200 other people have the same idea and it results in the emergency services being tied up for hours digging them out of snowdrifts then it's not such a clever idea. One of the reasons the virus has been spreading so fast is the number of people looking for every possible loophole in the rules so they can do their own thing. If the general public had behaved with a modicum of common sense from the beginning we wouldn't have needed further lockdowns.

Just because you 'can' doesn't mean you should.

I am a keen angler - I could walk to one stretch of river in 5 or 6 minutes, but I won't be because I don't think it is right. Just because the law says you can doesn't mean it is RIGHT, it just means it is legal - they are NOT the same.
DO THE RIGHT THING.

I find it incredulous that people need to be told what to do nowadays - and even when they are told just how dangerous something is they are still prepared to roll the dice, not just with their own wellbeing (it's OK, the Government and the NHS will look after me), but with other peoples' wellbeing too.

When do they project vaccines over there? Vaccinations have already started here. My kids who are in medicine have already gotten the first shot and will get the second on in the next day or two. There was a county "survey" that I guess puts you on a list to assign priorities. I was notified that I should probably expect to be vaccinated in February. I'm told that the vaccines as effective for the UK strain too.

While I recognize that the UK strain is more contagious than the original strain, I wonder if it is the same as here, attenuating to a weaker version that, while as contagious as before doesn't have the same mortality rate. Even with lockdowns (that can't last forever) and vaccines and better treatments, I suspect we won't be done with this until we reach herd immunity levels of 70% either having contracted it or been immunized from it.

Reactions: KingRat
When do they project vaccines over there? Vaccinations have already started here. My kids who are in medicine have already gotten the first shot and will get the second on in the next day or two. There was a county "survey" that I guess puts you on a list to assign priorities. I was notified that I should probably expect to be vaccinated in February. I'm told that the vaccines as effective for the UK strain too.

While I recognize that the UK strain is more contagious than the original strain, I wonder if it is the same as here, attenuating to a weaker version that, while as contagious as before doesn't have the same mortality rate. Even with lockdowns (that can't last forever) and vaccines and better treatments, I suspect we won't be done with this until we reach herd immunity levels of 70% either having contracted it or been immunized from it.

The Queen got hers today, first round jab. Prince Phillip gets his on Tuesday..... the roll out has started, but they are targetting the most exposed and most vulnerable first. The numbers are staggering: if they can do 1 million jabs a week, with a population of 70 million to wade through, that is 70 weeks...... everyone will be vaccinated by 2023!

this whole thread is a very imotive subject and there are going to be many differing opinions about the validity of the lockdown, perhaps with hindsight ,it should not be something that we should be discussing on the forum ,i am sure it goes without saying ,that no one wants anyone to fall fowl of the virus ,and maybe this thread would be better served if we all take personal Responcebility for our actions and leave it at that

If you are far away from all other people, and nobody can see you outdoors, then you can use your discretion, nudge-nudge, wink-wink, Bob's yer uncle.
If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it does it make any noise.?

You’re far away from other people. You fall over, hurt yourself, or knock yourself out. Nobody knows where you are, or even if they do you’re still away from easy access. So, now you have police, ambulance, possible mountain rescue looking for you. In reality, they’re all needed elswhere to deal with people that have caught a virus (probably no fault of their own). What you didn’t know is you are carrying the virus as not all carriers present symptoms, and now you’ve infected a bunch of emergency workers and medical staff just because you couldn’t be bothered to stay at home for a few weeks. See how this works? Stay at home. It’s not hard. Have a bit of patience and wait until it’s over. It’s too bloody cold anyway.

It depends entirely on the police who have been instructed this time to be brutal about enforcement.
This week we've had people fined for walking carrying a hot drink, throwing snowballs and latest, 2 people for sitting on a bench next to the ocean.

So its highly unlikely you'll persuade a police officer at the moment a "good reason" to be out of your house is to play around with a drone.
If its not for work, you cant possibly argue its "essential".

Unless its legal to fly from your garden, you're probably out of luck until April.

The rules maybe ridiculous, ineffective and not thought out at all but the police have been and are being told to ruthlessly apply them using the strictest interpretation possible and so seem to be doing so.
(and yes it is stupid you can legally go fishing for hours on end next to a lake but cant stand next to the same lake and drink a coffee or fly a drone...but currently thats how it is).
Ultimately, the fines are £200 reduced to £100 so depends how much money you want to gamble on a drone flight.

I went down to my local park a few days ago for an hour to fly my mm1 was OK and people out walking there just left me alone.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme