DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK restricted area help

JerGriffin

Reactions
Hi I wondered if anyone can help - I wanted to film myself while playing a game of golf - my course is in a green restricted zone as it’s next to a hospital - I want to record below tree height - what’s the procedure - I’ve got my operator ID but seems that’s not enough - any help out there what I have to do to get permission - thanks

Hi I wondered if anyone can help - I wanted to film myself while playing a game of golf - my course is in a green restricted zone as it’s next to a hospital - I want to record below tree height - what’s the procedure - I’ve got my operator ID but seems that’s not enough - any help out there what I have to do to get permission - thanks
did you do the flyer id test as well you need both to be able to fly legally, if you did then you know that you cant fly closer than 150ft to other people
for a start you would have to have permission from the golf course to fly below tree height,and you could only do it if all parties including other golfers were informed and in agreement of your idea

Yes I did the flyer ID test and have that, the golf course want me to film it and would shut the course while I did it, my problem is I think, that helicopters fly in occassionally to the hospital, although I will NOT be flying above the tree line and of course I can hear when they are about and would not fly. Just not sure of the legalities

Reactions: old man mavic
what you could do is get the golf course to contact the CAA and ask them for permission for the flight with details of the maximum height you would be flying and the date and times
they might give the go ahead ,only problem i can see is the fact that you are not a PFCO holder, or you could just fly it as the course will be empty, and you are doing it with their blessing, and make sure that you stay below the tree line at all times, but you should at the very least have some third party cover in the event of a crash

Thankyou for your help-this drone thing started as fun and it is still fun but very addictive and i want to do things correctly - I really appreciate your help

Regards Jeremy

I emailed the CAA, not very helpful really, i gave them my flight plan and overhead shots of the area which has some privacy restrictions that I can easily manage and an overhead cable warning - the CAA sent me a link to the dronesafe code pdf that I can adhere too and the drone safety map that has privacy warnings but only if I break the drone safe code of practice but then the CAA sent me this link which I really dont understand
https://www.aurora.nats.co.uk/htmlAIP/Publications/2019-10-10-AIRAC/html/index-en-GB.html

This was the email from the CAA
Dear Mr Griffin

The CAA will not advise on locations where drones can be flown, as this covered by the Air Navigation Order i.e. classes of Airspace. The responsibility lies with the operator if the area he has chosen to fly in is suitable.

Please check below for further assistance

Please check the DRONE CODE ,the drone safety map website and NATS Website.

Drone Code https://dronesafe.uk/drone-code/

https://www.dronesafetymap.com/

https://www.aurora.nats.co.uk/htmlAIP/Publications/2019-10-10-AIRAC/html/index-en-GB.html

This was my email
Dear Sir / Madam
My name is Jeremy Griffin
I wondered if you could help me on a matter of legalities regarding a drone flight that I would like to make of my local golf course- I am involved with the golf club organising matches etc and I would like to update our website with drone footage of the course.

My intention is to fly no more than 3 meters above ground and at least 170 meters from any public building / private or persons of each hole (please see enclosed flight plan)

I can get perfect shots alterIng my gimbal at a very low height.

I wanted to check with the CAA that this is legal and within your guidelines, the zones are as follows

My flight path is as follows

The flight path is marked in red above and the flight would take place before the school is open or when shut as to respect any privacy laws. The flight would take about 2 hours and as stated no more than 2/3 meters above ground

I look forward to your reply

Regards Jeremy griffin

well based on that from the CAA then I myself would go ahead with your plans ,i know you will not be flying very high but if as you say you are close to a hospital helli pad ,you just need to listen for a helicopter flying in your neck of the woods and just land till it has passed if you are taking video then choose a calm day if you can and fly in tripod mode which will slow everything down ,and give you smoother control

Thanks so much for your advise and your experience - I just needed someone to have a read at my plan so I wasnt breaking any laws of flying a drone.

Good Luck - stay safe - and thankyou again

as long as the course is closed ,and you have the blessing of the land owner to be there, then you will be fine good luck with your project ,and let us know how it went

Yes I will Ill send you one of the 18 videos - just got to choose the right filter now, and run it past the board members at the golf club. That could be a restricted zone of another type HA!

• Haha

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msporting