DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ulanzi DR-02 Strobe?

jarnie

Reactions
I am 'in the market' for a WHITE strobe for my MA2 and have read the threads already posted here about strobes.

Just wondering if anyone has used the Ulanzi DR-02 strobe and if so their thoughts on this? Where do you mount your strobe, on top or under or on a leg?

It weighs 6.5 grams which is very light but it looks bulky compared to other brands but it appears to show light from the top as well as the front and back which I think is great.

Does anyone else use other brands and which they are completely happy with?

The DR-02 is 1/2" thick. I know they claim it to be 6.5 grams, but I doubt that it would be that light. My stripped down Arc II weighs 7 grams. The Arc V with housing weighs 13 grams.

1606952321830.png

Thanks for your input.
At this time I can only source ARC strobes from USA and they charge a lot more for postage than the actual price of the strobe. Hopefully that might change soon. Also they only appear to face in one direction so unless you have at least two mounted the strobe may not be seen. I could only find the ARC II. What do you mean 'stripped down'? Without a case to protect it?

Reactions: Romulus Archibald
Thanks. Firstly it is described there as being 4 ounces (112 grams) in weight. Surely that is incorrect.
Secondly its too expensive as they want $85 for shipping (the item is only $30) $115 for one is far too expensive.

Thanks. Firstly it is described there as being 4 ounces (112 grams) in weight. Surely that is incorrect.
Secondly its too expensive as they want $85 for shipping (the item is only $30) $115 for one is far too expensive.

Just saw that your in Oz, the strobon and firehouse products are expensive here.

Here is a cheaper alternative, the white crees are the brightest.

Thanks Iannes
Looks ok. Do you use this one? Just wondering if the strobe can be seen from the side or only from the top ie could it be attached to the top of an MA2 and be seen from all angles? I will contact the seller.

Thanks for your input.
At this time I can only source ARC strobes from USA and they charge a lot more for postage than the actual price of the strobe. Hopefully that might change soon. Also they only appear to face in one direction so unless you have at least two mounted the strobe may not be seen. I could only find the ARC II. What do you mean 'stripped down'? Without a case to protect it?

Yes. Here are side by side photos of the Arc V and Arc II next to each other, then bottom mounted on my Mini 2. The Arc II has no weatherproofing. The battery is sort of shrink wrapped against the circuit board. Very thin and only 7 grams. To be honest, the functional difference in light output and ability to see at distance is minimal. The Arc II is rated to have the same output as the Lume Cube. I don't always use a top mounted strobe but 99.9% use a bottom mount. If I do use a top mount the bottom strobe will be mounted as well. Note how the leg extensions provide adequate ground clearance. This is important if you're not landing on solid surface.

ArcV_ArcII.jpg

Thanks Iannes
Looks ok. Do you use this one? Just wondering if the strobe can be seen from the side or only from the top ie could it be attached to the top of an MA2 and be seen from all angles? I will contact the seller.

I use Strobon white cree's and have them mounted on the rear legs using these mounts, they will be expensive, but you can just use adhesive velcro instead

1606987354514.png

Last edited:
I use a pair of Ulanzi DR-02s , and for the price theyre a solid buy.
Maybe not as bright as the firehouse strobes , but like you said , they charge a extortionate amount of money for shipping so never had one.
The Ulanzi DR-02 has the advantage of being able to strobe RED GREEN or WHITE at the touch of a button. They also hold their charge for ages and don't weigh much. The lens and case may add a tiny bit of weight but to you get a waterproof product in return. For the money they're worth giving a shot

I use Strobon white cree's and have them mounted on the rear legs using these mounts, they will be expensive, but you can just use adhesive velcro instead

View attachment 118370

Thanks for that jarnie, I’ve put them on my watch list.
regards

The bright one.

I am 'in the market' for a WHITE strobe for my MA2 and have read the threads already posted here about strobes.

Just wondering if anyone has used the Ulanzi DR-02 strobe and if so their thoughts on this? Where do you mount your strobe, on top or under or on a leg?

It weighs 6.5 grams which is very light but it looks bulky compared to other brands but it appears to show light from the top as well as the front and back which I think is great.

Does anyone else use other brands and which they are completely happy with?
I own a Mavic Air 2 and have THREE strobes attached. I use the same rule as on a boat. Green on the right side of the body near the front and red on the left. I have the white strobe fastened to the rear between the sensors. That way I can always see the direction my bird is flying. Let me know if you want photos. I can also tell you where to get a set for about $70.00.

View attachment 118370

I have the smaller strobes for my front legs on my Mini. And while the 3D printed mounts work well, if you're looking to minimize weight and bulk, instead of, or in addition to velcro, elastic hair bands work exceptionally well. They weigh virtually nothing. 250 bands for around $2.50 USD. Incrediby elastic and I've never lost a strobe with the bands, though I did lose one with velcro alone, which I think was largely an inspection oversight.

In a display of pure over-kill I wanted to show some possibilities. Total weight as displayed including headlight mount is 296 grams, way over the 249 gram limit, but that isn't important to me. I don't usually run with the headlight mount and sometimes don't use a strobe on top either- but 99.9% of the time use a bottom mounted strobe, whether it be the Arc II or Arc V. Removing the mount knocks it down to 286 grams with 4 strobes. I think the leg extensions are 14 grams if memory serves. I haven't tested using only the red/green arm strobes, but I think they'd be fine alone in most conditions.

As a side note, if weight isn't the issue I highly recommend the leg extenders. If nothing else, it can help prevent your drone from becoming and inadvertant weed-whacker and gives more than adequate clearance for a bottom mounted strobe. JMO/YMMV.

1607017641369.png
1607018170042.png

Reactions: MA2 317
I use a pair of Ulanzi DR-02s , and for the price theyre a solid buy.
Maybe not as bright as the firehouse strobes , but like you said , they charge a extortionate amount of money for shipping so never had one.
The Ulanzi DR-02 has the advantage of being able to strobe RED GREEN or WHITE at the touch of a button. They also hold their charge for ages and don't weigh much. The lens and case may add a tiny bit of weight but to you get a waterproof product in return. For the money they're worth giving a shot
Hi, thanks for giving us this review can you help to say if it is really visible at low light to say 3km as advertised?

Their previous one dr-01 does not look remotely capable of such visibility.

Also if you can help to take some close up pictures of the Led bulbs themselves I'd be very grateful. I'm trying to visually see the make and model of the LED bulbs. These Chinese strobes are still trying to use 1W leds and supplying each with less than that, so if they do step up to Cree / osram 5w led then they are getting serious...

Hi, thanks for giving us this review can you help to say if it is really visible at low light to say 3km as advertised?

Their previous one dr-01 does not look remotely capable of such visibility.

Also if you can help to take some close up pictures of the Led bulbs themselves I'd be very grateful. I'm trying to visually see the make and model of the LED bulbs. These Chinese strobes are still trying to use 1W leds and supplying each with less than that, so if they do step up to Cree / osram 5w led then they are getting serious...
Since the other guy didn't answer and I just got 3 of these in the mail today I'll tell you what I think.

They are bright! I dont have anything to compare them to but the fast strobing white is way too bright to look at.

They also have a slower blinking mode and can strobe or blink in white, green and red.

I got 3 to do one of each color. The white is by far the brightest and for $15 each I think they are a good buy. No idea how long they will last but we'll see.

Link to a quick video I made.

Last edited:
Close up of LED's. No idea if these are the good ones or not. Im guessing for $15 they are not.

Attachments

• 1214201623.jpg
    1214201623.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 32
Reactions: lee82gx
Since the other guy didn't answer and I just got 3 of these in the mail today I'll tell you what I think.

They are bright! I dont have anything to compare them to but the fast strobing white is way too bright to look at.

They also have a slower blinking mode and can strobe or blink in white, green and red.

I got 3 to do one of each color. The white is by far the brightest and for $15 each I think they are a good buy. No idea how long they will last but we'll see.

Link to a quick video I made.

Thanks. The LED bulbs do not look like osram / Phillips / Cree. At least not to me. Looking forward to see if they can be visible from afar...!

Reactions: Rigle
I too am 'in the market' for the brightest strobe I can find.

Firstly be careful about claims as to how far away the strobe can be seen as sometimes this is at NIGHT.

Most do NOT which state how many lumens (brightness) they emit and some state something like 3W (watts) CREE LED (eg Firehouse Dual Cree) which equates to only 270 lumens.
The LUME CUBE claims 500 lumens at about $US55
I have seen a ULANZI DR-02 listed as 10W (watts) which equates to 900 lumens so very bright at about $US55
The Firehouse Arc 'V' at whopping 1000 lumens at about $US66
Strobon (brand) strobes (mentioned elsewhere somewhere here) don't seem to list watts or lumens and as they are quite cheap I would not think they are very bright although they claim visibility at 3 miles AT NIGHT.
Also WHITE strobes are said to be the brightest.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Rigle

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf