DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unable to find replacement IMU

niemer05

Reactions
So, like many others with the MA1, I for no reason, started getting the dreaded "main controller data error" message after it sat for a few months. I have taken the unit apart thanks to this forum, and removed the IMU and even just tried re-seating the cable. No luck. After putting it all back together, still getting the error. NOW the big problem: I can't find a replacement IMU for the MA1. I can find some on eBay for the Mavic Air 2, but, I'm sure that won't work....will it? If anyone has some insight on where I can get a new IMU, that would be amazing.

Reactions: ReneFrederiksen
I do know this , that DJI rarely will ever replace just the IMU without replacing the entire motherboard as the IMU is not always the whole problem.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic Pro in the Rain and Float on Water.

I do know this , that DJI rarely will ever replace just the IMU without replacing the entire motherboard as the IMU is not always the whole problem.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic Pro in the Rain and Float on Water.
I'm not worried about DJI replacing the IMU, I'll do it, I just can't seem to find one for the MA1 anywhere

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
This thread is very timely.

The school I teach at has a MA1. I put it away last March when we went remote due to covid. Upon returning at the start of this school year, I discovered the drone has the exact problem in the OP. I too tore it down and reconnected everything only to find it still doesn’t work.

I’d like to find a replacement IMU as well, so I’m hoping someone has a source.

This thread is very timely.

The school I teach at has a MA1. I put it away last March when we went remote due to covid. Upon returning at the start of this school year, I discovered the drone has the exact problem in the OP. I too tore it down and reconnected everything only to find it still doesn’t work.

I’d like to find a replacement IMU as well, so I’m hoping someone has a source.

Worth checking first, if you remove the IMU and give it a gentle tap against a hard surface it may restore functionality. The IMU is comprised of micro-machined mechanical parts that can ‘stick’.

Worth checking first, if you remove the IMU and give it a gentle tap against a hard surface it may restore functionality. The IMU is comprised of micro-machined mechanical parts that can ‘stick’.
Thanks for the thought. Tried that when I had it apart. Still no go.

It's very frustrating that drones that aren't THAT OLD can't be fixed. It seems that this is a fairly common issue with the Mavic Air.

I'm having a hard time finding OEM batteries for my personal Mavic Pro too.

Same problem here. Drone has had little use and no crashes. Now it is an expensive brick. I also disassembled and tried some of the recommended fixes with no luck...
If anyone finds a line on the IMUs please let us know.

Hi all
I too had this issue follow this guys video
when you get to take IMU apart 8min4sec clean most of the old paste out (you wont get it all) then heat it with a hair dryer close for about 2 mins this reseats solder then fill ( fill so when you put cover on it squeezes out of the side clean off excess)with new paste
Put it back together and away you go error fixed
I think if you dont use them for a while the paste dries and doesn't disperse the heat correctly causing shrinkage on components
Anyway worth a try as i couldn't find a replacement IMU
Cheers
Fordy

Reactions: mrwagdog
Hi all
I too had this issue follow this guys video
when you get to take IMU apart 8min4sec clean most of the old paste out (you wont get it all) then heat it with a hair dryer close for about 2 mins this reseats solder then fill ( fill so when you put cover on it squeezes out of the side clean off excess)with new paste
Put it back together and away you go error fixed
I think if you dont use them for a while the paste dries and doesn't disperse the heat correctly causing shrinkage on components
Anyway worth a try as i couldn't find a replacement IMU
Cheers
Fordy
Thanks - going to try this as there is nothing to lose at this point.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000