DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unable to take off.

shb

Reactions
This is an email I just sent to DJI about my mission just now, that almost didn't make it home.

I flew a long mission today, 8.2 miles, 22 minutes. It came back within signal range 26 minutes later, and only had 15 percent of battery left. It was still 4000 ft away, so I just let it go, and hoped it would make it home. It made it home, and landed, with exactly 10% battery left. This is on a mission that maybe should have used only 60% battery. So in this case, shouldn't it have done a low battery return to home way before it let it get down to 15%? Now I'm thinking that the mission where I lost my drone in Thailand, could have been related to this because, it was almost exactly the same length and distance.
After this, I changed battery,because I had one more Mission I wanted to fly. When I went to try to fly, it said unable to take off. I turned the drone off, took out the battery, put the battery back in, turned it on, and it still said unable to take off. What would cause it to say unable to take off? Maybe because it was too hot?
Another question I have, is I'm using the smart RC to plan the mission, but when I try to zoom in on Google Maps, it won't zoom into the full resolution, so I can't see what buildings may be in the way of my mission. It is connected to the internet, so that should not be a problem. Why would it not zoom into the full resolution of Google Maps?
Thanks, Steve

Now I'm in my room and it's 25 minutes later, and it's still saying unable to take off! Houston, we have problem.

Last edited:
If you had touched the "Unable to ......" message the app would probably have told you the reason why.

If you had touched the "Unable to ......" message the app would probably have told you the reason why.
I did, and it said some stuff, but I didn't write it down. Guess I can do it again. I'm reading about in on the internet now.

This is what it says:remote controller still not bound/still confirming binding status(code 16100089) there us a red ball before that so I think this is what's preventing me from flying.

Then there is a yellow ball followed by: Aircraft not in flight. Vision systems and obstacle avoidance disabled.

Some background. Yesterday was the the first day I flew with the smart rc I got with my mavic 3 pro fly more combo. Previously, I had been flying with my old RC-N1 with my tablet. So I had to bind the smart controller yesterday, even though it came with the drone! Now it keeps giving me a message saying something like the binding isn't permanent and I can ignore it a few times, but eventually I have to make the binding permanent. Pretty screwed up IMO.

This is what it says:remote controller still not bound/still confirming binding status(code 16100089) there us a red ball before that so I think this is what's preventing me from flying.

Then there is a yellow ball followed by: Aircraft not in flight. Vision systems and obstacle avoidance disabled.

Some background. Yesterday was the the first day I flew with the smart rc I got with my mavic 3 pro fly more combo. Previously, I had been flying with my old RC-N1 with my tablet. So I had to bind the smart controller yesterday, even though it came with the drone! Now it keeps giving me a message saying something like the binding isn't permanent and I can ignore it a few times, but eventually I have to make the binding permanent. Pretty screwed up IMO
The pairing is not permanent. Only good for 5 flights. Binding can be permanent, as long as you never fly more than 5 flights with an unbound RC that you only pair with.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
If I told you, it would be 1,000 pages long.
I don't own a bindable drone but from what I have seen on this forum and elsewhere, I have read of, and would guess that, when you first connected the smart controller to the drone you were given a warning telling you that the controller was not bound to the drone and that you would be limited to five flights whilst the controller remained unbound to teh drone, would that be correct?
If so, DJI warned you in advance what would happen, that's not stupid or at least not in my book but, if the warning was given, ignoring it ....... hmmmm?
On the other hand I would question the wisdom and legality of
I flew a long mission today, 8.2 miles, 22 minutes. It came back within signal range 26 minutes later, and only had 15 percent of battery left. It was still 4000 ft away,
By implication and you have no idea what happened to the drone in those 26 minutes nor what it encountered or endangered.
All the more so when you have already lost one drone in, by your own words, similar circumstances.
Now I'm thinking that the mission where I lost my drone in Thailand, could have been related to this because, it was almost exactly the same length and distance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smooth Rhythm
Setting waypoint missions where you know that the drone will lose signal to the RC will always be risky. Spending that amount of money on a drone and sending it on that type of a mission is called a suicidal mission because you never know if the drone will return, its electronics and prone to failure. I enjoy long range flights but fly till my drone signal to RC goes really bad and before the flight I ensure to check that the safety is set to RTH in the event of signal loss.

It's your money so we can't tell you how to fly your drone but know the risks associated with those types of flights.

You didn't provide enough information for anyone to give more than a guess.
There are a a few possibilities, but the obvious one is wind.
Wind is what i think too, but the drone detects wind, so it should know to do a low battery rth. I've had missions when it did a low battery rth and came back with 40% battery. What other information do you need. Speed was 25mph. No hovering.

Just read what happened here. I'm connected to my drone, getting video, controlling everything, but can't fly. And you still have to ask why i think they're stupid?
And you still have to ask why i think they're stupid?
Yes I do have to ask. After all in post 6 you said
Ok I fixed it. I can take off now.
which prompts me to ask.
Which is correct, "Ok I fixed it. I can take off now. " or "but can't fly"?
With regards to
the smart controller doesn't automatically connect to the wifi like any phone will do.
my phones/tablets don't automatically connect ot the internet, I don't know if that was the default setting but I certainly switch the connection off after having been connected. Many people would regard automatic connection being disabled a blessing rather than stupidty.

Anyhow I have wasted enough time in this thread so ...... auf Wiedersehen.

It should of been bound when i bought them together, but apparently it wasn't permanent.
It is still bound to the original controller, unless you unbound it. It just needs to be re-paired with the bound controller. Binding is permanent, unless you, yourself, unbind it.

Yes I do have to ask. After all in post 6 you said

which prompts me to ask.
Which is correct, "Ok I fixed it. I can take off now. " or "but can't fly"?
With regards to

my phones/tablets don't automatically connect ot the internet, I don't know if that was the default setting but I certainly switch the connection off after having been connected. Many people would regard automatic connection being disabled a blessing rather than stupidty.

Anyhow I have wasted enough time in this thread so ...... auf Wiedersehen.
I didn't really fix it. I complied to DJI stupid requirement. I just started the smart rc again, and it didn't connect to the internet. I guess they know something every other internet device maker doesn't. Why would you want to disconnect it automatically. That's crazy.

It is still bound to the original controller, unless you unbound it. It just needs to be re-paired with the bound controller. Binding is permanent, unless you, yourself, unbind it.
I didn't unbind it. I just bound a different rc to it, and DJI unbound it. So for the rest of my life, I'm gonna have to bind it everytime I change between controllers. That's stupid. I walked into a restaurant that I've been to before, and it automatically connects me to their wifi. Isn't that good?

Reactions: Touring497
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair